• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
Also why would you link to the picture of snake doing it way better, that's just asking for it. "Hey guys I just got my new TOJ leather and Nike hi-tops, let me link to a picture of nicelynice wearing the Julius DR and Rick dunks to show you what I'm going for."
Nothing wrong with inspiration photos. He's not saying "Hey guys, look at this chump Snake, don't I style all over him?"

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CrazyJew
I think I finally found an outfit which really channels that Julius cardigan I posted a long while back. I tried to put a little drape in everything so that it flowed naturally, as opposed to the skin tight v-neck and nudies I wore the last time I posted myself wearing the cardigan.

The inspiration is of course is very snake-esque, who I admire in all of his waywts. Unfortunately, I can't get my hands on half the stuff that lucky bastard has, so I kinda made a DIY version of his viridi-anne white slacks. I had a pair of white striped armani exchange trousers that cost me like $12. I washed them and dry hung them, then skipped ironing them to give the pants a worn in, crinkled look that seemed to fit the outfit pretty well.

Dior Homme shades
Julius cardigan
Marc Jacobs Collection sheer tee
Armani Exchange slacks
Filippa K white GAT high-tops

Originally Posted by Listi
I was traveling somewhere and forgot to bring a razor, it was only for like 4 days so I just didn't shave. I went to see one of my friends and she was like "omg you look so much better with scruff you don't look like a kid" and since then I've been proudly shaving only once a week or two.

nothing wrong with a bit of facial hair, but everything wrong with a goatee. Especially if you can't even grown it right.

wait until you can properly grow facial hair, and then don't get a goatee.

also, sunglasses don't go, hair is kinda bad.

i thought the actual fit wasn't bad.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
Steezy uniform. Is that shirt BBBF? Doesn't look good, imo. Buy gothninja **** if you want that look You're giving Seatown a bad name
Any particular reasons why it doesn't look good? would prefer a better answer then that, thanks. Is it just simply cuz it isn't another brand?
I was traveling somewhere and forgot to bring a razor, it was only for like 4 days so I just didn't shave. I went to see one of my friends and she was like "omg you look so much better with scruff you don't look like a kid" and since then I've been proudly shaving only once a week or two. also you can't fake goth-ninja pieces by just not ironing clothes or buttoning them weirdly lmao you guys have to go out and at least look at some of this **** and realize the construction on the interesting pieces is INSANE with multiple layers of fabric and seams going everywhere to give it just the right fit. You can't just DIY it for no cost whatsoever, if you figure out how to DIY gothninja for $12 lmao you are a designer, and should start your own brand right away. Those ax pants look like a joke :\\
I own only one Julius piece currently, but I do see the big differences in just photos/videos alone. However, I find it annoying that it's assumed I buttoned my hoody that way because I was trying to emulate a "goth-ninja" look. I didn't even realize it looked like a cape (lol). I mean I definitely like the designers that fit that aesthetic, but the main reason why I do that is to show my undershirt and belt, and because it would be boring to me to have it all buttoned up. Some of you assume too much, but I accept the critique either way. I mean I am wearing all Allsaints (mostly) in that pic, which is considered bootleg RO/gothninja. However, I bought Allsaints stuff way before I even knew julius or Rick existed. I just found their aesthetic pleasing, and it fit the bill for me. I still like a lot of their stuff, but I still hold Julius in way higher regard. I mean now I like the latter more, but both are my style. also, to be honest referring to **** like gothninja is also annoying, lol. If I did have stuff that fit under that umbrella term it would simply water down its stature (for lack of me finding a better word).
Originally Posted by hendrix
nothing wrong with a bit of facial hair, but everything wrong with a goatee. Especially if you can't even grown it right. wait until you can properly grow facial hair, and then don't get a goatee. also, sunglasses don't go, hair is kinda bad. i thought the actual fit wasn't bad.
I think most of the animosity is because he did weird **** to try to copy a look with Armani exchange pants.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gothninjas should look aim to look either like rockstar heroin junkies or hitmen. (4)
Looking like a hitman at all times brings the sprezz to the infrequent occasion I wear J. Crew shirts to work when laundry days approach.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samblackbones
Just found this GRUESOME fit from 3 years ago when I lived in seattle (just before I got sober . . . )
Someone had the misguided notion that it would be a good idea to interview me for the UW style section .
Result of googling myself (evidently I suffer from narcissistic personality disorder.
http://imgur.com/KN62i.png
Things like this are why I quit doing drugs.

If drugs make you dress worse then your doing it wrong.

e0d9n0b5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji

I should dig up some of my psycho binge fits... Casette Playa and Bernhard galore ha

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
I own only one Julius piece currently, but I do see the big differences in just photos/videos alone. However, I find it annoying that it's assumed I buttoned my hoody that way because I was trying to emulate a "goth-ninja" look. I didn't even realize it looked like a cape (lol). I mean I definitely like the designers that fit that aesthetic, but the main reason why I do that is to show my undershirt and belt, and because it would be boring to me to have it all buttoned up. Some of you assume too much, but I accept the critique either way.

I'm not trying to bust on you, really. It's mostly because I used to do things like that and sorta regret it. Trying to make fairly "normal" pieces look different often begs the question why, that's all. My criticisms are directed far more at crazyjew who looked pretty terrible while yours looked a little awkward, but fine overall. I don't own really own a ton of avant-garde **** (1 julius, 1 ro, 2 diet butcher, 1 yohji, and a handful of pieces from less popular stuff) either. But it's better to exercise restraint with your "normal" stuff, and let loose with your cool ****. Sorry if I came off overly harsh, it's internet.

grouper

Reaction score
flfxy.jpg
would the fit look boring with a plain black tee? v neck maybe?

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grouper
http://imgur.com/flfxy.jpg[IMG]

shoes are energie[/I]

Are you funnin' on that energie tip, because those actually look pretty dope.

Kvc06

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scott.m
needs brown suede virgils.
I know man... that or the Yuketen maine guide would be awesome I realllllyyy need a pair of those, not ready to spend the money on them quite yet If someone bought my yuketens I'd do it

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to bust on you, really. It's mostly because I used to do things like that and sorta regret it. Trying to make fairly "normal" pieces look different often begs the question why, that's all. My criticisms are directed far more at crazyjew who looked pretty terrible while yours looked a little awkward, but fine overall. I don't own really own a ton of avant-garde **** (1 julius, 1 ro, 2 diet butcher, 1 yohji, and a handful of pieces from less popular stuff) either. But it's better to exercise restraint with your "normal" stuff, and let loose with your cool ****. Sorry if I came off overly harsh, it's internet.
The awkwardness was just me, lol. well, I'm not offended. I know people are harsh on here, that's fine. I mean that's the whole point of being critique'd. I honestly didn't button the top only to try to come off ninja like or trying to act like my hoody was a cape. However, I'll keep that in mind when wearing my typical clothes. I also, don't completely dress in a "goth-ninjaish way" I'm starting to wear lots of neutrals again, but I do have a good mix, which mainly comes from shirts I bought from AS. I like the patterns and colors on the shirts they sell. I posted an earlier pic of me in a light blue shirt from AS, with just pants. Didn't do any weird buttoning :p I'm surprised you only own that much of those pieces, though. Seemed like you owned more. I already have a couple of DRKSHDW stuff.

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji

The nature of my drug problem made it so that I did not have a great grasp on the various aspects of my personal appearance. I guess that was the doing it wrong part . . . also its hard to spend money on clothes when you have expensive/demanding bad habits.

CrazyJ

Reaction score
Hey just so everyone knows, I wasn't really offended by anyone's critique. I accepted it with open arms, for the most part.

If I stayed within the Julius brand, it'd be extremely easy to properly match an entire outfit. Unfortunately, I am no where near well off enough to do that. I ******* love Julius more than any other designer I've come to learn about since I first came to SF, but I'd also be stupid as of right now to blow $400 on a pair of Julius pants off Sufu or something. I don't want to leave the cardigan just sittin' in the closet catching dust, so I'm trying to see what the hell I can pair with it. And it's kinda tough. Mixing brands, and with one as avant-garde as Julius, is definitely irritating. I've found that everything has to be "drapey" but natural, so most of my jeans are out of the question, as they are just too "structured" to fit the look. I've found that slacks work the best with it, with a loose, neutral-colored tee like the MJC one.

I think what really killed the look was the stripes on the pants and the sunglasses, which were just WAY too bold for everything else. I'll try it with a pair of my waxed MJ jeans next time, see how that works. If that doesn't, I'll just have to stash it away until I can afford a decent pair of matching trousers in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads