• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit details for hot climates and comfort?

StrayPants

Reaction score
Will soon get some suits made for work in Hong Kong and would like recommendations on the following:

• What weight of material?
  • Jacket - fully, partial or unlined?
  • Pants - lined, and to what extent? Will lined keep be cooler or hotter?
  • What type of jacket vent? Not sure it really matters when it comes to comfort.
Basic plan is for a two button suit jacket with single pleated pants.

Recommendations and suggestions are welcomed.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StrayPants
Will soon get some suits made for work in Hong Kong and would like recommendations on the following:

• What type of jacket vent? Not sure it really matters when it comes to comfort.

8 oz wool.

Unlined.

Depending on how much you sweat, unlined. I get mine in 8oz wool lined only in the front to the shin. For some reason I get sweaty knees that would soak right through. Bemberg lining breathes and keeps the sweat from bleeding.

Side vents, as always.

HEARTLESS-531

Reaction score
Dang, now that's what I'm talking about. A non-smart ass answer! This place is getting better.

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
I would recommend seersucker as the best option but I don't know how acceptable that is in Hong Kong.

pitboss12

Reaction score
Check the postings by PhatGuido. He's routinely in areas of high humidity (HK, SIN, etc.) and has mentioned the specifics of his bespoke suiting but not his tailor.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StrayPants

Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
8 oz wool.

Unlined.

Depending on how much you sweat, unlined. I get mine in 8oz wool lined only in the front to the shin. For some reason I get sweaty knees that would soak right through. Bemberg lining breathes and keeps the sweat from bleeding.

Side vents, as always.

patrick has it right but I'll add 2 things:

Get your jacket quarter lined - the lining in the shoulder will help deter heat on our shoulders from direct sunlight, but the back being open will still allow airflow through. Also, pay attention to the lining - bremberg or even cotton, something breathable. Also, functional buttons on the sleeve will give you a bit more breathability, regardless of sprezz factor.

Also, if you have a propensity to sweat like I do, make sure that your jacket has little pads of material in the armpits on the inside. They are to protect your jacket's pits from sweat and can even be switched out if you sweat in the them a lot. You'd rather have them and not need them than without and stains.

krakatoa

Reaction score
Remember that much or most of your time in Hong Kong will be spent in air conditioned environments (at least, I hope that's the case!). I also live in SE Asia and am very comfortable at work in half-lined suits made of four season cloth, although I admittedly don't walk around outside too much in office wear. I would not recommend seersucker, however - it will look out of place.

StrayPants

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Another New Yorker
I would recommend seersucker as the best option but I don't know how acceptable that is in Hong Kong.

Yes, seersucker would look out of place in Hong Kong.

StrayPants

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Annadale
Where are you getting it done in Hong Kong?

Not sure at this time. Posted another question about other tailors to use in Hong Kong. Will decide after reading the posts.

Will most likely go to Bangkok to a small shop I have used before. He has a good selection of high quality materials and does a pretty good job on the suit. Also, considering WW Chan based on what I have read on here, although his price may be two to three times as much as the place in Bangkok.

StrayPants

Reaction score
Thank you for all the comments!

Originally Posted by krakatoa
Remember that much or most of your time in Hong Kong will be spent in air conditioned environments (at least, I hope that's the case!). I also live in SE Asia and am very comfortable at work in half-lined suits made of four season cloth, although I admittedly don't walk around outside too much in office wear. I would not recommend seersucker, however - it will look out of place.

Very true, will be inside most of the time, but when I do step outside for a short walk or to get a cab on a hot humid day it's a matter of seconds before the heat becomes too much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads