• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kyoung05
I just tried some of the Makers 46 this weekend. Wasn't bad - to me, it definitely tasted nothing like the standard Makers, which I believe has little to no rye. The 46, on the other hand, was definitely spicy - kind of like Bulleit, but sweeter. Definitely not bad, but not my favorite to drink neat. I ended up adding a splash of water to take off some of the roughness, and it was a bit more enjoyable. Given its spiciness, it'd probably make a decent Manhattan in a pinch (if no rye is available). I wouldn't order it again, but definitely worth trying if you get the chance.

Its pretty interesting. I don't love it, but I like it better than regular Makers. The extra spiciness is achieved not by upping the rye in the mashbill, but by dropping some staves of French oak into barrels of regular Makers and aging them for an extra 10 - 11 months or something like that.

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
Its pretty interesting. I don't love it, but I like it better than regular Makers. The extra spiciness is achieved not by upping the rye in the mashbill, but by dropping some staves of French oak into barrels of regular Makers and aging them for an extra 10 - 11 months or something like that.

Now that's really interesting. I would never have guessed that a bourbon made from a mashbill containing no rye at all (I think?) could have such spiciness to it. It's really remarkable that they can take a finished product like the original Makers Mark and transform it so drastically in less than a year's time with just the addition of a few staves.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kyoung05
Now that's really interesting. I would never have guessed that a bourbon made from a mashbill containing no rye at all (I think?) could have such spiciness to it. It's really remarkable that they can take a finished product like the original Makers Mark and transform it so drastically in less than a year's time with just the addition of a few staves.

Yea, it is pretty cool. French oak is really interesting stuff. It is very spicy and strong. Another interesting French oak application is Spice Tree by Compass Box. It tastes like a spiced scotch, but all it is is French oak influence (barrel heads and some staves, I think, not even full barrels!)

Also, you are correct about Makers. It is a wheated bourbon, so no rye.

tdangio

Reaction score
Anyone heard anything about the 2010 release of the Antique Collection or did I miss something?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tdangio
Anyone heard anything about the 2010 release of the Antique Collection or did I miss something?

Jeez, I guess this means I've been sitting on those bottles of Stagg for ...a while now. Long enough for new ones to be released.
frown.gif

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tdangio

Would expect them anyday. They seem to have gotten very sought after in the past year or so, at least according to the place I buy my whiskey. Lot of flipping happening, which really ******* sucks for those of us who are looking to buy it to enjoy it..
ffffuuuu.gif

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Would expect them anyday. They seem to have gotten very sought after in the past year or so, at least according to the place I buy my whiskey. Lot of flipping happening, which really ******* sucks for those of us who are looking to buy it to enjoy it..
ffffuuuu.gif

I heard end of October, but I expect them sooner, they were out around this time last year. Really looking forward to the three high ABV ones!

tdangio

Reaction score
It's might be tough for me to nab any this year because I'm staffed in Honolulu and will only be back in the mainland the second and fourth weekends in October and then the first weekend in November in the prime time to grab some bottles.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Just going to officially declare today as the start of my building of a cabinet of bourbons, varying from half-decent to excellent. I shall post as they accumulate. Hopefully it will graduate from a modest collection to something enviable. First bottle: Basil Hayden 8 year old.
img00228201010022349.jpg

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cid
Traditional opening day of dove season bourbon tasting and shoot.

Pappy 15yr won

Pappy 15 is incredible stuff but the price is getting out of hand. It was ~$50 a few years back, and is now $70+ around here.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
^That is not out of hand. Pappy 20 year is $160 here.

That's about $60 more than what I've seen it in most places. I have seen the 15 year for anywhere from $50 to $70, but highest I have ever seen 20 year old was just under a hundred bucks. It's very good, but at $160, I'd probably drink it a lot less.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
That's about $60 more than what I've seen it in most places. I have seen the 15 year for anywhere from $50 to $70, but highest I have ever seen 20 year old was just under a hundred bucks. It's very good, but at $160, I'd probably drink it a lot less.

Around here the 15 is $60, the 20 is $110 and the Buffalo Trace Antiques are $60 - $70. I would not pay $160 for Pappy 20, that is way out of line.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
love me some bourbon....neat...Buffalo trace...

When mixed, im not picky, I like manhattans and old fashioneds quite a bit. Or just a JD and coke.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads