• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

__PG__

Reaction score
Looking around on the FS forum it seems that everyone is crazy about Mabitex pants. Has anyone here had any experiences with them?

TheChefs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
+1 on the chinos.

As JohnsNotHere and Oleg have said, it's about getting the right pair of chino pants.

Rather than getting baggy, pleated ones from Target or Fletcher Jones, instead look to Lands End (their tailored version), Charles Tyrwhitt, or Brooks Brothers (the Milano cut) for slimmer chinos in a great range of colours.

I just took delivery of six pairs from Lands End and Charles Tyrwhitt - Nantucket red and white chinos from Lands End, and light brown, chocolate brown, sky blue and navy from Tyrwhitt.

I've also just placed an order for a green pair from Brooks Brothers and I'm eagerly awaiting their arrival!

Once the BB ones arrive, I think that I shall be all set for summer.

Chinos do not make you daggy, just as wearing grey trousers and a blue jacket does not make you a security guard! It's all in the cut, the colours, the combinations and the accessories.

What is the fit like of the chinos you have mentioned? Especially through thighs, which is important for me since I'm one of those athletic shaped freaks with largish thighs and small waist. I like the herringbone chinos fit and quality wise (I own 1 pair), I just don't like the price. Do you know how the above brands compare? I'm very wary when it comes to ordering pants online...

LTM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheChefs
What is the fit like of the chinos you have mentioned? Especially through thighs, which is important for me since I'm one of those athletic shaped freaks with largish thighs and small waist. I like the herringbone chinos fit and quality wise (I own 1 pair), I just don't like the price. Do you know how the above brands compare? I'm very wary when it comes to ordering pants online...

I have also recently bought some tailored fit chinos from LE. I'll start by saying that the quality isn't any better than the cheaper reserve/savane chinos you'll get in Aust Dept stores from what I can see. The advantage of LE is the much wider tailoring options around the inseam and waist. On special they are worth the money if you buy a few in order to spread the US$39 postage. OK for a casual work environment.

Now to the thighs. Mine are not tight there at all but I do not have overly developed thighs either. I am though a very regular overnight walker, carrying a 15kg pack, 3 gym sessions a week etc so the thighs are not underdeveloped or slim.
Perhaps you could quote your waist and a corresponding forum member could measure up?

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
Looking around on the FS forum it seems that everyone is crazy about Mabitex pants. Has anyone here had any experiences with them?

I'm too afraid to try any other internet sources for Chinos, I am worried they won't be on par with Mabitex. They are very good, just have to watch out for the rise as some of them can be real ball-breakers!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhof5421
Journeyman, are the CT chinos actually what we would consider 'slim'? I've always been concerned with their definition of 'slim' as their slim cut shirts always fit like a more classic cut, hence haven't tried their chinos.

Originally Posted by TheChefs

Tyrwhitt do (or did a couple of weeks back, anyway) a couple of lines - a standard fit and a slimmer, or tailored fit.

I don't know if it's of any help, but as a "standard", I'll use a pair of Herringbone's suit pants from an Osaka-cut suit. I find that the Herringbone trousers fit me perfectly - on me, they are quite slim-fitting but I do not need any alterations barring the length - waist, backside and thighs are all fine. Bear in mind that a) I have a reasonably large backside and thighs from years of riding; and b) because I don't ride anymore I'm carrying a bit of additional weight, too.

The standard Tyrwhitt chinos are just a little bit roomier than the Herringbone Osaka-cut suit trousers. The slimmer-cut Tyrwhitt chinos are a little bit slimmer than the Herringbone trousers and so whilst I kept the waist the same, I had the seat let out a little bit.

The Tyrwhitt chinos are nicely made - split, curtained waistband; nice, thick cotton that is pleasantly soft but which also feels durable; spare fabric at the seams so the trousers can be let out a bit, and the seam edges are taped, too

Originally Posted by LTM
I have also recently bought some tailored fit chinos from LE. I'll start by saying that the quality isn't any better than the cheaper reserve/savane chinos you'll get in Aust Dept stores from what I can see. The advantage of LE is the much wider tailoring options around the inseam and waist. On special they are worth the money if you buy a few in order to spread the US$39 postage. OK for a casual work environment.

I haven't worn them at work yet, but in trying them on, I would say that the LE tailored fit chinos are about the same fit as a pair of Herringbone suit trousers on the Osaka block. In other words, on me, they are reasonably slim-fitting without needing to be let out or taken in.

As LTM said, the quality is not great - no additional fabric at seams, no taped seams etc. However, I think that I paid US$20 (or $30 at the most) for mine and so I'm not complaining.

I hope that the above is of some assistance!

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
Sportscraft do some good chino's. On the expensive side, but they're always having sales.
Sportscraft are ok and so is Gazman - my main problem is that nearly all the Oz chinos I tried lately have a bit of "elastine" (around 2% or 3%) or whatever its called in them. I find stretch things get baggy bits and don't hold shape after a few wears. Some are getting too low rise for me too. If I could have avoided low-ish rise and stretch I would be walking around in some Gazman strides now. As far as ordering online - if you ask nicely most online shops will send you cuff, knee, thigh, and waist measurments. Its always worth checking out the cheapies - Target, K Mart, Reserve etc at Myers - in the past some of their chinos have been pretty good quality, cheap and fit ok - it just depends what they have in - its no good asking anyone there - you have to try them on.

TheChefs

Reaction score
Thanks guys, this helps a lot. Especially the information about quality. I've to tailor every piece of clothing, so that cost is already taken into account. I've 31-32" waist depending on the alignment of planets and about 24" thighs (varies a bit as well). Most of the time 34" pants work for me.

I actually like elastic in my pants, since when I seat down my thighs expand and without it my legs would be strangled. Without it I would have to go for a lot more baggy fit instead of a more slimmer ones.

LTM

Reaction score
OK Chef well I am 32-33 waist, 31 inseam and 21 thigh. I tried both the 32 and 33 LE tailored fit. I measured the widest part of the chinos in the thigh, both 12' across lying flat, ie, 24' circumfrence, so they would be too slim for you I would imagine. Perhaps the classic fit 33 would have the extra you need? The leg opening of the LE tailored fit is 8", whereas the ones yuo get in myer, 32 waist and inseam are usually between 9" and 10" I notice.

ryanohare

Reaction score
I went into DJ's in Melbourne yesterday for a quick look. They've got a 30-40% sale on nearly all mens clothing, with some good deals on shoes. There was bugger all left in my size (11) but there seemed to be a pretty decent amount left in smaller sizes - some Emporio Armani brogues, Milano's, and a few others.

Suits-wise, the best deals I could find in my limited searches were a few Paul Smith's down from $1500-$1000, and a host of Ralph Lauren, Armani, and Canali sportscoats at the usual sale prices. Some quite nice DB Zegna suits still around too, but mostly everything in my size (96-100) was gone.

In sumarry, if you're fat with small feet, you'd have a field day in there at the minute.

TheChefs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LTM
OK Chef well I am 32-33 waist, 31 inseam and 21 thigh. I tried both the 32 and 33 LE tailored fit. I measured the widest part of the chinos in the thigh, both 12' across lying flat, ie, 24' circumfrence, so they would be too slim for you I would imagine. Perhaps the classic fit 33 would have the extra you need? The leg opening of the LE tailored fit is 8", whereas the ones yuo get in myer, 32 waist and inseam are usually between 9" and 10" I notice.

Thanks LTM, Just as I suspected I would have to get 1 or 2 sizes larger, but pulling waist in is a simple alteration so it's not a problem.

I just had a look at the Mabitex and Panta pants and the quality looks really good, I also like the materials/patterns/colours. I just have to figure out which sizes will work for me.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Sportscraft are ok and so is Gazman - my main problem is that nearly all the Oz chinos I tried lately have a bit of "elastine" (around 2% or 3%) or whatever its called in them. I find stretch things get baggy bits and don't hold shape after a few wears. Some are getting too low rise for me too. If I could have avoided low-ish rise and stretch I would be walking around in some Gazman strides now.

As far as ordering online - if you ask nicely most online shops will send you cuff, knee, thigh, and waist measurments.

Its always worth checking out the cheapies - Target, K Mart, Reserve etc at Myers - in the past some of their chinos have been pretty good quality, cheap and fit ok - it just depends what they have in - its no good asking anyone there - you have to try them on.

I'm pretty positive my sportscraft chino's are 100% cotton. I'll check tonight.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Confirmed... 100% cotton. I do believe they have those **** blends you were talking about as well though. Here's a pic from last summer (not that you can tell much)

dsc0826r.jpg

jhof5421

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
Confirmed... 100% cotton. I do believe they have those **** blends you were talking about as well though. Here's a pic from last summer (not that you can tell much)

dsc0826r.jpg

Nice belt. Is it from Herringbone?

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eek, picked it up in brown/white and blue/white for $40 each

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics