• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NHL 2010-2011 Season

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedScarf7
Lol. The Winnipeg Jets have a better chance of winning the cup.
Go Flames.

This is some pretty ironic juxtaposition right here. And the award for "most embarassing offseason moves" goes to...

Originally Posted by baseball2429
this thread title is much better than the other hockey thread.

with that being said, GO DUCKS! I hope our team learns how to play defense this year. Losing Scotty sucks.

They'll probably trade for a new top 4 guy. Possible destination for Bieksa, maybe take a chance on Redden or just bite the bullet and overpay for Souray... there aren't that many guys out there for sale.

RedScarf7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
This is some pretty ironic juxtaposition right here. And the award for "most embarassing offseason moves" goes to...

I don't expect the flames to win the cup, but I think they have positioned themselves to be competitive for the top spot in the north-west division. I'm a fan of them bringing Tanguay and Jokinen back, especially at the price they got them at.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
They'll be lucky to make the playoffs. I give better odds on everything coming together in Edmonton than seeing the Flames somehow mesh as a team and not look like the mess they did last year. And it takes a special kind of homer to like those two signings after the years those guys are coming off of. Check their stats from last season. Tanguay played 80 games in the same top 6 as the rocket richard winner and got 10 goals and 37 points in a contract year. Yeah, that's something to look forward to. We have a guy on a pro tryout who's probably going to sign for league minimum who had a better year. As for Joker, there's only one word: "cancer".

RedScarf7

Reaction score
They'll be lucky to make the playoffs. I give better odds on everything coming together in Edmonton than seeing the Flames somehow mesh as a team and not look like the mess they did last year. And it takes a special kind of homer to like those two signings after the years those guys are coming off of. Check their stats from last season. Tanguay played 80 games in the same top 6 as the rocket richard winner and got 10 goals and 37 points in a contract year. Yeah, that's something to look forward to. We have a guy on a pro tryout who's probably going to sign for league minimum who had a better year. As for Joker, there's only one word: "cancer".

Both players had ****** years, but I don't think the last year was representative of either of their abilities. I have more hope for Tanguay given the chemistry he had with Iginla during his previous stint with the Flames. Hopefully their performance's will speak for themselves, time will tell!

Morrison could prove to be a great signing for the Canucks, but he has a lot to prove after three mediocre seasons.

I would be happy to make a friendly wager on whether or not the Flames make the playoffs if you are at all interested.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Jokinen and Tanguay's abilities at this point make them potentially 50-60 point guys. Iginla is a ppg guy though he wasn't last year. After those three there isn't much there. Relying on Hagman, Stajan and Bourque is not a recipe for offensive success and the D isn't even as good as last year. I don't see how you can look at it as a big upgrade, and I definitely don't see how it could be a big enough upgrade to go from missing the playoffs to division champs.

I save my betting for hockey pools. Though if I knew you in person I'd probably take that.

aaronxxx

Reaction score
I think Edmonton will turn it around this year. I'm excited to see how they do after that whipping they gave vancouver

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aaronxxx
I think Edmonton will turn it around this year. I'm excited to see how they do after that whipping they gave vancouver

Turn it around? No way. They have at least like 3-4 seasons until they can consistently make the playoffs. They have to build now around Hall. He should get tonnes of PP time this season. Still, they will still be one of the 3 worst teams in the league.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Damn... I really don't like the decisions Canucks management has made this week. We let Morrison walk, despite his very good pre-season performance. Apparently we are icing a fourth line of Glass - Desbiens - Bolduc. And the Panthers just waived Michael Grabner (who we traded, effectively, for Keith Ballard) and we haven't picked him up - though I imagine another team might before we could anyway. Our opening night roster looks like this -

Sedin Sedin Samuelsson
Raymond Kesler Torres
Tambellini Malhotra Hansen
Glass Desbiens Bolduc

Hamhuis - Edler
Ballard - Erhoff
Alberts - Bieksa
Rome

Luongo
Schneider

Which is not at all impressive to me for a team surrounded by this much hype picked by so many media types to win the cup. What I want -

Sedin Sedin Samuelsson
Raymond Kesler Grabner
Torres Malhotra Tambellini
Glass Morrison Hansen

Why is that so difficult Gillis? MAKE IT HAPPEN. I am now the Canucks GM.

incastoutcast

Reaction score
I don't really see the Canucks going that far this season - wasn't all that impressed with them last season, and have been sadly underwhelmed by Luongo (was it a good year for any goalie last year? I mean, Halak had his 15 minutes, but...)

That said, I think they'll beat the Hawks. I really don't see the shuffle around there turning out nicely. Don't even know if they'll make it far enough into playoffs to play the Canucks.

This year, I pull for Washington. They're just too damned much fun to watch.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Washington is such a lose lose lose draft draft draft win team though, and I hate that model. Pit did it, won a cup, Chicago did it, won a cup. The Oilers are the next ones to pull that crap. It's why you have to respect the red wings.

Thing about Van is the regular season is almost a fait accompli - I don't see anyone else challenging for the NW division so they'll probably be top 2-3 in the west. It's the playoffs that remain the question, and who KNOWS what the team looks like by then with injuries, trade deadline, and players falling back to the Moose. Luongo has had 2 years in a row where he has absolutely crushed our first round opponents and then played mediocre in the 2nd round. At least the D should be better - again, depending on injuries.

Here's my fantasy team - 18 entrants, and I drafted 17th. Pretty horrendous. Had to go with a risk - reward model. All my picks still beat their TSN projections except my first one and I didn't want to take a flyer on Gaborik not getting hurt.

1. Alexander Semin (17th overall - TSN Projects 19th)
2. Corey Perry (19th overall - TSN Projects 15th)
3. Daniel Alfredsson (53rd overall - TSN Projects 41st)
4. Tim Connolly (55th overall - TSN Projects 53rd)
5. Dustin Penner (89th overall - TSN Projects 77th)
6. Brian Gionta (91st overall - TSN Projects 89th)
7. Tyler Bozak (146th overall - TSN Projects 111th)
8. Jamie Benn (148th overall - TSN Projects 115th)
9. Blake Wheeler (182nd overall - TSN Projects 167th)
10. Josh Bailey (184th overall - TSN Projects 173rd)

A lot of those guys are "wait and see if they pan out" picks, especially the last 4 who could have big years or could stop at 40 pts apiece. Also, unbeknownst to me when I picked Bailey, Burrows went undrafted the whole poll. Savard got picked like 200th. Would've been great risk picks.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Calgary needs to score more PP goals, period.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can't judge anything by the preseason on the ice. Off it, i'm disappointed Sather sent Macdonaugh to Hartford, we need a defenseman that can hit like him up here, and he's young enough to be molded into an NHLer by the likes of Staal and Girardi and even Del Zotto. I hope Gilroy makes the team too, I wish we could get rid of Rozival. I'd love to see:

Staal/Delzotto
Girardi/Macdonaugh
Gilroy/Eminger

ooks like we'll be pretty week in front of Hank again though.

Up front if Stepan doesn't make the squad I'm giving up my season tickets (oops, already did that). But there are a lot of tough choices here:

Artem Anisimov, Sean Avery, Derek Boogaard, Brian Boyle, Ryan Callahan, Erik Christensen, Chris Drury, Brandon Dubinsky, Ruslan Fedotenko, Alex Frolov, Marian Gaborik, Tim Kennedy, Vinny Prospal, Brandon Prust, Derek Stepan, Todd White

I think the first three to go are going to be Boyle, Prust, and White followed by Christensen and Kennedy, unless we decide to keep a few extra fwds...its a shame because Boyle has such GREAT size, but doesn't use it, and Prust was a huge key to out late season success last year. I really do like Kennedy's potential as well as Christensen's speed and finesse. We'll just have to wait and see.

Looks like another long winter in NY

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Looks like another long winter in NY

Well, at least you have a goalie.
plain.gif

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As the 'nucks last year after Mitchell got hurt would indicate, without a defense it doesn't matter if your goalie's any good.

This is true. While I'm not so worried about the Flyers defense, but goaltending still remains an issue. So, we will just have to wait and see what happens.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads