• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

borderline

Reaction score
In search of a shoe...

Requirements:

<$300
Leather sole preferred, rubber maybe (if only to get the price down).

cap toe or plain toe
minimal broguing (is that a word?)
chile color preferred, dark brown or walnut also possible.
Blucher style
No wingtips, have plenty

Been through the AE website and didn't find anything I liked.
Alden is mostly >$450..., but I liked these two...Anything similar that is less expensive?

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-men...laza_last.html

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-men..._calfskin.html

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by max_r
is 2" of extra space at the end of the toe of a dress shoe too much?
It's quite a lot but not unheard of for an elongated last, which those shoes look like they are supposed to be. If they feel comfortable then I wouldn't size down, they might end up being too small and uncomfortable. The amount of toe-space has more to do with the last shape than with the actual size of the shoe. The only thing that matters is whether you think they look too long when wearing them; if they look fine then don't worry about it.

dbc

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get tie pins?
Am looking at Pietra Dura but expecting that to be hideously expensive. And I have no idea where I can find them too.

BossTweed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by borderline
In search of a shoe...

Requirements:

<$300
Leather sole preferred, rubber maybe (if only to get the price down).

cap toe or plain toe
minimal broguing (is that a word?)
chile color preferred, dark brown or walnut also possible.
Blucher style
No wingtips, have plenty

Been through the AE website and didn't find anything I liked.
Alden is mostly >$450..., but I liked these two...Anything similar that is less expensive?

I'd recommend the Loake 1880 line at that price point -- pretty decent shoes for under $250.

Check out the models at pediwear.
http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/ranges/55.php

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
With a navy suit, would snuff suede shoes look better or dark brown suede.

Please keep in mind that I am a conservative dresser. I am looking for a low key look rather than a flamboyant one

Originally Posted by NOBD
Both will do. The dark brown is a bit safer for your wishes, but I don't think the snuff will be flamboyant. (From these two I like the snuff better.)

Thanks, if only they made the snuff suede one in dark brown, I would be set

ronnierobjr

Reaction score
Anyone get these annoying rips in the elbows of your dress shirts? I seem to continue to get them in the same spot on each shirt I buy. It takes some time but they eventually get it. Is this repairable/patchable? Thoughts or suggestions on how to avoid this?

Thanks RR

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
It's quite a lot but not unheard of for an elongated last, which those shoes look like they are supposed to be. If they feel comfortable then I wouldn't size down, they might end up being too small and uncomfortable. The amount of toe-space has more to do with the last shape than with the actual size of the shoe. The only thing that matters is whether you think they look too long when wearing them; if they look fine then don't worry about it.

yeah, i do think they looked a bit long when worn. plus i like to wear slim pants, which kind of emphasizes a clown-like silhouette

luckily i found a store nearby that sells this brand, and while they dont have the same shoe, they have some similar-shaped ones, and i tried them on. turns out 8 is too small, but they dont have half sizes. hopefully the 8.5 is right when it comes in.

if it makes a difference, i can shove my foot forward in the shoe, and i can get an extra like .5" gap between my heel and the back of the shoe.

anyway, thanks for the help, i'm used to shoes with round toes so i'm not really sure what i'm doing with chisel toe shoes.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of the B&S regulars may have noticed I've been doing a LOT of closet cleaning lately.

I ran across a really nice Gloverall toggle/duffle coat that I had special ordered from England -- their very top of the line model! -- and although it's something like a 38 and I wear a 41, the thing is HUGE. I didn't return it because I had to pay like $150 to customs to get it, blah blah.

My question is... is such a coat SUPPOSED to be really big? It doesn't look bad, and I've worn it once or twice, but I can't help but feel like I'm swimming in it. Or is that just a reaction to the current trend of slim-fitting stuff?

Thanks in advance!

poissa

Reaction score
Anyone know of MTM from India? I'd like a similar service that Jantzen, MyTailor provide.

poissa

Reaction score
Do I need a professional's service to fix the sticker that was placed on the breast of this jacket?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

MattMan745

Reaction score
Hey,

Does anyone know who makes this tie?

On-Set-of-Wall-Street-2-Money-Never-Sleeps-shia-labeouf-8240922-1063-1599.jpg

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Some of the B&S regulars may have noticed I've been doing a LOT of closet cleaning lately.

I ran across a really nice Gloverall toggle/duffle coat that I had special ordered from England -- their very top of the line model! -- and although it's something like a 38 and I wear a 41, the thing is HUGE. I didn't return it because I had to pay like $150 to customs to get it, blah blah.

My question is... is such a coat SUPPOSED to be really big? It doesn't look bad, and I've worn it once or twice, but I can't help but feel like I'm swimming in it. Or is that just a reaction to the current trend of slim-fitting stuff?

Thanks in advance!

They're intended to fit over a couple layers, but you shouldn't be swimming in it. What have you worn underneath when trying it on?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poissa
Do I need a professional's service to fix the sticker that was placed on the breast of this jacket?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Lexol's cleaner or something similar should do the trick.

Reaction score
I just found a Burburry long tan trench coat at a thrift store. I can't find the size but it must be either a 40 or a 38 (I think). At any rate I picked up cause I knew it was a find, but what should I do with it? Sell it? I could keep it but the sleeves are a bit too short.

Lawlz

Reaction score
Interview tomorrow morning. I have a dark navy suit (thanks to SF's guidance!) and a white shirt. I thought I'd post up some quick laptop-pics just to see what people think of tie options. (Partially just to test if my intuitions are correct.) Which of the following are DANGER! DO NOT EVER TRY THIS! ties? (My guesses: the gray tie is okay, the dark purple tie is okay, the green tie is too tacky/non-traditional, and the gray is too "reflective safety tape".)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics