• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's Talk About Replica Watches...

Pastafarian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butter
At the end of the day, it's whatever makes you happy.

If you're around people who you need to feel you need to impress all the time, the watch is the least of your worries.

We are on the wrong forum to talk about "WHATEVER MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD"

You should go post that on the hippy forums.

We care about style. We care about looks. We care about perception.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own a replica Rolex, and I like it. I also own several "over $20k" authentic watches. Wearing the fake Rolex doesn't make me feel dirty at all.

If you want a Rolex just for status or because you like the way they look, get a fake. Rolexes are jewelry watches anyway.

Besides, I feel sorry for Rolex losing business to counterfeiters like I feel sorry for Louis Vuitton.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So you want to wear an expensive watch because it will impress other people?

And you're going to get a cheap watch which looks like an expensive watch?

And you hope that this cheap watch will manage to impress other people?

If these people are the type who can be impressed by a fake watch then they are not worth knowing.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pastafarian
We are on the wrong forum to talk about "WHATEVER MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD" You should go post that on the hippy forums. We care about style. We care about looks. We care about perception.
So much win. Thank you.

Pastafarian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Henry Boogers
You are still wearing a suit of the same quality as if you had paid $1000. In this example the price paid is irrelevant. If wearing fake goods and presenting a certain (false) image of yourself to others makes you feel good about yourself then go for it. I don't understand the purpose.

Fake Armani label for example... do not carry the same level of quality as the real armani suit. And with something like a suit you can almost tell immediately.... by the fit. The lines of the shoulders.

With a watch, you really can't tell those details. And from some of the real life testimonials I have come across, the quality are of exact precision as the real Rolexes.

This is why this is an interesting topic.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hold on a minute.

"We" don't have a problem with cheap HK tailors knocking off Italian styles, asking Chan to make spalla Camicaca..etc...etc soft shoulders/neopolitan this and that.

So why do we have a problem with replica watches?

Pastafarian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
I own a replica Rolex, and I like it. I also own several "over $20k" authentic watches. Wearing the fake Rolex doesn't make me feel dirty at all.

If you want a Rolex just for status or because you like the way they look, get a fake. Rolexes are jewelry watches anyway.

Besides, I feel sorry for Rolex losing business to counterfeiters like I feel sorry for Louis Vuitton.

Thank you.

Just curious, can you post a pic of your rolex if it's not too much trouble? How many years have you owned it? Is it a Swiss Made replica? Is it holding up?

Thank you.

Pastafarian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
hold on a minute.

"We" don't have a problem with cheap HK tailors knocking off Italian styles, asking Chan to make spalla Camicaca..etc...etc soft shoulders/neopolitan this and that.

BOOOM!

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hold on a minute.

BOOOM!

This isn't a fair comparison though. If someone was having Chan make a suit and then stitching a Kiton label on it, sure.

A better one would be whether those 'homage' watches are considered replicas or stand alone pieces.

Butter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are on the wrong forum to talk about "WHATEVER MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD"

You should go post that on the hippy forums.

We care about style. We care about looks. We care about perception.

Clearly, you are seeking confirmation bias.

I find it ironic you would make a comment about "poser" watches.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We care about perception.

Also - who is this 'we'?

Speak for yourself.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hold on a minute.

A good question, and I think that a point made above is relevant to this as well:

For me, I purchase cheap HK shirts because they give me the quality I desire at a price point I require....sorry, didn't mean to rhyme there.

Anyhow, my point is that if you are simply purchasing an item for its aesthetic or inherent qualities then knock yourself out. If you are wearing it to prove to other people that you can afford that particular brand than knock yourself out as well. I find the latter silly, but so be it.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hold on a minute.

There is a difference between a "style" and a "replica". There's certainly nothing wrong with buying a watch similar in style to a Rolex, but it's vain and ugly to buy a replica Rolex.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so which fake watch would you recommend for me if i wanted to the highest perceived status

please respond by PM

thnx

Pastafarian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butter
Clearly, you are seeking confirmation bias.

I find it ironic you would make a comment about "poser" watches.

We are all posers here.

Whether it's the poser that buys an off the rack dolce suit or the poser that goes to HK to buy tailor made italian suits.

The poser that wears Edward Green shoes or the poser that buys Paraboot shoes.

Every poster on this forum is a poser of some sort.

The thing about posing is that..... it's an art in itself. To pose with some taste and style would make you seem more, "natural" and less of a poser than someone wearing a big Panerai clock on their wrist. But at the core, we are all posers.

Some are just more subtle than others.

A fake rolex will accomplish the subtle, classy look for me at 1/10th the price of a real one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads