• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maximilian
article-1078730-021AE693000005DC-888_468x587.jpg
More Prince Michael of Kent. Now, I've read a lot about short men in double breasted suits (I'm roughly 5'7") and I know they all say it's ok if done right. I, however, have quite a broad torso and shoulders and not overly long legs to compensate for this. Does this exclude me from realistically pulling off a double breasted suit? I would like one but it would be a rather large chunk of money to drop on looking ridiculous.

A well cut suit, whether DB or SB will flatter any man. Find your self a talented tailor. Ignore the gaylords on here who think because you are a certain shape, colour or complexion that you 'can't' wear certain items, cuts, colours etc.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The trick is to find a jacket with a high buttoning point and narrow button spacing, so that the center of attention is as high and slimming as possible.

Also, Wickla or Arkla?

Maximilian

Reaction score
Cheers guys.

Bray, actually. Not sure if that's better or worse to be honest.
Sartorially speaking, Ireland in general is a bit of a black hole though ain't it?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't lived in Dublin in ten years, but Peter Barrie off Grafton Street and Louis Copeland on Pembroke Street were OK for suits. Shoes were a complete disaster. You're better off ordering from the UK for everything - TMLewin would be my choice.

Where were you thinking of going for a DB suit?

Bray is only a little bit Wicklow - all the sheep are indoors.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maximilian
Cheers guys.

Bray, actually. Not sure if that's better or worse to be honest.
Sartorially speaking, Ireland in general is a bit of a black hole though ain't it?

The Irish love their checkered shirts...

They're absolutely everywhere....

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Me too...

I love the warmth of the colour mixed with the linen..

Yeah, I can't find the uncropped photo I had of it though, he has a bottle green umbrella and a tan briefcase and looks absolutely epic.

It also got me thinking there are very few brown suits on SF, at least to my knowledge, when I think they look very good.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight
Yeah, I can't find the uncropped photo I had of it though, he has a bottle green umbrella and a tan briefcase and looks absolutely epic.

It also got me thinking there are very few brown suits on SF, at least to my knowledge, when I think they look very good.

Brown on SF is perceived as a farmer/out of town colour...

That's just idiotic...

Brown ,especially darker tones of the spectrum, is offering great colour depths ...

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw a dark brown glen plaid with purple overcheck VBC S110s cloth today. Seriously thinking of getting it made. Would have ordered it except I thought it was too slick for a brown cloth.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Brown on SF is perceived as a farmer/out of town colour...

That's just idiotic...

Brown ,especially darker tones of the spectrum, is offering great colour depths ...

Hear, hear.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will just had a guest post on his blog featuring the Gordon Yao DB suit below (click for full size). What do you think of it?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Saw a dark brown glen plaid with purple overcheck VBC S110s cloth today. Seriously thinking of getting it made. Would have ordered it except I thought it was too slick for a brown cloth.
Brown and Purple/Lilac can be a nice combination. Take a picture and show it to us. One thing to remember it's not easy to look at a swatch of cloth and visualise how it will look made up.

Maximilian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
I haven't lived in Dublin in ten years, but Peter Barrie off Grafton Street and Louis Copeland on Pembroke Street were OK for suits. Shoes were a complete disaster. You're better off ordering from the UK for everything - TMLewin would be my choice.

Where were you thinking of going for a DB suit?

Bray is only a little bit Wicklow - all the sheep are indoors.

Yes, I was slightly tempted by Louis Copeland but I just wasn't all that convinced. Maybe I simply feel he's been doing cushy boring business suits for politicians too long to be able to do anything interesting. I don't know.
Ok ok, so it's not exactly in the country but I'm still not from Dublin... promise.

I'd agree to the point made about checkered shirts as well. They're also usually poor quality and style. They also tend to be worn in ways that are simply displeasing to the eye/sensibilities.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads