• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

living in hell

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
so many posters here live in proverbial armpits. i can't even imagine what it's like to have shiot restaurants and bad marinara and no boutiques and such. how do you deal?

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
so many posters here live in proverbial armpits. i can't even imagine what it's like to have shiot restaurants and bad marinara and no boutiques and such. how do you deal?

I ******** with MarkI's slutty gf.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps they cook for themselves and make their own clothing...or something...

CrazyJ

Reaction score
I guess Tampa would be a "proverbial armpit" or whatever compared to somewhere else more metropolitan like NYC. But there are trade-offs. Yeah there's no boutiques, and most of our restaurants suck major ass, but it's really cheap and spacious to live here. My brother lives in NYC and his wife bitches all the time how they pay triple our mortgage for a one room underground apartment Brooklyn, while we have a 1400sqft. house with an extra 400sq ft back yard for 650/month. It's more relaxing, in a domestic kinda way... I can sit back under our gazebo, let my dogs run around while I smoke a bowl listening to jack johnson on my laptop all in my own privacy, sometimes watching the rain and lightning from underneath.
There's quite a few spots me and my girl frequent after work. An irish pub, a goth-type club, some nice restaurants down in the rich end for lunch. It's just so much more relaxing than the city. As for clothes, I order everything off the net. But because of that, there is no one living in Tampa who really knows anything about actual genuine fashion. Most people consider whatever is sold at Nordstrom's to be the top couture you can get. lol.

Now I'm not gonna say I want to stay here forever. Certainly the biggest disadvantage is that there's no room to grow here. It's a retirement city unless you're happy plateauing your life as a server or some other low-rate job. Eventually, my career in programming will lead me outside of Tampa where there is more opportunity for job growth. But to sum up your question, it's far from living in hell.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^yeah, i was thinking more non mid or major cities. like sarasota or talahassee as opposed to tampa.

CrazyJ

Reaction score
Well actually they follow the same rules. Sarasota is just like Tampa: a bunch of suburbs, with the rich and the poor mixed in pretty well, and then a small central downtown. There aren't really any rich sectors, rather walled-off estates kind of surrounded by ghetto. But the downtown area in Sarasota is ******* beautiful, and actually has way more interesting restaurants and boutiques than the Tampa downtown district does.

Tallahassee I don't know much about. I've heard it's mostly just a college town, because outside of UF there's nothing there really.

What I consider hellishly boring is where my fiancee came from. She was born in Destin, FL, and aside from a bunch of redneck bars, a nice beach, suburbs, and shopping outlets, there is nothing there. The tallest building is like 3 or 4 stories there. It's ridiculous. Imagine living your life there for 18 years... blahhhh!

edit: on the other hand, the trade-off is again apparent even in Destin. If you only really care about you and your family and not about things to do around, it's amazing what you can get for your dollar there. To be right around the corner from one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, for practically nothing.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CrazyJew
What I consider hellishly boring is where my fiancee came from. She was born in Destin, FL, and aside from a bunch of redneck bars, a nice beach, suburbs, and shopping outlets, there is nothing there. The tallest building is like 3 or 4 stories there. It's ridiculous. Imagine living your life there for 18 years... blahhhh!
I grew up in a small town in Wisconsin, we didn't even have a beach. I coped by doing a ton of drugs and getting into trouble. Thankfully college let me escape that shithole.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I did my undergrad years in a shithole town. You do what you have to: get close to your friends or co-workers, and form a tight knit group. When the surroundings are nothing, people become everything.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
I did my undergrad years in a shithole town. You do what you have to: get close to your friends or co-workers, and form a tight knit group. When the surroundings are nothing, people become everything.

I'll cosign this. The friends I grew up with are still my closest friends. It helps that every single one of us escaped from there and made something of ourselves. Not a single one of them still lives there.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drugs and alcohol is how we roll in real Amurika (pop. <2,000) Also agree with AB, people have long lasting friendships out here.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Pun
Drugs and alcohol is how we roll in real Amurika (pop. <2,000) Also agree with AB, people have long lasting friendships out here.

They also tend to NEVER LEAVE.

I grew up in a small historical railroad town (lol) and went to school in a city that was falling apart due to the US Manufacturing collapse. I'm so glad to not live in either at this point in life even if I do pay double or even triple most people's mortgages for a room in manhattan.

Married, kids, family, then I might think about moving elsewhere...but probably not too far. Maybe Brooklyn Heights
laugh.gif

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Me too. My college town had 3 mexi restaurants, sonic, wendy's, waffle house, mcdonalds, and a walmart. It was a dry county. Had to drive 30 minutes to the nearest liquor store. Literally nothing to do there. No bowling alley, no movie theatre NOTHING And to echo what the otehr guys are saying. We would grill out or go and grab wings and beer 3-4 nights a week. Had to have a good friend group. I honestly can say that my college experience was good in spite of the location.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylish Pilot
Me too. My college town had 3 mexi restaurants, sonic, wendy's, waffle house, mcdonalds, and a walmart. It was a dry county. Had to drive 30 minutes to the nearest liquor store. Literally nothing to do there. No bowling alley, no movie theatre NOTHING

Dude, you had a Sonic! I'm already jealous. The no bowling alley kinda sucks. Dollar games and $4 pitchers of light beer were the best.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Yeah. Drugs, the internet, and the occasional self-mutilation. *sob*
Oh yeah, I also cope with SF lol. I was just thinking, everytime I mention something I've only heard from SF, it is met with confused alienated stares, so uhh, thanks SF?
confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads