• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heritage Clothing: Will it last?

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uncontrol;3659887 This is a totally ridiculous statement. The implication that they did not care about what they were making simply because it was not conforming to your ideal of "classic said:
QFT
QFT
QFT

Can we stop acting like "heritage" clothing is the only stuff made with care or attention? It's the worst kind of nostalgia.

baba booey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
The OP obviously means it as "will it last [as a major aesthetic/trend] and the answer is no.

This is a totally ridiculous statement. The implication that they did not care about what they were making simply because it was not conforming to your ideal of "classic, quality staples" or whatever ridiculous definition you've invented is totally heinous. There are loads of quality manufacturers and designers that wouldn't touch workwear with a ten foot pole. I can guarantee that brands like Julius "care" a lot more than Levi's. For ****'s sake.

You grabbed half of a sentence from the OP and twisted it around. All I think he is trying to say is with the heritage/americana trend comes brands that actually produce clothing at a higher standard of quality. For example, WWM, EG, LVC, Red Wings, etc... These brands have been front and center because of the "trend," and get labeled workwear/americana or whatever. I think these brands will still be around after the trend, but that is a different topic. Basically, the OP is only saying he notices more brands that show a higher level of quality now, than when the trend did not exist.

On a separate note, why is the anti-Americana/Heritiage/classic clothing crowd seem the angriest. You are the first bunch to jump in and say we hope it dies or it won't be around much longer. Such hatred...and Julius isn't touching workwear the same way Levi's isn't touching this....
julius_destroyed-cardigan.jpg

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by baba booey
My guess is heritage outlasts these looks.

rickowensspring.jpg

mcqueenmf092.jpg

Actually I'd debate against this.

I would put forth a comparison to music. If you take for instance, a band such as Led Zeppelin, they were hugely popular in their time and were respected for their work both then and now. But their listenership has certainly dropped since their heyday. On the other hand you have a musician like Steve Reich who was making avant-garde music that was never popular, but relatively, his listenership has likely GROWN over the past 40 years or so. When one listens to Led Zeppelin it sounds older, whereas Steve Reich on the other hand blows your mind because it sounds futuristic even 40 years after it was made... Same with someone like Stravinski. The people who considered it hogwash will always consider it hogwash.

Rick Owens and Alexander McQueen are only appreciated by a small portion of the population relative to workwear, and that portion of the population will very likely continue to appreciate them... On the other hand, while the diehard workwear fans will continue to love workwear, most people are just doing it because it's "stylish right now" and will move on to the next trend as workwear becomes "uncool" again. I would say relative to their initial appeal, McQueen has more staying power than workwear... How often do you see someone wearing head-to-toe McQueen? Whether someone does that today, tomorrow, or 40 years from now, it's going to be striking. The average joe will never appreciate it. But it's the same way listening to Steve Reich today sounds like it should have been recorded in the future even though it was recorded far in the past.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
Ironic thread title win.

I completely thought this thread was going to be about the life-span of thrifted items, no joke.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
Ironic thread title win.

You get my text yesterday?

lol mall shoppers talking about quality

hastur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
You get my text yesterday?

lol mall shoppers talking about quality

i figured out why jet hates workwear

it's because he's a classist shithead

heh, fuckin poors think they're stylish, shopping at shopping malls. who do they think they are, thinking they know what quality is?

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hastur

heh, fuckin poors think they're stylish, shopping at shopping malls. who do they think they are, thinking they know what quality is?

lol8[1].gif

No different then those marsupials wearing ed hardy and true religion to show how much money they have. Lanvin and MMM is the new Ed Hardy (can't wait for the fanboys to read that).

eczerwonka

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hastur

Water is wet
smile.gif

After lurking here for a while now, I pray for the day that asshole gets his hands cut off by some freak accident so he cannot post or he just loses his job and everything he owns. My god that would be so sweet.

There's always one or two on every board that just get under my skin with every post. ******* assholes.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Workwear marsupials unite!!!

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure why there is an assumption that simple nostalgia-driven clothing is better made or has some kind of a shaper focus on materials than the ***** euro **** that all us 'elites' love. But as you can see a **** premise in the op has resulted in a **** thread with **** opinions/posts*

*pre-emptively excluding mine so dont even try it noobs.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by baba booey
Y Such hatred...and Julius isn't touching workwear the same way Levi's isn't touching this....[/IMG]

aaaand you totally missed the point. my point wasn't that levis is better or worse than julius. my point was that loads of brands in entirely different "genres" make clothes with attention to detail and quality. this is not exclusive to workwear, nor is it even most present in workwear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads