• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Money Never Sleeps sartorial critique thread

Dressed2the9s

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shoeby Doo
Just got back from seeing this.

Not that great.

Gekko doesn't hit his sartorial stride till the very end.

I enjoyed it. I liked the progression and evolution of Gordon. From jail to the top of his game again. I loved the movie.

Jake played by Shia had that "great young trader" look. Always in crisp white shirts that perfectly framed his face. Different blue textures and patterns of his sport jackets and blazers and his custom fit suits were perfect for his frame.

Josh Brolin as the hedge fund manager was protrayed greatly as well. Again his wardrobe and stlye evolved throughout the story.

I feel the clothes were just as essential to the story as the dialogue and emotions around the characters themselves.

I loved the fact that Oliver Stone made the colors basic and not complex to bring more focus to the characters and not detract from the story.

I will definitely see this movie again and take notes in the style department.
smile.gif

Butter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great movie.

I can see where the critics would complain but at the end of the day it's a message that Oliver Stone wants to send so I respect that.

Dressed2the9s

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Not bad.

onsetofwallstreet2money.jpg

Shia was on point, especially the boardroom scene when he was pitching the energy company to the Asian buyers. Did anyone happen to notice what brand of tie he was wearing when he went to wash his hands after that scene? It had a blue label and thats all I was able to make out.

Again great movie and great business style for the post 80's big lapel, loud patterns style of Wall Street.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TonyThe Tailor
A guy just ordered one from me after seeing the movie last night... I have it from Dormeuil

Movie or not ,this jacket is just horrendous...

He looks like an extra from the Goodfellas,,,

costadelmar16

Reaction score
Did anyone notice the belt Shia was wearing with his jeans in a few scenes. It was really cool and ideas of the brand?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just saw the movie.

Liked it very little. The financial machinations & romance are loosely connected, and the leads don't have the charisma to make me care. The camerawork is busy-busy but inert.

None of the junior actors were so much to look at...my mind wandered to however they got to be headliners.

Douglas, Sarandon, Brolin and ancient Eli Wallach much better.

Beautiful clothes overall. Insanely luxurious suiting fabrics.

Even just out of prison, Gekko has a striped flannel coat that is perfectly pressed.

In the Fordham lecture scene, his camp collar shirt has no collar button, suggesting he's not quite 'in business' yet. His costume arc follows his character arc superbly.

They also know what to do with his shoulders. They slope a lot; when he's in shirtsleeves, as he in in the scene in his luxury rental apt with the framed tulpmania picture, the shoulders of his blue linen shirt are subtly padded. His suits have giant shoulders as well, but the tailoring is so good that you don't notice. Last year I saw Douglas in BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT, in which he played a villainous attorney...suits all the time, but much more poorly done, with the padding moving independently of his body and the suits gapping at the neck.

Logsdail, who made the suits, appears in the tailoring scene. He's not the tape measure guy, he's the guy with glasses.

One thing I don['t like is a high collar band with a two button stand for Shia. His neck is not so long. It just makes him look like more of a little boy.

The tie draped over his shoulder when he's in the bathroom with Brolin is Hermes.

dbc

Reaction score
Not bad.

onsetofwallstreet2money.jpg

Looks good, although I think the shoes don't match.

dmac

Reaction score
Loose tie knot, and not in a good way, dissapointing:
Screenshot2010-02-24at90620PM.png

Other than the poorly tied knot, this was my favorite look in the movie. I particularly like the tie.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbc
Looks good, although I think the shoes don't match.

I don't mind the shoes. On second sight I think the outfit is a bit over-coordinated, colour-wise. But I still like it.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't mind the shoes.

what else?
laugh.gif

the belt/buckle is a joke...

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a clue as to what brand this tie is...

Screenshot2010-02-24at90647PM.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics