• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's Talk About Replica Watches...

Artisan Fran

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
the difference between a 6K watch and a fake one, is well...craftmanship. If you think a 200 dollar ripoff will last you as long and be as well built as the genuine then you have rocks in your head. If you are buying one to show off....then get a knock off.

Do you have any empirical evidence to back that up?

Ellis

Reaction score
Only read the original post, so I don't know what direction this thread has gone in, but I will say this:

You said that no Jeweller could tell that it was fake? Not true. I'm a jeweller, and I could tell. Then, I would refuse to do any work to said watch, including a battery change. I know most places won't care, but it's a matter of principle.

Buying a fake doesn't just rip of Rolex. Despite what some people say, counterfeiting DOES fund organised crime, and although it doesn't feel like it, chances are you're money is lining the pockets of some very unpleasant people. With links to drugs, prostitution and people-smuggling, and according to Interpol, terrorism.

Also, your friends will find out and think you're cheap.

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky
Not entirely true. They'll still sell movements, but now they'll only sell completed movements, with the ETA stamp on them. Previously, they'd sell parts of movements which watch manufacturers could augment with parts of their own (the ETA in an IWC is unrecognizable as such, for example). It's that practice which they'll be stopping. However anyone who wants to fit a watch with a generic ETA will still be able to do so.
Yeah, you are right. But that is the general gist. they will stop selling ebauches

echau

Reaction score
To the OP: Take this discussion to www.watchuseek.com or even www.rolexforums.com. Not saying that people here don't make valid points, just that you might learn a little more from a forum full of watch enthusiasts. Anyone encouraging him should be ashamed; buying counterfeit goods is just disgusting.

Sartorial1

Reaction score
A fake is a fake is a fake.

Many people buy a watch for more than just appearance;
they want the mechanical expertise of the manufacturer.

Personally I'd buy the IWC.
That's the real IWC,
not the replica.

citizenshame

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ellis
Despite what some people say, counterfeiting DOES fund organised crime, and although it doesn't feel like it, chances are you're money is lining the pockets of some very unpleasant people. With links to drugs, prostitution and people-smuggling, and according to Interpol, terrorism.

please provide some proof of this.

Firstladyofsong

Reaction score

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fran

It is evident from a cursory examination of the parts themselves, without even accounting for the skill of the watchmaker assembling them. They don't fit together as well, are made of inferior materials often lack features of the genuine articles (like water resistancy to stated depth).

citizenshame

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Firstladyofsong
This report is quite informative. One problem though is that it's dated (2003).

http://www.gacg.org/Content/Upload/D...rapport_uk.pdf

not trying to discredit the report, and really i have no dog in this fight, but that link is from a clearly biased source. if we were debating whether marajuana caused cancer, would you link to a report from unitedmarajuanasmokers.org?

marco_rol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by citizenshame
not trying to discredit the report, and really i have no dog in this fight, but that link is from a clearly biased source. if we were debating whether marajuana caused cancer, would you link to a report from unitedmarajuanasmokers.org?
I would if they referenced valid evidence. I hear what you are saying, but the fact that the source has a vested interest in an argument does not in and of itself invalidate an argument. It should be considered when evaluating an argument, but it's not enough. (Edited to include the referenced quote.)

citizenshame

Reaction score
Originally Posted by marco_rol
I would if they referenced valid evidence. I hear what you are saying, but the fact that the source has a vested interest in an argument does not in and of itself invalidate an argument. It should be considered when evaluating an argument, but it's not enough.

(Edited to include the referenced quote.)

If the evidence is valid. My issue is the uncertainty in making that very determination. I'm not going to sift through a 50 page document and cross reference and cite check to figure it out, so for all practical purposes, that study is irrelevant to me.

Sartorial1

Reaction score
Buying a replica certainly does fund illegal activity.
The production of a replica watch breaks the law.
Whether or not that funds "organized" crime is another matter.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gorgekko
What is it with the recent crop of idiots from Canada? Have we bred a fresh batch of them up here or something?
I hvae also been following SF General discussion topics
Originally Posted by Artisan Fran
H0: No difference in time to breakdown between authentic and fake. Calculated t value exceeds critical value. I have enough evidence to reject the Null.
Only read the original post, so I don't know what direction this thread has gone in, but I will say this: You said that no Jeweller could tell that it was fake? Not true. I'm a jeweller, and I could tell. Then, I would refuse to do any work to said watch, including a battery change. I know most places won't care, but it's a matter of principle. Buying a fake doesn't just rip of Rolex. Despite what some people say, counterfeiting DOES fund organised crime, and although it doesn't feel like it, chances are you're money is lining the pockets of some very unpleasant people. With links to drugs, prostitution and people-smuggling, and according to Interpol, terrorism. Also, your friends will find out and think you're cheap.
QFT from a true jewelery. You also earn more revenue by increased demand for authentic watches, alongside standing on principle. I would venture out to say, most SFers either 1) would buy the authentic watch, because they have sufficent money to do so, or willingness to spend discretionary income to buy 2) buy a fake replica, but not be concerned it is a fake as they know very well the differences 3) buy a watch that looks like the unaffordable desired watch e.g. seiko for the AL&S mentioned earlier in this thread.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thing is, in the case of Rolex, is that most people are buying Rolex for status. For that reason, Rolex charges an exorbitant markup and represents the worst value-for-money of all manufactures, in my opinion.

As an example, I bought a Zenith El Primero chronograph about 12 years ago and paid about $2000 for it (brand new). At the same time, Rolex was charging around $9000 for a Daytona -- a watch that was an El Primero movement inside a Rolex case. What are you getting for that additional $7000? Status. Nobody knows Zenith (certainly back then), while everybody knows that Rolex is The Best Watch.

A goddamn Jaeger-LeCoultre perpetual calendar and a Rolex Daytona are in the same price range. Because the Daytona is on par horologically with the JLC? **** no. It's because one is a status symbol and the other isn't.

I own a non-fake Rolex too -- a Submariner, which is the Rolex everybody ought to buy. It's a durable, handsome, not-too-expensive watch.

But I find it difficult to believe that there are people out there that collect Rolexes because of their exquisite workmanship. The joke is that when you open the case back of a Rolex, metal filings fall out. ETA makes movements considered comparable to Rolex. You chose Rolex because it's a status symbol. There's nothing wrong with that at all, but don't be disingenuous about it.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buying a fake doesn't just rip of Rolex. Despite what some people say, counterfeiting DOES fund organised crime, and although it doesn't feel like it, chances are you're money is lining the pockets of some very unpleasant people. With links to drugs, prostitution and people-smuggling, and according to Interpol, terrorism.

Frankly, this sounds preposterous. Drug cartels and forced prostitution or whatever, sure, those are bad, bad people. But fake Louis Vuitton handbags are made in the same Chinese factories that make purses for Liz Claiborne, and fake Rolexes are made in the same Chinese factories that make cheap-ass watches for Nautica or whatever. I seriously doubt these places are any more diabolically sinister than any other Chinese sweatshop.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics