• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

foryoureyesonly

Reaction score
I'm wondering what the watch community and the general public think of Tissot watches. I had a TAG Heuer that I wore for about 3 years (got it cheap, less than $1k, I refuse to pay more than $1k for a watch until I'm really, really ballin', even then I might not, I know that sounds crazy to watch people, but I just can't justify it), but sold it because I got sick of wearing something for prestige that I didn't even really think was that interesting and cool looking of a watch. I know, sounds a bit crazy because that sort of is what watches are about, right? On the other hand, I refuse to wear Seiko, Citizen, Invicta, or any other brands in that range that I'm assuming you could purchase at Walmart. Whether that's true or not, I don't know, but I view them as cheap, pointless watches that wouldn't ever touch my wrist. Basically, I won't buy anything that's not Swiss Made. I went to a local jeweler and came across this watch: http://www.shoptissot.com/product/T17148653.html http://www.amazon.com/Tissot-T17-1-4...6026053&sr=1-2 It's one of the most beautiful, sturdily built watches I've come across in the sub-1k range as I really don't like wearing something out and about that's worth so much money, but as much as I like it, am I going to be viewed as a poor bastard or is Tissot a respectable brand that one can be proud of wearing? Instead of suggesting other sub-1k alternatives, I'm really just curious about the question I asked. Even though I like the way the Tissot looks way better than the TAG, I can't convince myself to purchase the Tissot until I get a good opinion of how people view these watches as I do need to uphold a professional appearance. Thanks guys.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems like you want refinement of a Ferrari, but to keep a price point down to a Kia.

FYI, Seiko is not 'cheap'. Their movement is up there and can hang with the best of them.

foryoureyesonly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
It seems like you want refinement of a Ferrari, but to keep a price point down to a Kia. FYI, Seiko is not 'cheap'. Their movement is up there and can hang with the best of them.
Not exactly, Oris watches can be had sub 1k, but I'm much more well of how they're viewed, unlike Tissot, but I don't care too much for most of them, but Oris watches are definitely a respectable brand even though it's not a Ferrari. It's like a BMW 3 or 5 Series. I'm looking for a blend of quality/respectability. A watch that maybe won't upgrade my status, but won't downgrade it either. Obviously prestige doesn't come until you spend thousands of dollars and I'm not trying to get a Ferrari at the pricepoint of a Kia, but at the same time I don't want to get a watch that would negatively effect the perception people had on me. For example an extreme example would be me wearing a Timex. Thoughts are holy crap, that watch sucks. Then because that watch is so damn cheap, it makes my expensive wardrobe look cheap as hell, whereas if you wear a nice watch, it can make your clothes seem even more expensive. It sucks when you really like something, but have to concern yourself with status, but that's just how things are I guess. All I'm asking is if Tissots are viewed in a good light and it's a respectable watch, not asking if it's viewed like AP, VC, IWC, Breitling, and what have you, haha.

Melo

Reaction score
You're sick of wearing a watch for the prestige but you want to know if Tissot looks prestigious?
plain.gif

Just wear one that you like and stop being a tool.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The general population might not even know what Tissot is, they may as well put it int he ranks of Seiko, Citizen, etc... If you are looking for people to know the name, Tag Heuer is the best brand out there. They go on deep discount and are pretty reliable and are well known.

foryoureyesonly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Melo
You're sick of wearing a watch for the prestige but you want to know if Tissot looks prestigious?
plain.gif

Just wear one that you like and stop being a tool.

I'm not asking if Tissot looks prestigious. I'm asking if it looks respectable, which is a massive difference.

Timex = 1987 Toyota Corolla (not respectable)

Oris = BMW 3 or 5 Series (respectable, but not prestigious)

Rolex = Bentley (prestigious)

What I'm asking is if Tissot falls into the category of Oris as a respectable watch, but obviously not prestigious or if it falls into the category of not respectable.

I think my question now as stated in a different way is a pretty reasonable thing to ask.

RustyRyan

Reaction score
Tissot are solid watches at good prices. I own an older Le Locle model and really like it. Good automatic movement and a classy, timeless look for around $300.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foryoureyesonly
I'm not asking if Tissot looks prestigious. I'm asking if it looks respectable, which is a massive difference.

What I'm asking is if Tissot falls into the category of Oris as a respectable watch, but obviously not prestigious or if it falls into the category of not respectable.

I think my question now as stated in a different way is a pretty reasonable thing to ask.

I think it is in the same ranking as Oris but no way is Oris or Tissot a BMW of watches. I say they are the Toyota's, Honda, Nissan, etc.. Cheap and reliable with a bit of style.

Originally Posted by Uncontrol
I can not wrap my head around watch fetishism. As long as it looks good and tells the time who gives a ****? This isn't like clothing where it will age badly, fall apart or whatever. It's all people masturbating over over-complicated movements that nobody will ever know nor give a **** about

It pretty much the same thing when it comes to clothes or shoes. You know people could love a pair of dress shoes but if they found out it isn't handmade or blake stitched, they wouldn't even bother with it even if it is the most gorgeous pair they have ever seen. Might not be the best analogy but you get the idea. You can pretty much say the same with sweaters, leathers, sneakers, shirts, etc... You have to like how it looks first but then ultimately decide if the quality and work that was put into making the item is worth the price.

el Bert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly for the most part it's about the movement considering Tissot is owned by the Swatch group who also own a bunch of various brands, which all are manufactured by the same company, the movement is usually changed to be more precise. It's basically like cars nowadays high end sports cars that usually use the AMG or Corvette engine but our modified to their specifics. Tissot is a good brand, you might want to try something like maybe Tutima, Fortis or Nomos whom are all German brands all are high quality.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tissot mostly uses the same basic ETA movements. Nothing special but it is rather robust.

I like a lot of the German watchmakers but I like seeing watches in the flesh if possible and it is difficult to find a store that carries German brands. They tend to be pricey too since you can't really haggle when purchasing them online.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
It pretty much the same thing when it comes to clothes or shoes. You know people could love a pair of dress shoes but if they found out it isn't handmade or blake stitched, they wouldn't even bother with it even if it is the most gorgeous pair they have ever seen.

Those people are also marsupialed.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
Those people are also marsupialed.

I like to refer to them as fashionly challenged.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foryoureyesonly

These are some asinine analogies, comparing Oris to BMW and Rolex to Bentley
lol8[1].gif

Once you go beyond Rolex into the world of esoteric Swiss watches, you will discover that none of these comparisons make any sense...read up on watches until you become a baller

In the meantime get a preowned Breitling/Omega

foryoureyesonly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Tissot mostly uses the same basic ETA movements. Nothing special but it is rather robust. I like a lot of the German watchmakers but I like seeing watches in the flesh if possible and it is difficult to find a store that carries German brands. They tend to be pricey too since you can't really haggle when purchasing them online.
Agreed. Heck, I'd love a Fortis watch, but I've never seen one in person, and they are way out of my price range. Let me explain in one more way about what I mean by a watch being respectable. I think this is the best description yet: You go to a doctor's visit and your doctor is wearing a Rolex. Do you feel embarrassed by having a Tissot or like no big deal, they're both great watches even though his costs a ton more? You're in a business meeting and a rich executive is wearing a Breitling, do you feel embarrassed or that even though his watch is so much more expensive, that yours is still worth of respect, despite the price difference. I would absolutely NOT feel embarrassed wearing an Oris watch in either one of those situations--just different and a matter of preference VERSUS buying it because I can't afford a super expensive watch. I'm just still trying to get a better idea of the Tissot brand though. I'm sure this makes pretty good sense. If I was wearing a Seiko, I would feel utterly embarrassed amongst those other watches.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads