• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Irregular all clad cookware

TheGoodLife

Reaction score
I was looking for some all clad cookare and basicly stumbled upon a few nice pieces in tj maxx. I'm wondering what is different with irregular pieces and if the difference is severe? I purchased a good size sautÃ
00a9.png
pan for 59.99 when the original price was 125$ and I'm debating going back to the store to purchase the copper core 14inch stir fry pan for 159.99$ when the original price was 345$.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheGoodLife
I was looking for some all clad cookare and basicly stumbled upon a few nice pieces in tj maxx. I'm wondering what is different with irregular pieces and if the difference is severe? I purchased a good size sautÃ
00a9.png
pan for 59.99 when the original price was 125$ and I'm debating going back to the store to purchase the copper core 14inch stir fry pan for 159.99$ when the original price was 345$.

Probably a slight scratch, something cosmetic. I once stumbled on a Dualit toaster that had a scratch in the paint, picked it up for about $100 and I think the retail was $500 or so. That was about 10 years ago and it is still going strong. If you can't tell what the irregularity is, then I would go back and by what you need.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought some irregular all-clad. It depends, of course, but most of my stuff it was a very very small cosmetic defect. For instance, I think my saute pan had a 1" scratch on the bottom. Other stuff had almost imperceptible blemishes.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would hope that the irregulars being sold somewhere like that are mostly cosmetic defects.

Obviously you don't really care if there is a scratch on the outside of your pan (unless you are giving a gleaming new stock pot as a gift or something)...you will get more scratches the first time you cook with it.

If there were other issues--like handle attachment or bonding of the layers in the base (for multi-layer bottomed pans)--then you might want to stay away. I think you would be safe here though as All-Clad would not want to hurt their brand image with defective products ("I bought one of those fancy all-clad pans and the damn handle fell off--back to XX brand for me")

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I would hope that the irregulars being sold somewhere like that are mostly cosmetic defects.

Obviously you don't really care if there is a scratch on the outside of your pan (unless you are giving a gleaming new stock pot as a gift or something)...you will get more scratches the first time you cook with it.

If there were other issues--like handle attachment or bonding of the layers in the base (for multi-layer bottomed pans)--then you might want to stay away. I think you would be safe here though as All-Clad would not want to hurt their brand image with defective products ("I bought one of those fancy all-clad pans and the damn handle fell off--back to XX brand for me")

I can state with certainty that All-Clad only sells irregulars that suffer from cosmetic defects, not functional ones, at least if they're purchased through their outlet.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
If you can't tell what the irregularity is, then I would go back and by what you need.

I've bought all-clad seconds. They should have an "S" imprinted somewhere. I can usually tell what it is, like a handle not perfectly lined up, etc. But if you can't tell, all the better.

cimabue

Reaction score
For those of you wishing to minimize your mistakes in your walk through this veil of tears called Life, I suggest if you had to purchase just one pot/pan from the All Clad Stainless collection it be the 14 inch fryer. A very close second would be the 4-quart saucepan with loop. They are the most versatile and useful. You can cheap out on everything else -- except perhaps your non-stick fryer, 'cause you don't want carcinogenic chemicals leeching into your pork chops -- but these two items from the esteemed American manufacturer are essential.

M'kay?

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is that a 14" skillet? Not that useful unless you have a large family or cook large meals all the time.

I agree about the helper handle. Those damn things should be on every saucepan standard

cimabue

Reaction score
Sorry, I misspoke.

Not the 14" fryer, but the 12" one.

14" is too large.

'Had to measure to be sure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads