• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Cribs: The places behind the clothes

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
wow, nice. I couldn't even renovate a bowl of oatmeal.
+1

I've never even painted a wall

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
wow, nice. I couldn't even renovate a bowl of oatmeal. Emeco heritage chair? It's like a hertiage with a navy base.
they're original emeco navy chairs. a little beaten up, but perfect as deck chairs, and for work around the house. i could hardly operate a drill a year ago. i learned most of this stuff as i went, but i have a few carpenter/contractor friends that gave me pointers during the process.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
lame

I've never used lamÃ
00a9.png
paint either.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
+1

I'll paint your walls for a fraction of the cost of a contractor. I can't gurantee a flawless job, but I can guarantee my US citizenship.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll paint your walls for a fraction of the cost of a contractor. I can't gurantee a flawless job, but I can guarantee my US citizenship.

The painting part is fun...its the prep work that sucks MASSIVE balls

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc

truly. spent as much (or more) time taping as i did applying 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc

100% true. I taped off a room I painted for hours and still the god damn paint crept underneath.
ffffuuuu.gif

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
100% true. I taped off a room I painted for hours and still the god damn paint crept underneath.
ffffuuuu.gif

I've learned how to cut a line without taping...I am not perfect like a pro though so it is a tradeoff between a perfect sharp line that is not perfectly staight (in any given 1ft section it looks straight but on the whole it sort of wobbles) and a kind of sloppy taped line that has bleeds but is ruler-straight. Doing it without tape wins for me though since it doesn't require the time to tape and you can't pull up old paint (good if you are painting two intersecting colors so the paint is not fully hard) The one trick to taping that does work though is to lay the tape down, paint with the color that you just taped over (so the bleeding blends in) and then paint over that with the new color. For me the bad prep part is cleaning/sanding/drywall taping/hole repair...painting walls in old apartments that have previously been painted by careless tools is not fun.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I can't get spackled holes to blend with the original paint to save my life. Other than that, painting's easy. If you **** up, just paint over it again. Easy.

Use Frog Tape guys. WAY better than the 3M blue crap.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I can't get spackled holes to blend with the original paint to save my life. .

Really? I''ve never had that problem. Do you use low lustre or glossy on your walls or something? Shouldn't be too difficult with interior matte.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+2. buying a house made in 1889 is probably really smart.

Originally Posted by gdl203
+1

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
Really? I''ve never had that problem. Do you use low lustre or glossy on your walls or something? Shouldn't be too difficult with interior matte.

This problem can happen in walls that have been painted poorly or very many times and have a pretty strong orange-peel effect (or it can happen in walls that are actually textured). The spackle sections will come out smoother than painted sections and the only perfect solution is to sand the whole wall to match.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads