• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter/Hiking Boots with SCs/suits...

andr3pwd

Reaction score
All For this coming Michigan winter looking for some winter/hiking style boots to wear instead of galoshes when going between parking and office, running out at lunch and so on. On the Belvest web site for the 2010 winter collection they paired some perfectly (The Belvest site is flash based so can not link directly to images but you can find some here, http://www.belvest.com/) as well as some images below. So where can I get some that appear this lightweight and are hopefully waterproof and insulated with good traction?
belvest1.jpg
belvest2.jpg
belvest3.jpg
belvest4.jpg
These LL Bean's and Red Wing's are pretty close but more rugged/bulky than I was looking for - wonder if you guys know of other options: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/14774...=65635-ppxsrr1 http://www.redwingshoes.com/productd...px?prodid=2047 Thanks for any help or advice Andrew

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own those Bean boots and used them extensively this past winter walking to/from work (...when DC freakishly got more snow than any lower-48 city shy of Buffalo). Under no circumstances would I wear those with a suit. They are clunkier than they look and the eyelets would chew up the cuffs of any wool trousers I own. If the weather required boots that crazy, I'd be wearing flannel-lined khakis instead. To be worn with a suit, and absolutely requiring a real (not half-) lugged sole? I'd venture something like this instead.

EricE.

Reaction score
seriously, dont go for either one of these options. if you really want hiking boots, get vintage ones. like so: http://www.pediwear.co.uk/paraboot/products/3043.php if you want something that you can wear with your suit, get chukkas with dainite sole (standard answer) or a brogue boot (even though i think they look too bulky - but to each his own
wink.gif
) like so: http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/3462.php Also, you could consider something with a veldtschoen construction, definetely waterproof and can be worn in EVERY bad weather. http://www.pediwear.co.uk/sargent/products/99.php regards, ... i just see, you want something lightweight...with that in mind, i think that the only options are "modern" shoes like you showed. with all these options i showed you before, there comes a certain weight, the sole, the leather, etc. (still wearable though, if you dont want to run a marathon in them)

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There was a page of hiking boots in the latest Details. They had a few different brands listed.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EricE.
if you want something that you can wear with your suit, get chukkas with dainite sole (standard answer)

x2.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the hiking boots OP posted look much better (as seen in the photos he included) than anything else that's been suggested. However, functionality should probably outweigh aesthetic concerns in terms of winter weather footwear, and I think this point might be a critical one:
Originally Posted by random-adam
They are clunkier than they look and the eyelets would chew up the cuffs of any wool trousers I own.
Can anyone speak with certainty from experience?

andr3pwd

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys. This is as much function as form to deal with the snow, slush, ice and salt, keep my toes warm and save my real shoes. That and to double as wears when I shovel snow and walk the dogs. Not sure chukkas will come close to being waterproof and I'd not want to destroy veldtschoen sargents. Will keep looking.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fracap and Diemme available at Tres Bien and Oi Polloi

andr3pwd

Reaction score
OK So decided to order some Fracap M100's. Couldn't find a source in US so contacted Fracap and they offered to build some - got to pick all materials (suede, polished vs opaque leather), wide range of colors, hardware, etc. Could have gone with crazy contrasting back panels, bellows/tongue, ankle padding, stitching, etc. but ended up going with a more traditional, vintage hiking boot look. Dark brown with regular brown suede padding, bronze D-rings all the way (avoid potential for quick release hooks to snag pants) which they moved to outside the bellows per my request as opposed to on them in the standard M100 and a rubber vibram sole. Here are pictures they sent me:
m100-mod1.jpg
M100modif.jpg
They were mailed a few days ago so will let you know how they are in person when I get them.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^ like the boot, but wouldn't wear it with a suit unless it was a tweed or heavy flannel, and it would have to be snowing heavily outside.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads