• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drapers - good flannel cloths?

mlongano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
^^ Thanks for that but I prefer to buy locally.

Me too, but I'm not willing to pay twice as much for the privilege.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Super pissed at Drapers.

Order a dark grey flannel cloth from their books which my tailor arranged through their Indian distributor. It was an Italian cloth in 9.5oz so I thought it would be OK weight wise for India. Cost was around 177 USD a meter.

It arrived today and it is a VBC Supers 120s flannel cloth with the same selvedge as regular VBC cloth. The only difference is the Drapers tag instead of VBC tag. VBC flannel is 110 USD a meter in India.

So basically paid 67 USD x 3.5 meters extra for the privilege of getting a Drapers tag.
ffffuuuu.gif

Are you sure it's actually the same cloth made to the same standards? VBC makes some nice stuff for Drapers.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ No, I am not 100% certain. If the selvedge would have said Drapers and I had come to know through SF that it was VBC cloth, I probably not have this problem. If the selvedge would have said VBC for Drapers or something like that, I would not have the problem.

In this case it appears to be identical to regular VBC S`120s flannel with a Drapers tag supplied with it.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ No, I am not 100% certain. If the selvedge would have said Drapers and I had come to know through SF that it was VBC cloth, I probably not have this problem. If the selvedge would have said VBC for Drapers or something like that, I would not have the problem. In this case it appears to be identical to regular VBC S`120s flannel with a Drapers tag supplied with it.
Do you like it? If so, STFU
wink.gif

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Yes, but I believe I overpaid for it thinking that I would be getting a Drapers cloth which I believed is a superior 'brand' than VBC. You can call me a label whore if you wish. It is this cloth, which I found under VBC S120s flannel at mytailor

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For middle weight flannels (500-520grams/17oz), I have liked the woollen flannels from:
www.gorina.es contact person is Anna: e-mail duran @ gorina.es (Barcelona, Spain)
On the home page, to the right, click on Nuerstras Sedes to get the phone number & e-mail contact

They also have lighter weight flannels in solid colors & chalkstripes in the 450gram/15oz range

Donkey flannel brown on the left, donkey flannel green on the top, and stone (brown/grey) on the right
IMG_1349.jpg

Smorgasborg of colors. My favorite are the chocolate brown and brown heather at the bottom
IMG_1345.jpg

Air Force Blue on the left, navy blue in the middle, and black on the right
IMG_1352.jpg

Air Force Blue on the left...surrounded by various shades of grey
IMG_1346.jpg

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Yes, but I believe I overpaid for it thinking that I would be getting a Drapers cloth which I believed is a superior 'brand' than VBC. You can call me a label whore if you wish. It is this cloth, which I found under VBC S120s flannel at mytailor
Isn't VBC a weaver and Drapers a merchant?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ What are Dormeuil and Scabal ? If you choose a cloth from a Scabal book, do you expect to get a VBC cloth with VBC selvedge which can be found in a VBC book ? I personally dont.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ What are Dormeuil and Scabal ? If you choose a cloth from a Scabal book, do you expect to get a VBC cloth with VBC selvedge which can be found in a VBC book ? I personally dont.
Scabal are both, they own their own mills, but also source cloth from other mills as they can't make everything. I think Dormeuil are purely a merchant. Some of the John G, Hardy jacketings are made by VBC as it says so on the selvege. Personally, I don't care.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
For middle weight flannels (500-520grams/17oz), I have liked the woollen flannels from:
www.gorina.es contact person is Anna: e-mail duran @ gorina.es (Barcelona, Spain)
On the home page, to the right, click on Nuerstras Sedes to get the phone number & e-mail contact

They also have lighter weight flannels in solid colors & chalkstripes in the 450gram/15oz range

The AF blue looks yummy though a little light but I think that is due to it being in direct sunlight

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
Scabal are both, they own their own mills, but also source cloth from other mills as they can't make everything. I think Dormeuil are purely a merchant.

Some of the John G, Hardy jacketings are made by VBC as it says so on the selvege. Personally, I don't care.

I think if Hardy (or Drapers in this case) are getting cloth made to their design and/or specifications then the cloth can be said to be Hardy/Drapers. In case they are reselling stock VBC cloth, then they are merely resellers. I feel that supplying the Drapers label is also dishonest. For me, its not a Drapers cloth plain and simple, its a VBC cloth and if I wanted VBC cloth I could have got it from VBC for VBC prices.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think if Hardy (or Drapers in this case) are getting cloth made to their design and/or specifications then the cloth can be said to be Hardy/Drapers. In case they are reselling stock VBC cloth, then they are merely resellers. I feel that supplying the Drapers label is also dishonest. For me, its not a Drapers cloth plain and simple, its a VBC cloth and if I wanted VBC cloth I could have got it from VBC for VBC prices.
I suspect it's more common than you think. There are only so many mills producing goods, a lot of the cloth is duplicated in the merchants books, more so the staple cloths. Stop fussing, put it down to experience and enjoy your suit.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
VBC is the lower-cost, lower-quality make from Barbera.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I know that VBC is totally different from Carlo Barbera and that is why I am pissed. I was hoping to get Carlo Barbera cloth and ended up with VBC.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads