• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Android phone recommendations/discussion?

.bishop

Reaction score
I just got the incredible for verizon. I am a blackberry transfer. I am liking the phone so far, some things i don't just know how to do with hot keys or swipes or whatever. but my biggest concern is the battery life. i have this appkiller installed but it just still drains so fast. i unplug the phone and it goes to 94% accoring to whatever battery app i downloaded.

any ideas or reccomendations?

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a question and am a little unsure of the answer I have. Since I'm in college, I can't use the university internet connection to use torrents, but I can tether my phone to my computer to use its network. Are companies still able to track the downloading on my computer through my phones internet connection?

Sorry if I'm not allowed to ask this here. I'll take it down if asked.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Rambo, it's cute that you don't understand the difference between hspa and gsm. Thank you for copying and pasting from the same site where I got my info, thus confirming what I said.

Gravitas, avoid samsung like the plague. They have a long history of producing lemons backed by huge marketing campaigns designed to emphasize hype over substance.

Sent from my iWeiner

Samsung ... I have a Galaxy S, I've been keeping up with the beta firmwares on XDA-Developers, but goddamn it's like Samsung really don't give a **** about their customers. Touchwiz is worthless, GPS doesn't work (STILL!), no 2.2 like they promised ...

I already ordered my Desire Z. Samsung hardware is pretty ok but the way they half-ass their software makes me want to do terrible things to seals.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
I already ordered my Desire Z. Samsung hardware is pretty ok but the way they half-ass their software makes me want to do terrible things to seals.
Exactly why I didn't get that phone. Samsung has awful software and even worse customer service. Rumors of the new Verizon android phone with the (possible) 1.3 processor are swirling. Looks pretty sweet.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
4g HTC/Tmobile G2 comes out in a few days. Was "invited" to go see it on launch. Probably not gonna bother though.
smile.gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
4g HTC/Tmobile G2 comes out in a few days. Was "invited" to go see it on launch. Probably not gonna bother though.
smile.gif

Its actually got a slower processor than your Nexus. Can't quite understand that one myself.

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I found it (Epic) to be frustratingly bad, though my little brother really likes it. Of course, it is his first smartphone. He doesn't use GPS, so that doesn't bother him. He's also content with waiting for 2.2 as he has little interest in it outside flash (and he isn't interested in flashing roms, though there aren't any 2.2 yet anyway). I've had my newest Evo for over a week now and, so far so good (it is 0003 with an Epson panel).

Oh yeah, and Swype is ******* ace! Everyone that sees it is amazed, tries it and loves it. If you don't feel like swyping, you can just use it like a normal keyboard. Highly recommended (not on the market, google it!).

Also, picolyl's LED Light widget is my favorite flashlight app by far (and it's free).

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Its actually got a slower processor than your Nexus. Can't quite understand that one myself.

Well, to be fair, most phones have a slower processor than the Nexus One.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's some more pics of my phone

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j149/marsupialedman10/snap20100930_104753.png
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j149/marsupialedman10/snap20100930_104801.png
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j149/marsupialedman10/snap20100930_104756.png
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j149/marsupialedman10/snap20100930_104810.png

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/30/s...r-notificatio/
Study: select Android apps sharing data without user notification By Darren Murph posted Sep 30th 2010 4:06PM Come one, come all -- let's gather and act shocked, shall we? It's no secret that Google's Android Market is far easier to penetrate than Apple's App Store, which is most definitely a double-edged sword. On one hand, you aren't stuck waiting a lifetime for Apple to approve a perfectly sound app; on the other, you may end up accidentally downloading some Nazi themes that scar you for life. A curious team of scientists from Intel Labs, Penn State and Duke University recently utilized a so-called TaintDroid extension in order to log and monitor the actions of 30 Android apps -- 30 that were picked from the 358 most popular. Their findings? That half of their sample (15, if you're rusty in the math department) shared location information and / or other unique identifiers (IMEI numbers, phone numbers, SIM numbers, etc.) with advertisers. Making matters worse, those 15 didn't actually inform end-users that data was being shared, and some of 'em beamed out information while applications were dormant. Unfortunately for us all, the researchers didn't bother to rat out the 15 evil apps mentioned here, so good luck resting easy knowing that your library of popular apps could be spying on you right now.
study.jpg

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow is the big day, SERO users! I wonder if Sprint overnight shipping delivers on Saturday....I'll be at a conference in DC from Sunday-Wednesday.
confused.gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Tomorrow is the big day, SERO users! I wonder if Sprint overnight shipping delivers on Saturday....I'll be at a conference in DC from Sunday-Wednesday.
confused.gif

What are you going to get? I'm holding out until Xmas or the new year. Nothing worth jumping in and committing myself to 2 years for.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
What are you going to get? I'm holding out until Xmas or the new year. Nothing worth jumping in and committing myself to 2 years for.

Going to give the Epic a shot; we'll see how it goes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads