• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
You'd be surprised at how many people don't do the research. Guaranteed to save you lots of time and money.

Unless of course you're thrifting in my neck of the woods where one chain that shall remain nameless continues to ask outrageous prices. ALL suits are now $175. Whether it's Brooks Mainline or RLPL. Even if it is RLPL, like the one I saw today, I'm not going to pay $175 for a used suit that is often going to require pricey tailoring. That price is not far off from outlet prices anyway - for a NEW suit! I pretty close to writing a letter to the head office explaining how I used to spend hundreds, maybe even thousands at their stores over the course of the year, whereas now I hesitate to walk through the door. And when I do, I'm utterly disgusted at the prices. Fortunately, not all the chains have gotten this crazy.

housingworks?

Hoofit

Reaction score
Just picked this up this morning. Still need to clean and bath the thing in Lexol. Leather is very dry. Made in USA split cowhide by Carlton. Never heard of them, but seems like it will clean up nice. Pardon the inadequate cell phone pics. $2.99
Photo0115.jpg

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a few goodies today:

- Agnona Brown/Charcoal flannel flat front trousers. Look like they were never worn. My size.
- Recent navy tonal stripe suit from Canali. Side vented. 3-button.
- Filson Shelter Cloth Brush pants

Sadly I had some rather unfortunate finds too:

- Gorgeous Oxxford navy flannel stripe trousers. Sadly, these were obviously orphans. Turned the store upside-down looking for the jacket with no luck. It was a beautiful suit at one time...

- 2 pairs of Barbour moleskin trousers. One had bad pilling and the other had some stains I wasn't too confident in removing.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
housingworks?
BINGO! They're awful. They often have the best stuff, but the prices are crazy. It used to be much more reasonable. As recently as 18 months ago I scored a Kiton sportcoat for $8. And just last year I found a Kiton suit for $25 ... just two examples. That could never happen now... Fortunately, however, there are plenty of other options here for thrift stores. So looking elsewhere today I found a bespoke Edward Sexton blazer and 4 Charvet ties. There were actually 11 Charvet ties. But the pricing varied, as did the patterns, so I just picked what I thought were the best 4.

lynch_king

Reaction score
I found a burberry trench coat

I don't know if its real or not.

Did they ever make them out of pokyester and cotton blend?

the zipper is broken, and 3 buttons on it are broken, it also is missing the belt thing around the waist

the label is the old style Burberrys one with the prorsum on the horse

the fabric looks new and unworn butall the broken buttons and the missing zipper, this trench has seen better days.

i paid too much for it too $25

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went back to see if the Zegna shirts were still there, they wernt.
There were a bunch of Brioni goods though, SC's and suits, all in 56 EXL, all were MTM and none of them had a buttoniere hole and they were super padded shoulders.
I passed.
It was nice to get that little bit of a high on seeing brioni horsey lining....too bad they sucked.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lynch_king
I found a burberry trench coat

I don't know if its real or not.

Did they ever make them out of pokyester and cotton blend?

the zipper is broken, and 3 buttons on it are broken, it also is missing the belt thing around the waist

the label is the old style Burberrys one with the prorsum on the horse

the fabric looks new and unworn butall the broken buttons and the missing zipper, this trench has seen better days.

i paid too much for it too $25

its a raincoat of course it has poly in it,BUT thats a good thing for you in this instance.
i have one that was in really bad shape,threw it in the washer/dryer and steamed all the wrinkles out and looks like new.the only thing you cant save is the leather if it has split off the belt buckle

lynch_king

Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
its a raincoat of course it has poly in it,BUT thats a good thing for you in this instance.
i have one that was in really bad shape,threw it in the washer/dryer and steamed all the wrinkles out and looks like new.the only thing you cant save is the leather if it has split off the belt buckle

oh nice! thats great to hear.

i don't havethe belt unfortunately

it did not come with it!!!

the leather on the buckles of the sleeves are slitting though

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
BINGO! They're awful. They often have the best stuff, but the prices are crazy. It used to be much more reasonable. As recently as 18 months ago I scored a Kiton sportcoat for $8. And just last year I found a Kiton suit for $25 ... just two examples. That could never happen now...

Fortunately, however, there are plenty of other options here for thrift stores. So looking elsewhere today I found an Edward Sexton blazer and 4 Charvet ties. There were actually 11 Charvet ties. But the pricing varied, as did the patterns, so I just picked what I thought were the best 4.

figured. i never went in there, or any other thrifts, but it has that vibe.

where else do you go?

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Went back to see if the Zegna shirts were still there, they wernt.
There were a bunch of Brioni goods though, SC's and suits, all in 56 EXL, all were MTM and none of them had a buttoniere hole and they were super padded shoulders.
I passed.
It was nice to get that little bit of a high on seeing brioni horsey lining....too bad they sucked.

I might have been interested. i like the old Roman Style stuff

le Dauphin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexei
Nice ties! I've picked up a couple YSL wool ties recently too that are perfect autumnal ties.

Thanks. It's just about that time of year for 'em too
smile.gif

-Matt

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
figured. i never went in there, or any other thrifts, but it has that vibe.

where else do you go?

All over.

lynch_king

Reaction score
i picked up a Robert talbott shirt
i know the ties are nice but IDK about the shirt, i liked the design so i bought it

and a YVes Saint laurent tie, the label does not read Yves Saint Laurent Neck wear, says new york and paris on the corners like the newer stuff kinda weird

ALSO:
Does anyone want a XXL Zanella shirt, made in italy its like a tweed looking striped pattern camel colored. buttons are zegna esque mother of pearl

i can run back and get it

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a clothing item, but super nice. I spotted this hiding out at the Goodwill near the carts:
kona_dawg_2009.jpg
'09 Kona Dawg. Retail $2,300. I approached the sales associate and asked if it was for sale. I was real anxious and my heart was beating pretty fast. I was anticipating "Sure is. We just put it out, they're making a tag up for you. I think they want $50 for it because it's not your Wal-Mart special Murray". Wrong!! What I got was "It's actually for our silent auction. Here's the book if you'd like to place a bid."
baldy[1].gif
ffffuuuu.gif
I looked for the hell of it and it was at $250 with 4 days left to go. With the neighborhood the store is in, there are a lot of people who know what the bike is and will bid it up to what it's worth. Damn! Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads