• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does alcohol ever go off? Also, recommend me some core spirits for a liquor cabinet?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
What would be your pick for a budget rum?

Pampero Anniversario for sipping. Really nice for around $35. Haven't had it in about 2 years but **** me is it good. Guess I should pick up another bottle soon.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Pampero Anniversario for sipping. Really nice for around $35. Haven't had it in about 2 years but **** me is it good. Guess I should pick up another bottle soon.

35 usd is hardly a price for a budget rum...

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^It is for people on this board.

Try Kraken. $20 where I am, and not too shabby a spirit. If you want lower then that, I'm afraid that your options are probably limited to Admiral Nelson. And that would be ill advised.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
35 usd is hardly a price for a budget rum...

True, I suppose. I've bought many rums and other spirits that were much more than $35...

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
I burned out on Captain Morgan years ago too, and I was born in 89 haha

I started drinking in '89, and I call that 'a few years ago'

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
^It is for people on this board.

Try Kraken. $20 where I am, and not too shabby a spirit. If you want lower then that, I'm afraid that your options are probably limited to Admiral Nelson. And that would be ill advised.

not really... you have a decent amount of rums that are very good for less than 20 usd. ed 5 abuelo 7, barbancourt, diplomatico ocmare.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True, I suppose. I've bought many rums and other spirits that were much more than $35...
so have msot people probably but a budget rum would be soemthing like ocumare or ED 5

coop86

Reaction score
Also, Sailor Jerry's is a nice alternative to Captain Morgan if you want to reminisce about HS/college drinking. Slightly better tasting and higher proof.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not really... you have a decent amount of rums that are very good for less than 20 usd. ed 5 abuelo 7, barbancourt, diplomatico ocmare.

Barbancourt Five Star is a good recommendation.

Originally Posted by cptjeff

Kraken is spiced.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I still burn in envy about the Zacapa (XO?) you snagged. Could not find it in Cancun at all, and what there is stateside is under glass.
frown.gif

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I still burn in envy about the Zacapa (XO?) you snagged. Could not find it in Cancun at all, and what there is stateside is under glass.
frown.gif

la europea has store in cancun i think. but anyway you can get zacapa xo for 50 usd in the us.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
frown.gif

Ed found a much more rare Zacapa Cask Strength which was bottled pre-Diageo only for duty free in Guatemala, I think. I also really, really want a bottle or three. Standing order Ed.
laugh.gif

la europea has store in cancun i think. but anyway you can get zacapa xo for 50 usd in the us.

Zacapa XO is phenomenal and available for give or take $50.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

We went there twice and picked up a fair amount of supplies, but they were sold out of all Zacapa. Really liked the store, though.

Originally Posted by ama
Ed found a much more rare Zacapa Cask Strength which was bottled pre-Diageo only for duty free in Guatemala, I think. I also really, really want a bottle or three. Standing order Ed.
laugh.gif

Zacapa XO is phenomenal and available for give or take $50.

Hmmm, it was closer to $100 at my local enabler. I found it on the interwebz for $50 but really, really, REALLY don't want to start that process going.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, it was closer to $100 at my local enabler. I found it on the interwebz for $50 but really, really, REALLY don't want to start that process going.

As you can see though, sometimes it is much cheaper than shopping at the local.
devil.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
As you can see though, sometimes it is much cheaper than shopping at the local.
devil.gif

yeah, the same is true with perfumes/colognes and now I have a herd of the damn stuff!

Actually, I have a herd of bourbon as well, so there's not much point to the above statement in the first place.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads