• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spending $1000 on 2 pairs of shoes

Richard Pryor

Reaction score
Have a small dilema. Maybe you guys can help. I come with respect and humility, and would appreciate some advice. Please lets try and stay on subject this time. Apparently, threads titled "Spending XXX on shoes/suits/ties" creates some kind of hostility towards the OP. Once again, the price is there for the budget, nothing else. I have to buy 2 pair of shoes during the next couple of weeks. I need to get a black cap toe shoe so I can wear them with a suit to a friends wedding and I need to buy either a wingtip or a loafer to wear them to the rehearsal dinner the day before the wedding (attire is casual but elegant). I was hoping I could buy a wingtip formal enough so that I could wear them with a suit in the future. In an article published by Esquire they named the Bruno Magli Rochyro Wingtip (brown) as the best of the bunch. These are the words used by the writer: "And then there is the pair that puts it all together: a traditional wingtip assembled as high-fashion for your feet. They get attention. Immediately." Pardon my ignorance, but is Bruno Magli still considered as a top shoe brand? All I hear on the boards is either J. Lobb, Alden, Church & AE (among others). Bruno rarely gets mentioned. I did a search for "Magli AND wingtip" and just got 22 hits. How are those shoes? I honestly like them more than both AE wingtip and Alden's wingtip, and the price is relatively comparable to the Aldens. Now to my second inquiry. I was kind of set on buying the Alden Cap toes for $416 because I could not find a deal on the AE Park Avenue. Some people here say it's not worth it to buy AE shoes at retail price. Well, is it worth it to pay $100 more for a pair of Adens that are basically identical to the Park Avenues? Or am I missing the point? It should be pretty obvious that I don't know a lot about shoes and I'm just starting out. But I need to get these 2 pairs during the next couple of days. I appreciate your time and advice. EDIT: I just noticed the Bruno's have a rubber sole. I'm assuming that's a big no no, and the reason for the low price?

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brunos are often glue jobs, so they can't be recrafted or resoled. I've also found the leather on them to be pretty low quality compared to better makers. For $1,000, you could do a lot better.

I've never had any serious experience with Aldens, unfortunately, so I'll let someone else comment on that.

Richard Pryor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by trader
If you don't need it in 2 days and can wait 2 weeks I would try these

In black:
http://www.shoes.shoppingsection.co....Category_Code=

and

http://www.shoes.shoppingsection.co....Category_Code=

pics don't do them justice. do a search on here and find real life photos

Can't wait 2 weeks, unfortunately. I'm also a size 12.5 (US), and it said on that page that they carry up to 12. I'm assuming that's UK sizes?

What about my question regarding AE Park Avenue vs Alden for $100 difference? Is it worth it to buy the AE at retail just to save $100?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well you could go for the AE 5th avenue, which is currently on sale I believe. And go through pediwear and get some C&Js... just expedite the shipping.

By no means would I ever suggest getting those Bruno Maglis. Those look (and are) atrocious.

trader

Reaction score
^ Ya that's UK size so 11.5E would most likely work for you. But from what I've heard the 348 last doesn't look so great on a big foot since its so elongated. Not sure about the 337 Belgrave.

I would buy neither AE or Alden at retail. Hmm, not sure what else you can do with only a 2 day window. If you tell us where you live someone might have some suggestions.

Richard Pryor

Reaction score
I live in Puerto Rico, and no local store carries either AE, Alden or any other of the brands.

I could just go with the Cap toes, and wear them back to back days. They might be a little too formal for the rehearsal dinner, but no biggie I guess.

Regarding Aldens at retail, I thought they never went on sale?

amftx

Reaction score
I'm not sure why Magli gets such a bad rap around here. I love my Maioco and Nordstrom said they'll recondition/resole them whenever I'm ready. I put an AE on one foot and the Magli on the other and walked about 20 paces. Magli was like a foot **, the AE clearly needed some break in and was a bit stiff and uncomfortable compared to the Magli out of the box.

I own both. I'm wearing my AE's right now and love them. But Magli is a good shoe. It's not a Lobb or Green or G&G but for us normal joes here in the US those exotic options are often limited, and pricey. I suggest trying them all on before you make a decision.

Also look into Magnanni for a great fit and value.

Allen Edmonds is having a decent sale right now. Check their website for the prices but almost everything is 20-30% off.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^
Magli is Ok on deep/deep sale: I've had some bad experiences with soles getting unglued etc after just a week of wear. Not recommended, as a general rule due to iffy quality

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Richard Pryor
What about my question regarding AE Park Avenue vs Alden for $100 difference? Is it worth it to buy the AE at retail just to save $100?

Originally Posted by Newcomer
Well you could go for the AE 5th avenue, which is currently on sale I believe. And go through pediwear and get some C&Js... just expedite the shipping.

By no means would I ever suggest getting those Bruno Maglis. Those look (and are) atrocious.

Don't get the Maglis.

If you can get the Fifth Avenue on sale go with those. I think it's a better looking shoe than the PA (I own a pair of each).

It doesn't sound to me like you really have to have two pairs of shoes. Get PAs or 5thAs (or even the Alden), but I wouldn't rush into spending that kind of money on two pairs of shoes when you don't really have to and don't know much about shoes (as you indicated). Wearing them two days in a row won't hurt them, especially since it won't really be all day either time, anyway. Get some shoe trees.

Learn about shoes then buy your second pair later.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are you located?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads