• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Check out the new Martin Logan speakers...

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
No association with the company but anyone in the market who wants some futuristic looking electrostatic speakers, then I would recommend the new Martin Logan speakers.

They were on demo at Cedia this past weekend and they really sounded terrific. One pair will be around $2K and the new Ethos is around $6.5K.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'll have to check these out. I've always loved M-Ls.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I'll have to check these out. I've always loved M-Ls.

They finally got the panel and bass woofer integration correct which is one reason they sound so good.

The Magnepan 1.7s in the $2K range also are worth looking into.

horndog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look really cool, bet they sound just a good. I've always wanted to try a good planar speaker set up but lack the amp to feed the power hungry things. Is it true they only sound good in a rectangular, closed room though?

Oh, and here's a tangential de-rail to the thread but I demo'd the Linn Majik 109s ($2k range) last weekend and they blew me away. Huge, detailed sound from such a compact speaker. Had my heart set on B&W for my Rotel cd/amp combo but now I'm leaning toward the Linns...

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I like Linn better than B&W. I find B&W to sound harsh and too analytical.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MLs are overrated and overpriced. There are far better speakers for much less money. 2nd- or even 3rd-tier Revels walk all over them. If you want good panel sound, pony up the $$$ and get QUADs and a good subwoofer.

Panels appear to be room-picky because most panels' off-axis response is horrid.

I'd avoid B&Ws as well.

--Andre

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Andre,

Have you heard the speakers in question? They are much better than MLs of old.

Artisan Fran

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
MLs are overrated and overpriced. There are far better speakers for much less money. 2nd- or even 3rd-tier Revels walk all over them. If you want good panel sound, pony up the $$$ and get QUADs and a good subwoofer.

Panels appear to be room-picky because most panels' off-axis response is horrid.

I'd avoid B&Ws as well.

--Andre

Do you have any empirical evidence to back this up? I have conducted several tests myself and I know the difference in quality is striking.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Artisan Fran
confused.gif

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fran
So you will attack the messenger rather than what I have to say? Typical.
stop your face. oh! i just remembered that i was going to ask you what wood i should use for the record shelf i'm building. figured you would have opinions on what looks best with records and doesn't warp.

Artisan Fran

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
stop your face.

oh! i just remembered that i was going to ask you what wood i should use for the record shelf i'm building. figured you would have opinions on what looks best with records and doesn't warp.

I have the answer but I refuse to share it with someone who would rather attack me than what I have to say.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
stop your face.

oh! i just remembered that i was going to ask you what wood i should use for the record shelf i'm building. figured you would have opinions on what looks best with records and doesn't warp.

I'll speak for AF (circa 2009) and recommend you go with styrofoam shelves for your records. They'll keep them elevated and avoid any electromagnetic interference that may be coming from your wood floors, house pets, and the molten magma that lurks a few thousand meters under your house/apartment/studio/hovel.

Artisan Fran

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I'll speak for AF (circa 2009) and recommend you go with styrofoam shelves for your records. They'll keep them elevated and avoid any electromagnetic interference that may be coming from your wood floors, house pets, and the molten magma that lurks a few thousand meters under your house/apartment/studio/hovel.

The Styrofoam should only be used temporarily. There are wooden blocks that can be used that are infinitely better. Best of all they are affordable. I picked up a set of four in bloodwood (which I have found insulates the best) for $100. Although I did need 8 of them.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
I have the answer but I refuse to share it with someone who would rather attack me than what I have to say.
oh come on. i almost always attack what you have to say. on some rare occasions i even agree with you. also, i was using the confused face in regards to your new name, not you.
I picked up a set of four in bloodwood (which I have found insulates the best) for $100. Although I did need 8 of them.
I only want to buy fair trade woods.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics