• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I'm told that this guy...

ctc_01_img0068.jpg

...is a miner from the Outback.

What are his weaknesses in a fist fight?

Thank you.

- B

Thats Rob - New York Ranger - down here last holidays. Plucky little tryer in a fight but as you can see he tangled with an Australasian granny and we sent him back with a bung eye.

IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
euroshoes.com.au
Luisa

Direct from Italy
Massive 5 Day Sale

Ladies & Mens Shoes, Handbags & Accessories
Shoe Sale

GUCCI - BALENCIAGA - PRADA - MIU MIU - CHLOE - UNGARO - DOLCE & GABBANA
SERGIO ROSSI - CAR SHOES - CHRISTIAN DIOR - MARC JACOBS - COSTUME NATIONAL VERSUS - BALLIN- MORESCHI - ANTONIO MAURIZI - FENDI - JP TOD'S - TESTONI
10am - 9pm \tFriday \t1st Oct 2010
10am - 8pm \tSaturday \t2nd Oct 2010
10am - 8pm \tSunday \t3rd Oct 2010
10am - 4pm \tMonday \t4th Oct 2010
10am - 4pm \tTuesday \t5th Oct 2010

Hilton Hotel Level 4, 488 George St, Sydney

Star

Reaction score
Any ideas where to get a white summer blazer in linen in Sydney?

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
I have been having trouble finding stuff locally. All my chinos were pleated and wide thighed. I've given them away or kept them for slobbing in garden. I know roughly what I want. Flat front, slim without being tights, no low rise, around 9" opening, 10" at knee and in some good colours - even if tan, olive, off white etc - maybe some rust ones , light brown - I can't find anything local. Same with moleskins - I don't want to look like a squatter or private school boy on rural work experience but some sensible moleskins would be alright. And some twill/ thicker material - name escapes me now. Any places in Melb that sell such stuff?
I just received 5 pairs from Peter Christian- perfect - taken up a bit. Any one after 8 pairs of 34 -36 chinos with one or two pleats in good nick? And perhaps one pair of Peter Christian moleskins Loden colour? worn twice nice except its not really in my palate

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe
I just did one this morning, up a big bloody mountain.

Not much to tell really, go for a walk one way, get back to nature then come back again. It was fantastic. We're easily pleased.

Melbourne boys I'll be down there next weekend with my girl and I need to know where I should be shopping in the city? We're staying in St Kilda (luckily booked accom before the GF was drawn) but will be in the city a fair bit.

Walk up and down Collins and drop into shops - all there. DJs are in Burke. Myers isnt worth the effort. S&V for shirts down in Docklands desert. Check out Strickland and Sons - was in Burke - dunno now. Captains of Industry has coffee, hairdresser, tailor, shoemaker.

American Tailors is worth a squiz on Burke. Good bar upstairs over the road and down a bit. Have coffee at Pelligrinis - best place in Melbourne for coffee - not best coffee. Tailor and shirt maker down lanes near Pelligrinis. Hill of Content bookshop. Paper Back Bookshop late at night, then upstairs to Supper Club after 11pm for port. Laneway Cafe is great for a drink and lunch.

Take the GF through Block Arcade and afternoon tea at Teahouse in arcade - Basement Discs - in basement off Lane is one of best music shops in Oz.

walk the lanes and bars and coffee shops but then if yr not from melb you wont know anything is there.

chilli prawns at Dainty cafe (?) in Chinatown, or upstairs to the famous place late at night - cant remember name, dumplings at Shanghai dumplings up lane, or sit down nice meal at my favourite = Post Mao Restaurant in China town. For Indian I can recommend Red Pepper on Burke.

Henry Bucks - overpriced but worth a look.

Best sports pants and sportsjackets ? PM me for sekret shop - not in conservative business dress but not far away

edit: aaah what the hell = Its Bonapartes in Carlton- only decent thing in Lygon street - fer g'dsake dont eat in Lygon. Coffee at Universita Cafe is the only one. Readings bookshop is ok but pretentious correct line hippies. actually Tiama down near Readings is ok for coffee and a snack.

Shoes - McClouds down on William I think???

forgot Little Collins - or is it Little Flinders? - if yr into trendy clothes. Hairy Canary is still an ok bar despite popularity and Hairy Sista is better

edit2: I’m not a boy- I’m a man - the boys here might have different advice.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Star
Any ideas where to get a white summer blazer in linen in Sydney?

I have a cream 42 DB if you want it PM me.

LTM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
I just received 5 pairs from Peter Christian- perfect - taken up a bit. Any one after 8 pairs of 34 -36 chinos with one or two pleats in good nick? And perhaps one pair of Peter Christian moleskins Loden colour? worn twice nice except its not really in my palate

fxh, could you say more about the Peter Christian moleskins? How would they compare with the RMW for instance? I have been wondering about them but you do come across some fairly lightweight ones and I am looking for the heavier kind.
cheers

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LTM
fxh, could you say more about the Peter Christian moleskins? How would they compare with the RMW for instance? I have been wondering about them but you do come across some fairly lightweight ones and I am looking for the heavier kind.
cheers

Its years since I had RM Moleskins or even felt them - (no smutty jokes about getting felt please) - my memory suggests that these Peter Christians are the soft type.

They feel very soft to me - I remember old moleskins being very tough and good at resisting barbed wire as you climber through a fence. These PC are more effete english soft - even feel a bit luxurious. I don't know what RMs are up to now with moleskins.

edit: I think I might have a cheap pair of Rivers white sort of moleskins somewhere.

I'd say the PCs are thick and very soft (no jokes about just like the English please) and like I imagine a mole's skin - I've never seen a moles skin - (except for one old girlfriend - boom tish) -- they aren't tough old work moleskins - if thats what you are after. I don't know if they would toughen up after washing a bit - anyway except for the colour, an olive-y, green which I don't know what to pair it with, they are what I wanted - for me its not for any rough outside work or nuffin. The roughest it will get with them on for me is sitting on a cafe chair, outside on a cool sunny spring day, in Melbourne, sipping a machiatta, reading the paper, and wishing I still smoked.

LTM

Reaction score
Cheers fxh, thanks for sharing that info. It is the thicker variety I am looking for and I'll be putting them to similar use. How was the fit btw? waist size accurate or 'vanity'?

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts?
Originally Posted by chestercopperpot
A year or so ago, I purchased a custom Thom Browne suit from 100 Hudson. It's a beautiful Fall suit that's made from scottish shetland wool made by Rocco in Long Island City. I wore it twice and have since had some serious financial needs and have been selling all my clothing. My size is roughly a TB/2 TB/1 So take the measurements for what they are. SOLD
IMG_0933.jpg
IMG_0932.jpg
IMG_0930.jpg
IMG_0934.jpg
IMG_0935.jpg
IMG_0927.jpg
IMG_0926.jpg

__PG__

Reaction score
Just out of interest, what sort of pants do you guys wear with sportscoats (besides jeans?) My wife says she'll divorce me if I wear chinos. Navy sportscoats + chinos + boat shoes = grounds for divorce in her opinion. Plus, its a very cliched 'trad' look that may not be appropriate for a cool mid-30's guy like me trying to get in touch with his European roots
wink.gif
I see lots of good sports coats around but I'm always wondering what sort of trousers to match them with. What do Alan Flusser et al. suggest?

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
Just out of interest, what sort of pants do you guys wear with sportscoats (besides jeans?)

My wife says she'll divorce me if I wear chinos. Navy sportscoats + chinos + boat shoes = grounds for divorce in her opinion. Plus, its a very cliched 'trad' look that may not be appropriate for a cool mid-30's guy like me trying to get in touch with his European roots
wink.gif

I see lots of good sports coats around but I'm always wondering what sort of trousers to match them with.

I find jeans the hardest of all to match with a top - The only thing I'm really comfortable with is a moleskin, brown jacket i have or my leather jacket. I'll never wear a tie with jeans and I reckon you have to be careful the shirt isn't too much like a business shirt with open collar. I hate short sleeve anything. Jeans are hard to pair.

I've got about 10 sportscoats. Its mostly what I wear to work. I like to think it works here in Oz. Sportcoats have a slightly different meaning here than they do in UK or USA I think, due to the European or mainly Italian influence, which has given the SC a more business role.. They are not seen as tweedy and country as in UK or quite like the uniform of Navy blazer and grey pants in USA. They will carry through a variety of environments in a day. The most annoying thing is that many women refer to them as a "suit"

I might be wrong though.

Today - because its cold I 've got on my Magee Donegal Tweed jacket, olivey, grey green moleskins, mohogany chukkas and a subdued tie - I just got asked "Where are the leather elbow patches and exam papers to mark". Mind you the guy asking has on a V necked jumper .....

Mostly wool -pants with SCs- shades of grey. Some brown. Navy pants is harder than you think to pair with jackets. In summer I have cotton pants - grey, navy ( plain and stripes) , brown.

As per earlier post I just got 4 pair of chinos from Peter Christian, mustard, off white, brick, etc.

The navy reefer, chinos and boat shoes is very tradly usa although a few of the old skool mod era guys in UK do aversion. But it has a particular context in UK we don't have here. Think Paul Weller and The Jam, early Who.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LTM
Cheers fxh, thanks for sharing that info. It is the thicker variety I am looking for and I'll be putting them to similar use. How was the fit btw? waist size accurate or 'vanity'?

I'd say fit is accurate.

The PC moleskins I have, have about 1" to 1.5" you could let out at back waist. They have at least 2" spare on cuff opening - you could make 4" iGent cuffs if you so desired. They are high rise compared to most pants these days, but truthfully probably medium rise.

Interestingly they have what I think they call their "comfort waist" which on a USA garment would make one pause, however it works well - its a piece of elastic on either side of waist that is well hidden but essentially functions like a side button tab/cinch like old time pants. It gives at least 1.5' stretch so that for me I wear a size 34" everywhere but waist where I'm 35". The 34" fits fine.

(there is also a similar, less well made, waist on a Rivers pair of moleskins I have - its a great thing)

Cuff opening is around 9" - knee 10" and thigh nice and trim unlike USA pants that billow at the thigh.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
I find jeans the hardest of all to match with a top - The only thing I'm really comfortable with is a moleskin, brown jacket i have or my leather jacket. I'll never wear a tie with jeans and I reckon you have to be careful the shirt isn't too much like a business shirt with open collar. I hate short sleeve anything. Jeans are hard to pair.

I've got about 10 sportscoats. Its mostly what I wear to work. I like to think it works here in Oz. Sportcoats have a slightly different meaning here than they do in UK or USA I think, due to the European or mainly Italian influence, which has given the SC a more business role.. They are not seen as tweedy and country as in UK or quite like the uniform of Navy blazer and grey pants in USA. They will carry through a variety of environments in a day. The most annoying thing is that many women refer to them as a "suit"

I might be wrong though.

Today - because its cold I 've got on my Magee Donegal Tweed jacket, olivey, grey green moleskins, mohogany chukkas and a subdued tie - I just got asked "Where are the leather elbow patches and exam papers to mark". Mind you the guy asking has on a V necked jumper .....

Mostly wool -pants with SCs- shades of grey. Some brown. Navy pants is harder than you think to pair with jackets. In summer I have cotton pants - grey, navy ( plain and stripes) , brown.

As per earlier post I just got 4 pair of chinos from Peter Christian, mustard, off white, brick, etc.

The navy reefer, chinos and boat shoes is very tradly usa although a few of the old skool mod era guys in UK do aversion. But it has a particular context in UK we don't have here. Think Paul Weller and The Jam, early Who.

I often wear my navy sportcoat (with brown horn buttons) with my jeans and my chelsea boots. Looks quite nice, I think. Certainly my wife thinks so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads