• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foryoureyesonly

If I was wearing a Seiko, I would feel utterly embarrassed amongst those other watches.

Seriously? That sounds utterly ridiculous to me.

Just to add: your average american has never heard of tissot and it's not going to hold any particular status in and of itself in the minds of most people. It's a respectable entry level watch among watch people, but then again so is Seiko.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There lies the problem, I would never be embarrassed wearing something that cost less than the other person. You have a different definition for the word "respectable."

Like I said, a regular person who knows nothing about watches might not know what Tissot is, you are better off wearing a designer watch like Burberry than Tissot if you want your watch recognized. Otherwise, just stay with the Tag Heuer.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I refuse to wear TIssot or any other brands in that range. I view them as cheap, pointless watches that wouldn't ever touch my wrist.

jeannoob

Reaction score
On the other hand, I refuse to wear Seiko, Citizen, Invicta, or any other brands in that range that I'm assuming you could purchase at Walmart. Whether that's true or not, I don't know, but I view them as cheap, pointless watches that wouldn't ever touch my wrist.

They tell time just like the brands which you so desire. If you think that's so 'pointless' then why invest into more expensive watches that function exactly the same?

If I was wearing a Seiko, I would feel utterly embarrassed amongst those other watches.

really? i happen to own a seiko and ive gotten a lot of compliments about it. not to mention its quite reliable and durable. i dont see why youd be embarassed.

you sound like a pretty vain kid. just buy a watch that YOU like instead of worrying about what others see as respectable or prestigious. honestly, the average person isn't even going to base their perception on you by the watch you wear.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
You go to a doctor's visit and your doctor is wearing a Rolex. Do you feel embarrassed by having a Tissot or like no big deal, they're both great watches even though his costs a ton more?

The last time I went to a doctor he pressed a flashlight against my scrotum. I did not consider what type of watch he was wearing.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand all this Seiko hate. They are great watches. All this "Swiss made" crap is 99% hype. Most of the movements are all the same. Why would anyone be embarassed to wear a Seiko?

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Heck, I'd love a Fortis watch, but I've never seen one in person, and they are way out of my price range. Let me explain in one more way about what I mean by a watch being respectable. I think this is the best description yet: You go to a doctor's visit and your doctor is wearing a Rolex. Do you feel embarrassed by having a Tissot or like no big deal, they're both great watches even though his costs a ton more? You're in a business meeting and a rich executive is wearing a Breitling, do you feel embarrassed or that even though his watch is so much more expensive, that yours is still worth of respect, despite the price difference. I would absolutely NOT feel embarrassed wearing an Oris watch in either one of those situations--just different and a matter of preference VERSUS buying it because I can't afford a super expensive watch. I'm just still trying to get a better idea of the Tissot brand though. I'm sure this makes pretty good sense. If I was wearing a Seiko, I would feel utterly embarrassed amongst those other watches.
I know what you mean man... Last time I was in the room with someone who was wearing something better than I was, I had a nervous breakdown. I had to leave the room to hide my tears. How fragile is your psyche? Grow some balls or spend the cash and stop complaining. fwiw, i want a seiko but i don't wear watches very often so i haven't bought one

el Bert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would probably feel better than someone with a Rolex honestly because Rolex are basically just that, just another Rolex it's always the same. Honestly most watched use the basic Vouljoux ETA 7750 25 jewel movement, most watches with this will vary in price range from $500 to $10,000+ it just depends on what you want. Rolex is just another brand name is what I'm saying, they're still highly manufactured but because they're modified they take longer produce and at times also use precious metals which drive up the price. As for the German watches you could always buy them on eBay a lot of people sell them with original manufacturer warranties, boxes, papers, etc. Another brand which is really good and is simple is Stowa, which are basically made to order. I think they take in orders every 3 months but I could be wrong.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mvpberto
I would probably feel better than someone with a Rolex honestly because Rolex are basically just that, just another Rolex it's always the same. Honestly most watched use the basic Vouljoux ETA 7750 25 jewel movement, most watches with this will vary in price range from $500 to $10,000+ it just depends on what you want. Rolex is just another brand name is what I'm saying, they're still highly manufactured but because they're modified they take longer produce and at times also use precious metals which drive up the price.

Valjoux 7750 is actually a chrono movement, the most common chrono movement but the most basic is the ETA 2824, now monopolized by the Swatch Group.

Rolex doesn't use these basic ETA movement, they actually still has an in-house movement. However, since they produce so much a year, most people doesn't consider it as an in-house movement anymore but Rolexes movement is still their own and not related to the ETA movement the Swatch Group owns. Rolexes price is mainly due to the name and the fact that they restrict discounts as much as possible, even closing up authorized dealers if caught giving discounts, thus driving the re-sale price up and making it more desirable. Rolex has gotten a bad name from douchebags who consider it as a mark of success but overall, a Rolex is still a great and robust classically designed watch. They haven't gone too far away from their designs and that is why a 10 year old submariner doesn't look outdated and still garner a high price on the used market.

Abliss

Reaction score
I would go with a Seiko, and if possible get a used Omega. Omega is in my opinion one of the best brands - have a few myself.

At Ebay, Seiko is possible to get at the price of a Tissot, but i am not saying that Tissot is a bad brand, it is (in my opinion) just one of those blah brands that noone really knows or cares about.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Abliss
I would go with a Seiko, and if possible get a used Omega. Omega is in my opinion one of the best brands - have a few myself.

At Ebay, Seiko is possible to get at the price of a Tissot, but i am not saying that Tissot is a bad brand, it is (in my opinion) just one of those blah brands that noone really knows or cares about.

The thing is, Seiko in the U.S. is viewed differently compared to the rest of the world. Their cheap watches that can be bought in most department stores really killed its image. I mean Seiko is still decent but most of the ones sold everywhere looks cheap. Just go to Macys.com and check out their selection, it is nothing compared to the well made watches w/ great movements sold in Japan.

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
i'm too busy looking at how sick my Bell & Ross is to notice what other people are wearing.

but B&R is more than you are looking to spend. buy a movado. everyone at the mall will recognize it and they go great with black cell phone belt clips.

Abliss

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
The thing is, Seiko in the U.S. is viewed differently compared to the rest of the world. Their cheap watches that can be bought in most department stores really killed its image. I mean Seiko is still decent but most of the ones sold everywhere looks cheap. Just go to Macys.com and check out their selection, it is nothing compared to the well made watches w/ great movements sold in Japan.

Oh, did not know that.

Its a funny thing how perception works. Most people i know that really got money and buy watches steers miles away from ex. Rolex, its just too flashy and not very subtle. While others who buy Rolex as the first because to them its the ultimate status symbol.

I would like to change my above comment, and just say: If you like Tissot then buy it, do not care what other people think.

Abliss

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sq4you
i'm too busy looking at how sick my Bell & Ross is to notice what other people are wearing.

but B&R is more than you are looking to spend. buy a movado. everyone at the mall will recognize it and they go great with black cell phone belt clips.

Arent Bell & Ross those BIG military things? Just like Panerai?

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bell & Ross are known for their military inspired square watches, most based on airplane instruments. But they also have a good range of their vintage watches. They recently released these nice vintage officer watch collection that is more toned down and not so big.
bellandross-vintageofficer-watch-selectism-2-444x540.jpg
bellandross-vintageofficer-watch-selectism-0.jpg

bell-and-ross-vintage-original-heritage-line-watches-selectism-0.jpg
bell-ross-vintage-br-series-watches-selectism-0.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads