• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty's random dog thread.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Best advice I can give is - don't rush and double check everything. You will have this dog for a long time.

lefty

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Best advice I can give is - don't rush and double check everything. You will have this dog for a long time. lefty
Thanks for the advice & I definitely agree. I want to make sure I'm getting a good dog.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
I found a breeder in Florida that has puppies...If it turns out to be a reputable place this little guy will hopefully be mine
smile.gif

IMG_0320.jpg

Great looking dog. Good Luck!

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That would be extremely generous of you. The ad said they are located in Central West Coast Florida so I'm guessing Tampa region.
If its Tampa then that's out of my range. If you find out the exact location, and its farther South, let me know.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One very dog-wise pal of mine thinks 3 1/2 to 4 months is the optimum age to take a puppy, which of course eliminates most of the "puppy cute" phase, especially in large-breed dogs. His opinion is that the dog learns a lot from his mother and through interaction with his littermates.

One friend of mine got a 4 1/2-month-old Tosa puppy, and he turned out to be a wonderful dog. He stayed with us a couple of times as a youngster (ca. 10 months or so) and he couldn't have been sweeter or better behaved. A lot of pups placed when they're six or seven months old turn out to be great dogs.

I don't know how this "seven weeks or spoiled goods" view of puppy buying ever arose. Many dog-wise friends of mine are vehemently opposed to it.

My first Tosa, Zuma, came to me when he was 3 1/2 months old. He was always somewhat shy, but I am sure it was the genetic shyness found in many highly bred fighting dogs.

Of my other Tosas acquired as pups, Jessie was 12 weeks, Dempsey was 10.5 weeks, and Cyrus was 11.5 weeks. All turned out to be good dogs.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
If its Tampa then that's out of my range. If you find out the exact location, and its farther South, let me know.

The exact location is Palmetto. Is that in the right direction?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
One very dog-wise pal of mine thinks 3 1/2 to 4 months is the optimum age to take a puppy, which of course eliminates most of the "puppy cute" phase, especially in large-breed dogs. His opinion is that the dog learns a lot from his mother and through interaction with his littermates.

One friend of mine got a 4 1/2-month-old Tosa puppy, and he turned out to be a wonderful dog. He stayed with us a couple of times as a youngster (ca. 10 months or so) and he couldn't have been sweeter or better behaved. A lot of pups placed when they're six or seven months old turn out to be great dogs.

I don't know how this "seven weeks or spoiled goods" view of puppy buying ever arose. Many dog-wise friends of mine are vehemently opposed to it.

My first Tosa, Zuma, came to me when he was 3 1/2 months old. He was always somewhat shy, but I am sure it was the genetic shyness found in many highly bred fighting dogs.

Of my other Tosas acquired as pups, Jessie was 12 weeks, Dempsey was 10.5 weeks, and Cyrus was 11.5 weeks. All turned out to be good dogs.

My best dog was picked up at 12 weeks. I have seen screwed up dogs that were taken at 5-6 weeks.

lefty

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The exact location is Palmetto. Is that in the right direction?
Its about 3 to 4 hours away on the other coast of the state. You'd probably be able to make it down there before I could.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Its about 3 to 4 hours away on the other coast of the state. You'd probably be able to make it down there before I could.

Haha it was worth a shot. I appreciate the offer nonetheless.

ItzJimmy

Reaction score
Lefty,
what do you think about a boston terrier or enlgish mastiff for apartment living in NYC? any problems with those breeds to look out for?

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ItzJimmy
Lefty,
what do you think about a boston terrier or enlgish mastiff for apartment living in NYC? any problems with those breeds to look out for?

Not lefty, but I have a friend with a BT in a NYC apartment. The dog kinda sucks, though most BTs that I have met have been pretty cool. I suspect this one could have been socialized a bit more as a puppy and could do with some additional exercise. Also, I was not too impressed with his breeder. At any rate, the breed should do fine in an apartment. Seems odd to be cross shopping them with Mastiffs, though.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The breeder I got my dog from did not give out gods before 8 weeks. He did not even handle them before 8 weeks as he felt the mother and pack mates did a better job of it then he could and the weak would be weeded out by then. I got mine at just around 16 weeks and she is solid as can be and had ZERO trouble bonding totally with me and the family.

I was BSing via e-mail a few weeks ago with the breeder and he said pretty much all dog problems are a result of ****** owners putting their own neurosis into their dogs.
I could not agree more. People have so many expectations about how they want their dog to act or how it "should" act that they forget that it's still a dog.

One example that drives me nuts is the second a dog really gets into something and starts to make the play/ excited/ happy/ rough growl noises that dogs do their owners start freaking out and yelling "no! no! bad Fluffy, be nice."

All I can think is for ***** sake, let your dog have a moment to enjoy its self. A Lab and a Beagle aren't going to kill each other, let them work it out and have a little fun.

The dog is doing what is totally natural and harmless for it to do and you start yelling, hence the neurosis.

ItzJimmy

Reaction score
Dcg,
I always wanted a large, laid back breed. But i understand apartment life won't give me endless options as far as breeds with a full time work schedule.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads