• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shopping in NYC - Budget

RangerP

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm from Canada and I'll be heading to NYC for a few days next week. As most people know, we have almost no selection of clothing and shoes in Canada at reasonable prices so I really need to purchase a few items in NYC.

I'm also new to the Style Forum and have just started thinking about what I wear. I'm 24 and on a budget (No 400$ shoes and no 1000$ suits)

I'll be essentially looking for a good pair of dress shoes. Maybe Allen Edmonds, although I tried the Park Avenue before and I was not the biggest fan of the look of the shoe. I just feel like it's a shoe my father would wear. I think I prefer something a little longer.

I also need new suits... desperately. I currently only own 2 and both are disgusting.

Where would you recommend I shop in NYC for deals or good selection?

Remember, I'm from Canada where Park Avenue's from AE are 400$ and NEVER go on sale so I would pay 250$ for AE's no problem. I also don't have a lot of time so I can't be going to 20 different shops hoping to find something on sale.

I don't currently own a Zegna suit but I have tried them on and like how they fit.

I won't we shopping for shirts as I have a 16 1/2 neck and 38 shoulders so I always have to have them MTM.

Thanks for your help!

twosnapsandgo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kirbya
Century 21 is very popular. Located by WTC downtown. You can find some nice things there.

Kirbya is right and Syms. 42 trinity pl, New York - (212) 797-4576 This one is better than

400 Park Ave, New York - (212) 317-8200. Trinity is walking distance from wall street and also if you want to tour south street seaport for fun or you can take a cab it is nice going for a walk sometimes. I haven't been to Syms since I was a kid (which was a few years ago). From what I remember lots of options at very low prices. Lots of named brands. Lots of different color suits.

nerve64

Reaction score
Re: Century 21. Go early in the morning at opening time. Avoid the lunchtime crowd on weekdays. Weekends tend to be crazy with tourists giddy for the sales. The Brooklyn store is actually a much more pleasant and less crowded experience.

RangerP

Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys. I checked out both Century 21's website and Syms' website and both look great. I'll definitely try and make it out to both of these!

In response to Mafooifan: I live in Ottawa, Canada where there is only 2 stores that sell Allen Edmonds. They NEVER go on sale and the Park Avenue retail for 400$ or 425$. If I can get my hands on Allen Edmonds anywhere close to or under 250$, I'm buying.

Thanks again guys!

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Gentleman's Resale on 81st off 2nd Ave will occassionally have shoes, but more suits, trousers, shirts and sportcoats. It's second hand stuff, but generally in very good condition. I've picked up a few budget items there before.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Century 21 for suits, SYMS is hit or miss (as really is Century), and Daffys for odd trousers. Listen though, don't expect to find the "perfect" item (be them shoes, suits or shirts) for bargain prices. I think what makes these places great (C21, Syms, Daffys) is being able to constantly go there, a few times a month, really get to know the stock and when new stock gets in. Don't buy something and compromise one aspect of it, for example, GREAT shoe, wish they had it in brown...or great fit on the suit, but a purple stripe? Use these stores to your advantage and try lots on. If you find something you like, GREAT! If not, just wait, and scour B&S for the optimal garment or shoe. There are enough guys on here who regularly frequent these places who for a slight upcharge will get you EXACTLY what you want.

Good luck man, and enjoy the city.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics