• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent non-Sartorialist Looks

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ Having none of their own, it's just men (or designers) looking to co-opt a little "feminine mystique."

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
tumblr_l9dt9v6vNl1qbnks2o1_500.jpg
004alberto10wp.jpg
tumblr_l9dh7qKLCe1qb5a3zo1_400.jpg

All three of these have something interesting going on. I don't totally dig the final complete look for little reasons in each case, but each look is genuinely interesting, with points of detail worth noticing (colours on the first, fabrics on the second, both on the third). Good selection.
Originally Posted by HHD
e-tautz-ss11-3.jpg

Love the attitude of this look. Very cool.

Schorsch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
WTF is that stupid sockless fad?

I like the look. It's a bit of carelessness in an otherwise buttoned-up, close-fitting world. Without contrast, one blends into the background.

And: I don't often have the opportunity to wear suits, but I don't wear socks all summer long. My core temp goes up dramatically if I'm wearing socks. The ankles have remarkable thermo-regulating capacity.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Schorsch
I like the look. It's a bit of carelessness in an otherwise buttoned-up, close-fitting world. Without contrast, one blends into the background.

And: I don't often have the opportunity to wear suits, but I don't wear socks all summer long. My core temp goes up dramatically if I'm wearing socks. The ankles have remarkable thermo-regulating capacity.

In casual senvironments ,no problem at all..

Even wearing loafers without socks with a linen suit is acceptable but not in a more conservative city suit configuration...

I find the all thing affected...

People are trying too hard to look different and interesting..

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Schorsch

It's not carelessness if it's planned. The handful of people who actually forget to wear socks generally regret it.

Anyway, while I can live with summer socklessness, bare ankles with wool clothing is straight up marsupialed.

Schorsch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
In casual senvironments ,no problem at all..

Even wearing loafers without socks with a linen suit is acceptable but not in a more conservative city suit configuration...

I find the all thing affected...

People are trying too hard to look different and interesting..

I'm just trying hard not to wear cargo shorts and flip flops. It's the only way I can survive this heat, and still dress well enough to respect myself.

Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
It's not carelessness if it's planned. The handful of people who actually forget to wear socks generally regret it.

Anyway, while I can live with summer socklessness, bare ankles with wool clothing is straight up marsupialed.

Even if it's planned, it can be careless, connotating a willingness to buck convention. The definition also encompasses ease, lack of concern, etc. I regret putting on socks on hot days.

And you hit upon the transitional season question, wherein one might see summer socklessness mixing with an autumn sweater. Observing transitions is more fun than simply putting away summer clothes and exchanging for autumn.

But yes, in winter, not wearing socks has no stylistic nor practical purpose. Agreed.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
I wonder what badge the Nazis would have forced him to wear, given that was neither jewish, homosexual etc.

They probably would have just shot him instead...

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
I wonder what badge the Nazis would have forced him to wear, given that was neither jewish, homosexual etc.

An Amish badge?

HHD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by geoffmartin17
That brown DB from etautz is unreal.

Yeah I've got my eye on that too. I've been pondering a double-breasted for a while and this one is more-or-less perfect in terms of length and cut. Wonder what material it's made from? The SS 2011 reviews said jackets were in silk/linen, hopsack and fresco...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads