• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Red Glasses

Reaction score
I want a warm (wool, tweed etc) sportcoat fot autumn. An inbetween coat.

I wondered what color to get, so it would be a staple jacket.

Most of my pants are grey/charcoal/houndstooth, some navy and some brown.

What color (or any particular) sportscoat do you recommend?

tooshay

Reaction score
George Peppard in Breakfast at Tiffany's: what kind of shoes would he have worn? I'm going to a
costume party tomorrow and need to find something resembling that. Anyone?

borderline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tooshay
George Peppard in Breakfast at Tiffany's: what kind of shoes would he have worn? I'm going to a

Wasn't he wearing boots for awhile in that movie? There are many good closeups of his shoes in the movie. I think they were black. Doubt that anyone is going to notice that level of detail though. Go with some non-square-toe black dress shoes, leather soles, and you will be fine.

BYucko

Reaction score
College student, want to get a Bay St. internship, need a new suit. Budget is around 500, but will consider everything sub-800. Stats: 5"8 135lbs and growing Thinking 1 or 2 buttons. Navy, black or gray. Emporio Armani from Yoox? http://www.yoox.com/item.asp?cod10=49115614 Or should I go to a MTM shop in Toronto? How much will it run me for a basic (but sleek) one? Thanks.

pitboss12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tooshay

I think you'll be fine with some basic black captoes or plain toe bluchers.

pitboss12

Reaction score
Does anyone have an active STP coupon code for savings greater than 15%?

Thanks.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Red Glasses
I want a warm (wool, tweed etc) sportcoat fot autumn. An inbetween coat.

I wondered what color to get, so it would be a staple jacket.

Most of my pants are grey/charcoal/houndstooth, some navy and some brown.

What color (or any particular) sportscoat do you recommend?

A gray tweed herringbone, or just a nice looking tweed. The pants you have sound pretty neutral, so you could get a fairly interestingly pattered tweed and pair it with almost anything. Olive perhaps? But certainly, if you go with the gray, it'll be a staple.

Originally Posted by max_r
yeah, i do think they looked a bit long when worn. plus i like to wear slim pants, which kind of emphasizes a clown-like silhouette

luckily i found a store nearby that sells this brand, and while they dont have the same shoe, they have some similar-shaped ones, and i tried them on. turns out 8 is too small, but they dont have half sizes. hopefully the 8.5 is right when it comes in.

if it makes a difference, i can shove my foot forward in the shoe, and i can get an extra like .5" gap between my heel and the back of the shoe.

anyway, thanks for the help, i'm used to shoes with round toes so i'm not really sure what i'm doing with chisel toe shoes.

If the 8.5 doesn't work, it sounds like you may need to try a sizing down with a wider width.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between bluchers and derbys? I know nothing about proper shoes. Anyone have a link to a site where I can learn stuff like this?? Besides SF.net please.
smile.gif

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Pun
What's the difference between bluchers and derbys? I know nothing about proper shoes. Anyone have a link to a site where I can learn stuff like this?? Besides SF.net please.
smile.gif

My understanding is that derby is British usage and Blucher is American (like braces and suspenders). It refers to a shoe with open lacing. Just Google Blucher, Derby, Oxford, etc. and you will find several definitions.

Red Glasses

Reaction score
ok, I bought a great brown/black herringbone sportscoat made of 'new' wool.
Yesterday, after a dinerparty, it was raining cats & dogs and someone offered me a jacket to 'save' my coat. I accepted, but really: can't a new wool (diffenrent than normal wool?) sportcoat handle rain?????

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, after a dinerparty, it was raining cats & dogs and someone offered me a jacket to 'save' my coat. I accepted, but really: can't a new wool (diffenrent than normal wool?) sportcoat handle rain?????

What's new wool? virgin wool? Then it's still wool.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any wool sportscoat can handle rain. The sheep do not come in when it rains.

KennyK

Reaction score
I just bought a black moncler Leblanc parka. I was wondering what kind of gloves to get

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a RTW suit hierarchy thread somewhere here? I did a search and couldn't find one.

Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads