• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

dv_indian

Reaction score
I wear a size 34 jeans and I am wondering if a size 34 trouser in Brooks Brothers would fit me or not. Is Brooks Brothers' trouser waist size true to size or is it a vanity size with a couple of extra inches thrown in?

Yika

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dv_indian
I wear a size 34 jeans and I am wondering if a size 34 trouser in Brooks Brothers would fit me or not. Is Brooks Brothers' trouser waist size true to size or is it a vanity size with a couple of extra inches thrown in?

My bb trouser fit tts. However, in my experience, i wouldn't take jean sizes for granted as denim tend to be more forgiving as it stretches more.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pandamonium
I recently purchased a Saks lambswool sweater from my local thrift store - I washed and dried it, but it feels unusually dry and coarse to the touch. The wool hasn't matted (felted): is there any way to restore the sort of plushness new lambswool items have?

Use Downy and/or regular hair conditioner.

AnnSOS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay
Two questions...

What is a good source for over-the-calf socks in different colors and patterns for wearing with jeans and khakis? Most places only have them in very basic colors.

Where can I get sports shirts for the fall in neck/sleeve length sizes? Most sites sell these shirts in S-XL (e.g. BB, Lands End), but I don't want to have to pay to have the sleeves tailored. I'm particularly interested in some casual flannel shirts or something.

I love these paisley socks that Perdog recommended last month: http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...4&ci_sku=N0PPG

Timmbo

Reaction score
I have a lovely Harris tweed jacket that I received as a gift. It looks great in the winter when I've got some thick layers underneath, e.g. an undershirt, a shirt, and then a thick jumper, if a bit oversized. However, I'd also quite like it fit well without having to wear so many layers. I should probably elaborate, that it is a little too wide in the shoulders, and little too big around the waist.

My question is, would it be a good idea to get this altered at a local 'alteration' service? I live in Edinburgh, but I do not know of any tailors per se, only places that offer alterations. It's a great jacket, and since it's a gift I would feel even worse if it got ruined by someone who doesn't know what they are doing. I couldn't find any recommendations/reviews of tailors here in Edinburgh. Any advice would be great.

srendam

Reaction score
Hi guys is taking in the rise of the back of trousers something a tailor would be able to do?

bluebonnet

Reaction score
What does B and C means for Peal & Co. shoe made for Brooks Brother?

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do the letters in trouser for sale ads mean? W, T, K, R, LO etc.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With a navy suit, would snuff suede shoes look better or dark brown suede. Please keep in mind that I am a conservative dresser. I am looking for a low key look rather than a flamboyant one

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
With a navy suit, would snuff suede shoes look better or dark brown suede.

Please keep in mind that I am a conservative dresser. I am looking for a low key look rather than a flamboyant one

Both will do. The dark brown is a bit safer for your wishes, but I don't think the snuff will be flamboyant. (From these two I like the snuff better.)

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is 2" of extra space at the end of the toe of a dress shoe too much?

I just got some new dress shoes in the mail with kind of a tapered toe, and i'm not sure if they're too long or not. I would take a photograph, but i currently dont have a camera apart from my cellphone, this is the stock image of the shoe

43949669.jpg

the size is 9UK, and they dont feel tight in the toe area. should I send them back in exchange for an 8.5UK?

thanks for any help

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads