• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

pdsf

Reaction score
^Thanks for the review - it's a nice bag! Like you, I also prefer full leather shoulder strap. Please post pics of the patina at some point
smile.gif
Re its packaging - yeah, that's a bit crap. I think Blackbird often just takes the piss.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pdsf
^Thanks for the review - it's a nice bag! Like you, I also prefer full leather shoulder strap. Please post pics of the patina at some point
smile.gif
Re its packaging - yeah, that's a bit crap. I think Blackbird often just takes the piss.

Yeah, I will post the pics for sure. This is going to be a bag I will use for years to come.
smile.gif
I always think a cotton or nylon strap ends up cheapening the look of a bag. There are some $1K+ bags that have them and I don't get why they can't at least give you the option of a full leather one at that price point. I forgot to mention that the interior is nothing fancy, just nylon. It also didn't come with a dust bag, which would have been a nice touch from BillyKirk. When I got the box from FedEx I actually thought they shipped me the wrong item because of its size. Blackbird needs to step up their game with the prices they charge. Does anyone here own one of the large carryalls from BillyKirk? I have been thinking about investing in a nice weekender for trips and those are one of the options I am looking at. They are a little pricey, but could be worth it as an investment like the one I just got.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just got a BK large carryall. Here's my take on it.

pdsf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Platypus
Was wondering whether anyone has handled or owned any Isaac Reina bags (and if so, what's your opinion)?

Yes, I would like to know more about the brand as well. I love the designer's aesthetics, but his products are quite $$$$ so I hope the price-to-quality ratio is good. I know occasionally they have discounts on off-season items. Email them.

http://isaacreina.com

I like this one:

24pm1dy.jpg

Click here to see more pics at Project 8.

Originally Posted by JMRouse
I always think a cotton or nylon strap ends up cheapening the look of a bag. There are some $1K+ bags that have them and I don't get why they can't at least give you the option of a full leather one at that price point.

I concur. I think a nylon strap with a full leather bag just looks odd and cheap, especially when there is branding. Yes, Hugo Boss and Ferragamo (and Prada sometimes, too?) - you are so guilty of this.

Originally Posted by APK

Nice review on a nice bag! Thanks.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK

Thanks for the review! The Navy/Black color combo looks great. I'm with you in that I would want one as large as you can get and still be used as a carry on for flights.

Reaction score
I openly admit I have been a man bag carrier pretty much my entire life. I actually just got done selling 11 of my old bags on eBay last month. With the cash I wound up purchasing the complete set of Belstaff Bags (Colonial Shoulder Bag, Colonial Travel Bag, & the Military Shoulder Bag / All Mountain Brown Color) on J.Crew and picked up the Imogene + Willie & Emil Erwin Mail Bag.

All 4 of them are really nice bags. The Belstaff bags are really nice especially if you like the rugged bag look but the one that just blew me away is the Imogene + Willie mail bag. If any of you are thinking of picking this bag up, DO IT!!! This is easily the nicest mail bag that J.Crew has ever carried. I cant wait to see what this thing looks like a few years down the road with a bit of wear and tear. I dont know how many of these J .Crew got in but given how small most of the runs are for Imogene + Willie products, I cant image that there are too many of these bags. You really have to see these in person to really get an understanding of just how nice they really are. A big huge thumbs up for this latest round of J.Crew collaborations. I am really hoping to see a follow up bag from Imogene + Willie. Simply stunning craftsmanship!

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rach, are you familiar with Rahnsater's bags? Curious how quality and pricing is, if you have seen them.

The have a lot of dope bags, but their site is flash, so I can't link it. You can view them here though: http://www.rahnsater.com/main.htm

Here's one of their bags, that looks to be expandable.

RahnsaterFallWinter2010.jpg

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pdsf
If anyone missed out on the Filson/Urban Outfitters collab, here are a couple of bags that might suffice. Let's have a little face-off.

Levi's/Filson:

i445n9.jpg

VS

Naked and Famous:

24b9gs7.jpg

I think the Naked and Famous bag looks great, but if that is raw denim, wouldn't it rub off on your clothes every-time you wore it with the shoulder strap? Seems like it could be a pain.

pdsf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
I think the Naked and Famous bag looks great, but if that is raw denim, wouldn't it rub off on your clothes every-time you wore it with the shoulder strap? Seems like it could be a pain.

Yep, I think that's a legit concern! I love raw denim but yeah, it can get complicated.
smile.gif

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Filson/Levi's by landslide. N&F looks like a cheap knock-off

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GotMyOrangeCrush
I openly admit I have been a man bag carrier pretty much my entire life. I actually just got done selling 11 of my old bags on eBay last month. With the cash I wound up purchasing the complete set of Belstaff Bags (Colonial Shoulder Bag, Colonial Travel Bag, & the Military Shoulder Bag / All Mountain Brown Color) on J.Crew and picked up the Imogene + Willie & Emil Erwin Mail Bag.

All 4 of them are really nice bags. The Belstaff bags are really nice especially if you like the rugged bag look but the one that just blew me away is the Imogene + Willie mail bag. If any of you are thinking of picking this bag up, DO IT!!! This is easily the nicest mail bag that J.Crew has ever carried. I cant wait to see what this thing looks like a few years down the road with a bit of wear and tear. I dont know how many of these J .Crew got in but given how small most of the runs are for Imogene + Willie products, I cant image that there are too many of these bags. You really have to see these in person to really get an understanding of just how nice they really are. A big huge thumbs up for this latest round of J.Crew collaborations. I am really hoping to see a follow up bag from Imogene + Willie. Simply stunning craftsmanship!

Can u please post a few images of the j crew bag. I've been drooling over that thing since it came out.

ihatelucy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GotMyOrangeCrush

Can you post pics?

Last edited:

mr.loverman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
SW&D folk may like BASIL RACUK; an American designer I just heard of for the first time today. Some interesting items, but I haven't had a chance to see anything in person. Apparently all made in USA (Cali) and prices appear not to be absurd (looks like in between Coach and designers like Prada, so maybe $500-1000 for larger items)

Sold at Leffot in NYC and Unionmade in San Fran.

http://www.basilracuk.com/index.htm

More pics/pricing here:
http://www.luxist.com/gallery/basil-.../2633833/full/

productweekender.jpg

productvoyage2.jpg

productsoftbrief.jpg

These look like unfinished ****.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics