• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
I have a strange question: Does playing a round alone suck?

Anyone have any thoughts on the idea?

I play alone frequently and I enjoy it. In fact, I used to play alone more than with people and it used to bother me when I was paired with other groups, but I've reached a point where I enjoy being paired with strangers and playing a round with them. Maybe I've just been lucky and been paired with nice people. If I'm playing alone and the course isn't crowded I'll play two balls, try different things and work on certain parts of my game. The only downside I have found to playing alone is I sometimes lose focus and start screwing around.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I am still have major problems with driver consistency. It's getting on my nerves as I'm getting pretty consistent with my irons, and when I first started, I seemed to be crushing the driver easily. It was when my instructor started messing with my swing and grip that my driver f'ed up.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I am still have major problems with driver consistency. It's getting on my nerves as I'm getting pretty consistent with my irons, and when I first started, I seemed to be crushing the driver easily. It was when my instructor started messing with my swing and grip that my driver f'ed up.

Get used to driver inconsistency. I'll go weeks with the driver being the best club in my bag and then all of a sudden the driver becomes the worst club in my bag for a few weeks. Repeat cycle.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What are your inconsistencies like? slice one swing, hook another? Or worm burner, then a straight drive?

What are your swing thoughts when you are about to hit? You do make a different swing with your driver than your irons right?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Now you see why I leave them at home.

I spend precious little time on my game as it is, no point in trying to come to terms with one stick out of 14 when I don't really need that much distance off the tee anyway.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Now you see why I leave them at home.

I spend precious little time on my game as it is, no point in trying to come to terms with one stick out of 14 when I don't really need that much distance off the tee anyway.

Yeah, but chicks dig the long ball.

I'll admit for me that the driver is part of an ego thing and part because it's my favorite club to swing.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylish Pilot
What are your inconsistencies like? slice one swing, hook another? Or worm burner, then a straight drive?

What are your swing thoughts when you are about to hit? You do make a different swing with your driver than your irons right?

Swing, yes, different. Sweeping stroke, hit ball on upstroke. I tend to either hit well or off the distal and dorsal part of the club (top of club, furthest from my hands). When this happens I get a 10 yard pop fly or it goes skittering off to the extreme right (I'm right handed).

My recent thoughts are, my right hand doesn't feel correct on my grip. In the last month I made the move from baseball grip to Vardon. I'm actually thinking of trying a baseball again on the driver only.

To T-bone and BDC, yeah, last Saturday I finally gave up on the driver and started using an iron of the tee box.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
coolpapaboze;3648369 said:
I play alone frequently and I enjoy it. In fact, I used to play alone more than with people and it used to bother me when I was paired with other groups, but I've reached a point where I enjoy being paired with strangers and playing a round with them. Maybe I've just been lucky and been paired with nice people. If I'm playing alone and the course isn't crowded I'll play two balls, try different things and work on certain parts of my game. QUOTE]

I've been playing now for about 37 years and I'd wager that up to half the time or more I've gone out alone. On a weekend it's a great way to meet people. Nearly everyone I've ever met playing golf has been great. Got to play lots of great courses without tee times because I was alone and could easily get worked in (including Pebble Beach).

I've also done the two ball thing when I'm actually by myself. My only fear is that I'll be playing alone when I get my first hole in one.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano

I've also done the two ball thing when I'm actually by myself. My only fear is that I'll be playing alone when I get my first hole in one.

I've been fortunate to make two holes in one and in both cases I didn't see the ball go in. One was a blind tee shot up a hill, the other had a small hill in front of the green obscuring the bottom of the flag. Unfortunately both were in the middle of what was otherwise a horrendous round.
laugh.gif

Played today for the first time in a month after straining a rib cage muscle and shot 39 for nine holes, which was a pleasant surprise. Incidentally, there's no worse injury as a golfer. Felt like there was a knife in my ribs for a good two weeks and basically couldn't do anything.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolpapaboze
I've been fortunate to make two holes in one and in both cases I didn't see the ball go in. One was a blind tee shot up a hill, the other had a small hill in front of the green obscuring the bottom of the flag. Unfortunately both were in the middle of what was otherwise a horrendous round.
laugh.gif

I've played, as I said for about 37-38 years including competitively in High School and (very small) College. I've played thousands of rounds and witnessed many more and have only actually seen one hole in one (my father). I've hit the pin countless times. I've had the ball stop two inches away many times. I even caved in the edge of the hole from hitting it on the fly in a club championship 15 years or so ago. But none have ever gone in. I've eagled par fours from the fairway a couple of times, which can be thought of as functionally the same thing...but it doesn't count. Was talking to a buddy of mine whose dad is 70, took up the game at 50, hacks the ball around in retirement and has 7 holes in one. SEVEN. FML.
ffffuuuu.gif

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the input. I think I might try to play nine by myself after work on Friday. It won't cost too much more than some range time, and I can see if I like playing alone.

My only concern is getting paired up with someone. It would kind of defeat the purpose of playing alone. More important, however, is the fact that I'm still learning, so I'd feel bad if I was paired with someone who is much better than I am. I'd worry that I was slowing them down and annoying them.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That happened to me, made a hole in one during a practice round on my own... Still a sore wound..

That said, ive never seen anyone else make one.

@pio, stick to the vardon grip. Feels akward in the beginning, but reverting back to the baseball grip will stifle your development as a player later on...

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Swing, yes, different. Sweeping stroke, hit ball on upstroke. I tend to either hit well or off the distal and dorsal part of the club (top of club, furthest from my hands). When this happens I get a 10 yard pop fly or it goes skittering off to the extreme right (I'm right handed). My recent thoughts are, my right hand doesn't feel correct on my grip. In the last month I made the move from baseball grip to Vardon. I'm actually thinking of trying a baseball again on the driver only. To T-bone and BDC, yeah, last Saturday I finally gave up on the driver and started using an iron of the tee box.
x2 for keeping the Vardon. When i switched from interlock to vardon I felt like i was going to throw the club every time. Now anything else just feels weird. Sounds like you're coming a bit too far inside the ball. Maybe scoot just an inch closer and see if that helps. Hitting off the toe def has the most dramatic consequence out of all the mishits. I WILL play golf next week. And add me to the list of someone who's never hit a hole in one. I've seen someone skull a short iron into the flag and drop into the hole. Was total BS

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm for sure keeping the Vardon on the irons. It has really added consistency, distance and straightened me out (for the most part). The driver still just feels off. I feel I'm sort of coming over from the outside and swinging in. I've taken that half step in, figuring I was too far out and the natural bend to the elbow was happening on the swing.

I have a lesson on 10/25 and 11/6 scheduled.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
Thanks to everyone for the input. I think I might try to play nine by myself after work on Friday. It won't cost too much more than some range time, and I can see if I like playing alone.

My only concern is getting paired up with someone. It would kind of defeat the purpose of playing alone. More important, however, is the fact that I'm still learning, so I'd feel bad if I was paired with someone who is much better than I am. I'd worry that I was slowing them down and annoying them.

The only time I've ever been annoyed with a fellow golfer was when they were taking too long to play and/or find their ball. When I was first starting I always carried a few spares in my pocket so I could drop right there if I couldn't find my ball in a minute or two. I like playing quickly, though.

If they're just playing badly but not holding me/us up, then I tend more towards sympathy than frustration, but I make damn sure to not watch them swing at all, because I tend to pick up on their swing flaws and then my game goes downhill from there.

And, FWIW, your fellow golfer may be concentrating on his own game and you might not talk much at all. And if he/she's any good, they likely won't be watching your swing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads