• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Contract Law Question

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CouttsClient
I suppose I'm arguing that I don't care whether or not it's fair. If I decide I no longer want to use your services I will say so and I will not pay for them if I no longer need them. If you would like to pursue it legally you are withing your rights to do so. I've never had a problem getting out of contracts that no longer were of benefit to me...

You sound like a wonderful person to do business with.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by River Dog
If you are a lawyer and that's your position, I wouldn't want you as my lawyer ever. Countless people have been screwed by cell phone companies, gyms and many other services when they didn't deliver customer satisfaction and promises made, so those customers should be able to walk but instead they don't know any better and take it ********** by paying crazy penalities.

You should be telling people that yes, make some phone calls to a lawyer if you want to and do some research to try to get out of the contract if you are not happy. I would rather pay your crazy lawyer fee to get me out of a contract, then to give one more cent to a company that I hate.

as do you.

River Dog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern

The customer is always right. You sound like a gym owner with your support of these kinds of contracts.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a fantastic person to do business with. I always pay on time and support the businesses that support my community but I'm not successful because I'm willing to put up with obvious bullshit. If that gym would have asked me to pay a fee to cancel I would have done so but they didn't. They acted as if I had no way out. I did and I took it. Not my problem.

River Dog

Reaction score
I'm a fantastic person to do business with. I always pay on time and support the businesses that support my community but I'm not successful because I'm willing to put up with obvious bullshit.

If that gym would have asked me to pay a fee to cancel I would have done so but they didn't. They acted as if I had no way out. I did and I took it. Not my problem.

+ ******* 1.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a fantastic person to do business with. I always pay on time and support the businesses that support my community but I'm not successful because I'm willing to put up with obvious bullshit.

If that gym would have asked me to pay a fee to cancel I would have done so but they didn't. They acted as if I had no way out. I did and I took it. Not my problem.

I suppose I'm arguing that I don't care whether or not it's fair. If I decide I no longer want to use your services I will say so and I will not pay for them if I no longer need them. If you would like to pursue it legally you are within your rights to do so. I've never had a problem getting out of contracts that no longer were of benefit to me...

laugh.gif

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Let me add too that my brother is a lawyer and over the years, he has informed me on collection agencies and contracts of this nature in legal terms. They are a joke, but how many people are going to hire a lawyer to go to small claims court.

Your brother is a lawyer.
eh.gif

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The customer is always right. You sound like a gym owner with your support of these kinds of contracts.

Yes, we should be more like you and allow companies to take advantage of us.

My point is more that you seem to have the attitude that you are above the law of contracts. You take on the victim role with such ease it's astonishing to me. Can you not read the contracts that you sign? If you don't like the gym's terms, go to a different gym, work out at home, whatever. You're not a victim just because you changed your mind about something.

River Dog

Reaction score
My point is more that you seem to have the attitude that you are above the law of contracts. You take on the victim role with such ease it's astonishing to me. Can you not read the contracts that you sign? If you don't like the gym's terms, go to a different gym, work out at home, whatever. You're not a victim just because you changed your mind about something.

Because I am not the kind of person that just says oh well and hand people my money if I am not happy with the service they provide. If I can get out of something, I will try to. If I can't, well at least I tried. To me, this is a better position than the one that most people take, which is accept getting screwed.

How many times have we heard stories about people getting cell phone bills for crazy amounts of money and it actually wasn't their fault or there was something not explained properly by some punk kid at the cell phone store, but doesn't matter, because the company doesn't care and they are going to make you pay for it. That is wrong.

There are ways to get out of contracts and it seems you don't like that I try to get out of one or that I have a lawyer in my family telling me how to do it. We are not talking about murder here or even a crime in any sense of the word. I am not above the law, I am simply informed through my brother's extensive legal experience on how to get out of a gym contract.

One thing you are also forgetting. A small mom and pop gym is not expecting people to hire lawyers, so when they get a surprising call from one or the threat of any legal action from the customer, it's a situation they will most likely not want to get involved in. Companies intimidate customers all the time, so it is interesting when you see it happen the other way around.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the OP there was nothing to indicate that he was unsatisfied with his gym. Your assumption that the consumer is being screwed is begging the question.

Changing your mind about something is not being screwed. Having your circumstances change is not being screwed.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In the OP there was nothing to indicate that he was unsatisfied with his gym. Your assumption that the consumer is being screwed is begging the question.

Changing your mind about something is not being screwed. Having your circumstances change is not being screwed.

Dude, you can't beat him. His brother is a lawyer. He's better than you because he doesn't do what the MAN tells him to. He beats the system. You're just a prole who follows the rules.

River Dog

Reaction score

No, I offered my experience and knowledge that gym contracts are generally weak. If he had a lawyer in his family or a friend that was a lawyer, it might be worth it for him to send them a copy of the contract and get their feedback. Also when one changes their mind when it comes to any company, it usually has something to do with not being happy and that is a valid reason to want to get out of any contract.

River Dog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Dude, you can't beat him. His brother is a lawyer. He's better than you because he doesn't do what the MAN tells him to. He beats the system. You're just a prole who follows the rules.

That's not it at all. He could have looked at the contract and said to me that I was fucked and if I didn't want my credit ruined, just pay them. Are you suggesting it was wrong of me to ask my brother what he thinks I should do? If you had a doctor, lawyer, dentist, accoutant or whatever in your family and you could get free advice, wouldn't you?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads