• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christmas Party

chrisb0109

Reaction score
I know this is a little early, but I want some time to plan. I will be attending an office Christmas party in December and am looking for advice on attire.

I do not work at the company, but will be accompanying the CEO's daughter whom I have been dating for several years. For some back story, I know her family very well and am very comfortable around them. No need to worry about first impressions or impressing them. I have also attended the company's Christmas party twice before, but I was younger and much less serious about clothing. I wore simple trousers and shirt, tie-less and jacket-less. Looking back I was vastly underdressed but was not the only one, so it wasn't really a problem.

I personally am in a creative field (photography), as is my girlfriend (fashion). I am really never required to wear a suit and have little need to be in extremely conservative environments. Thus, I really do not own extremely conservative suits. As I intend to wear a suit and tie this year, I am wondering what the consensus is about the level of conservatism, or lack their of, in my attire.

My suits are all heavily textured, peak lapel, or pinstriped. I am very comfortable in all of them.

Would you find the following suits to be extremely disagreeable in this circumstance? I also have the textured peak lapel in navy. I can guarantee that just about everyone will be in a grey SB notch lapel with white shirt and geometrically patterned tie. or a blue blazer and trousers.

Photo09261612_1.jpg

_MG_9596.jpg

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not in love with either but they both look more than adequate, especially given you've attended twice previously while "vastly underdressed."

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think either looks are perfectly adequate for an office Christmas part.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first seems to me better suited to a festive event -- peak lapels, lack of pinstripes.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisb0109
I know this is a little early, but I want some time to plan. I will be attending an office Christmas party in December and am looking for advice on attire.

I do not work at the company, but will be accompanying the CEO's daughter whom I have been dating for several years. For some back story, I know her family very well and am very comfortable around them. No need to worry about first impressions or impressing them. I have also attended the company's Christmas party twice before, but I was younger and much less serious about clothing. I wore simple trousers and shirt, tie-less and jacket-less. Looking back I was vastly underdressed but was not the only one, so it wasn't really a problem.

I personally am in a creative field (photography), as is my girlfriend (fashion).

Everything about this poast screams "WIN."

Marrying up/marrying rich FTW.

Joe Cool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisb0109
I personally am in a creative field (photography)

Photo09261612_1.jpg

_MG_9596.jpg

As a photographer?

chrisb0109

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joe Cool
As a photographer?
I don't understand the question. Do I dress like this as a photographer? Or will I attend as a photographer?

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would you even want to go? Why would your girlfriend want to go? No one who is there wants to be there. They certainly won't be happy to see you, the potential benefactor of their hard labor. Go do something useful, instead, for people who don't have jobs.

chrisb0109

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZON_JR
Why would you even want to go? Why would your girlfriend want to go? No one who is there wants to be there. They certainly won't be happy to see you, the potential benefactor of their hard labor. Go do something useful, instead, for people who don't have jobs.

What?

Its fun. There is good food. Why wouldn't people want to be there? Everyone seems to enjoy themselves.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In this economic climate, I think it shows real compassion to use as little fabric as possible, not even covering the ass.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The grey would be the best choice, pin-stripes are too business-like for a party.

Eight

Reaction score
I add my positive opinion to the "grey one is more festive" option. I think it's the fabric and cut.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
In this economic climate, I think it shows real compassion to use as little fabric as possible, not even covering the ass.

laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads