• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Allen Edmonds?

trekracer20

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm going to get a few pairs of Allen Edmonds during the sale, and I know that among them will be the Bayfield in brown and the Townley in black. I already have the Strand in Walnut, McAlister in black, a plain cap toe in black and a full broque in burgundy both from Crockett & Jones.

So my questions is...for the third show to get, I was planning on either the MacNeil in walnut pebble grain or the McAlister in suede. Given my current collection, which do you think would allow me to expand in the most versatile way? I love the MacNeil, but I'm worried about it not looking distinct enough from the walnut Strand. And I love the sude McAlister, but already own two wingtips--but in black and burgundy.

What do you think?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
By my count, you have:

1 black perf cap
1 black cap toe
1 black full brogue
1 burgundy full brogue
1 brown boot
1 light brown semi brogue

You have enough black. You don't have any shoes that are dark brown. Get something in dark brown calf or suede.

trekracer20

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
By my count, you have:

1 black perf cap
1 black cap toe
1 black full brogue
1 burgundy full brogue
1 brown boot
1 light brown semi brogue

You have enough black. You don't have any shoes that are dark brown. Get something in dark brown calf or suede.

Well, some of those I have and some are the ones on my list of options. Sorry, to be clear, I HAVE:

1 black full brogue
1 black plain cap toe
1 bugundy full brogue
1 light brown perf cap toe (Strand)

I WILL GET 3 more, between:

black punch cap toe blucher
brown punch cap toe blucher boot
suede full broque balmoral
light brown full brogue blucher
Or something else?

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see the McAllister in suede on there website, but you could look at the Players Shoe - a suede version of the Lombard.

Personally, I would go with the walnut grain MacNeil. I feel it will be more versatile than suede. And I don't think it will overlap the Strands. The MacNeil is a double sole longwing which would be different enough from a single sole cap toe in my opinion.

Chris

trekracer20

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I meant the suede Cambridge, and not the McAllister.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads