• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

poissa

Reaction score
I also have the same questions about the pants. Lastly - what matches with these pants? Uploaded with ImageShack.us

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poissa
I also have the same questions about the pants. Lastly - what matches with these pants?

Shoes.

wetnose

Reaction score
I'm taking the following to the tailor. What do I need to tell the tailor to ensure we are on the same page. I thought the shirt fits, perhaps the sleeves are too long. Does the shirt need to be taken in? Same with the yoke. Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Is the shirt brand new or have you washed it a few times already? The tailor can trim it by 1" (maybe more if you like it super slim) on both sides to reduce the bagginess. IMO, it's a little bit big on the shoulders but not noticeably big. Don't fix it. From the pic above, the sleeve length is fine - don't change it. Nice color and flattering to your complexion - good choice.

wetnose

Reaction score
I also have the same questions about the pants. Lastly - what matches with these pants?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Given that's it's brown - thus more casual, perhaps a brown monk or a tan suede blucher. Also length really needs trimming.

Yika

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newstyle
So I need help deciding on a pair of boots. I'm looking for a lace up brown "work" boot style. Right now I am looking at the Alden 405's and the Red Wing Beckman Moc Toe, but I can't decide what will be more versatile. I found the Alden's online for $319 shipped and the Red Wing's will look to be just under $300. I'm on a pretty strict budget and shouldn't be buying either but I'm going to.

My concern is the Red Wing's look very chunky while the Indy's look a little less and more refined. Neither will be used for work. I'm a 28yr college student (no job) so I want to make the best decision and feel happy about it.

I wear a lot of sport coats and dark jeans and dark chino's, patterened shirts, cardigans and knit ties. J. Crew style if this helps.

Any suggestions or experience with either would be much appreciated. Thanks

Would go with Alden in your case.

cardguy

Reaction score
My Brooks Brothers OCBD did this. Normal for the material to bleed like that?

scxh5u.jpg

enarchay

Reaction score
Two questions...

What is a good source for over-the-calf socks in different colors and patterns for wearing with jeans and khakis? Most places only have them in very basic colors.

Where can I get sports shirts for the fall in neck/sleeve length sizes? Most sites sell these shirts in S-XL (e.g. BB, Lands End), but I don't want to have to pay to have the sleeves tailored. I'm particularly interested in some casual flannel shirts or something.

Yika

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay
Two questions...

What is a good source for over-the-calf socks in different colors and patterns for wearing with jeans and khakis? Most places only have them in very basic colors.

Where can I get sports shirts for the fall in neck/sleeve length sizes? Most sites sell these shirts in S-XL (e.g. BB, Lands End), but I don't want to have to pay to have the sleeves tailored. I'm particularly interested in some casual flannel shirts or something.

Viccel.com seem to have some nice colours. No patterns around yet.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
That's what a white pocket square traditionally is...
Any one who buys a special, expensive white pocket square deserves to be fleeced. White cotton is simple and classic.

what I meant is that you might find a hanky in the underwear, socks, etc section, but if you go in asking for a pocket square they may just say they don't have one.

Originally Posted by antalion
I'm going to be wearing a pretty standard navy suit with very subtle plaid to a wedding next month along with a white shirt. Since the weather figures to be on the cold side, and because I've never really worn one, I was thinking about a sweater vest as well. I'll probably be wearing a pale green tie of some sort, depends on what I find between now and then, but I don't even know where to start with the sweater, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
if it's an indoor wedding you might get pretty hot in that, especially if dancing. Outdoor will be good for that especially in the evening, plus you'll take your jacket off to give it to your shivering date. I think a sweater vest might also be a little casual for a wedding. Somehow just a regular mismatched vest to make a 3 piece would seem more formal and keep you warm.

Originally Posted by Bam!ChairDance
Hi folks. A sportcoat I bought online arrived yesterday and, when I tried it on, I noticed the single vent splits a bit in the back :-(
So, I'm hoping my tailor can determine whether there is enough fabric to let out at the hips and, if there is enough, fix the split. Can/do tailors do this? Or would I be wasting my time?

Pretty understandable. Probably means you have hips/a butt, which is fine. Double vented might work better for you in future. I would think some can be let out at the waist to counter that. I find the single vent sort of useless, so if that happens I just have it sewn shut as an alternative. Much cheaper then opening up the jacket.

Purple's a nice color for you. Shirt is a decent fit. Sleeve length is fine, maybe even a little short. I would suggest avoiding double pleats on the back, even a single box pleat down the center might work, or have double darts instead. Shoulders might be a bit too wide too. and I'm not a fan of the pocket, especially because you wear your pants so high up. None of the above will be fixed by a tailor. Of what can be changed, maybe just slim down the sides more. Also, lose the crew neck undershirt and switch to a v-neck please.
The pants color and fit is generally good. They obviously need a hem though. Dark brown shoes would work best with those.

tasker

Reaction score
Hi i'm new to this site so thought i would use this thread to possibly get some information (not really in the know about fashion/style/fabrics) I'm going to Thailand and am going to be getting some suits made, i have had a browse at many suits and have found a few that i will get made (well replicated) Lets start with this suit (excuse the link to external sources) http://italiancart.com/giorgio-arman...12218-p-5.html http://italiancart.com/bmz_cache/1/1...ge.650x866.jpg Now it says on the site that the suit is
Men Suit in Gray, New with tags, Jacket monochest, 3 Buttons, Three pockets, Two internal jacket pockets, Lined interior, Pants, Zip and buttons, Four pockets, Composition: 90% Wool 10% Terylene.
Question How do i go about picking this exact material? Do i just browse through hundreds of thousands of materials, or do paterns/designs have a name to narrow down the hunt for fabric?

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Reaction score
Would it be completely wrong to pair this belt (Tanner Goods skinny):
28117_1.jpg
With these shoes (AE Park Avenues):
Allen%20Edmonds%20ParkAvenue%20shoe.jpg
...for a business casual look? I'm in a pinch for time, and having trouble finding a decent belt that's skinny enough to not look wacky on me (I'm short). Edit - I also found this belt (pictured below, AE polished belt) which is relatively skinny. Only problem is that it's polished; I'm not sure how good that will look. Does the AE belt pair better w/ the AE shoes?
41NVXWYF08L._AA300_.jpg

streetminimal

Reaction score
Spring/Summer is closing in here in Australia.

What type of fabric am I looking for in a summer suit? What colours would look good?

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aaaeeeiiiooouuu
Would it be completely wrong to pair this belt (Tanner Goods skinny):
28117_1.jpg
With these shoes (AE Park Avenues):
Allen%20Edmonds%20ParkAvenue%20shoe.jpg
...for a business casual look? I'm in a pinch for time, and having trouble finding a decent belt that's skinny enough to not look wacky on me (I'm short). Edit - I also found this belt (pictured below, AE polished belt) which is relatively skinny. Only problem is that it's polished; I'm not sure how good that will look. Does the AE belt pair better w/ the AE shoes?
41NVXWYF08L._AA300_.jpg

I think the belt is fine, but I would not wear those shoes for Business Casual. Too formal in my opinion.
Originally Posted by cardguy
My Brooks Brothers OCBD did this. Normal for the material to bleed like that?
scxh5u.jpg

Not normal. Return.
Originally Posted by enarchay
Two questions... What is a good source for over-the-calf socks in different colors and patterns for wearing with jeans and khakis? Most places only have them in very basic colors. Where can I get sports shirts for the fall in neck/sleeve length sizes? Most sites sell these shirts in S-XL (e.g. BB, Lands End), but I don't want to have to pay to have the sleeves tailored. I'm particularly interested in some casual flannel shirts or something.
Don't know about the socks, but I have the same problem with the shirts. The only solution I know if is to find a brand that fits well enough (for me it has been Gant Rugger), buy something too big and take it to a tailor as you suggested, or go the MTM route with My Tailor or some other internet operation that can make you a shirt.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by streetminimal
Spring/Summer is closing in here in Australia.

What type of fabric am I looking for in a summer suit? What colours would look good?

Fabric: cotton, linen, any combination thereof, fresco (hard to find OTR)

Color: navy, lighter blue, khaki/beige, light gray. Really depends on your skin tone. If you're fair-skinned, maybe a little reddish complexion I wouldn't go with beige for example.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads