• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My advice to anyone ordering pants from ModernTailor

BostonElitist

Reaction score
I got my first pants from MT. I utilized BODY MEASUREMENTS, and there are things that you can learn from my experience.

The PANTS ARE TOO SHORT!

MT should not even offer BODY measurements for pants as an option. They should simply ask you for your waist size as the ONLY BODY MEASUREMENT, and every other dimension should be CLOTHES MEASUREMENT.

I measured my outseam perfectly as being 39". I assumed that since this is the BODY measurement that the tailors would add some length to this. After all, for the body measurement for shirts, I use 7" for wrists, and of course, they add some length to this. However, for my pants, the outseam was EXACTLY 39".

Also, I specified the cuff to be 9", and it was EXACTLY 9" (half length).

The pants are definitely a pretty high quality otherwise.

What MT should do, IMHO, are the following:
1. Abandon the BODY measurements, unless MT intends to add length to your pant's measurements like you do for shirt measurements. I realize that for *SOME* shirt measurements, they are exact, like the neck, and MT does not add length to this or the shoulder length. But for most other measurements on a shirt, you do add length depending on if the shirt is a SLIM, NORMAL , or RELAXED fit.
2. Eliminate certain dimensions. For example, why do you have INSEAM, LEG-LENGTH, and CROTCH, when all you need are 2 of these? How can an INSEAM be 30, but an LEG-LENGTH (or OUTSEAM as I also refer to it as) be 29? You see, they are correlated.
3. Why did you ask me for my KNEE measurement, when you meant to ask me: "What are the dimensions of your favorite pant's KNEE DIMENSION?" When I replied on the sizing data that my knee's perimeter is 17", your tailors decided that something is wrong. YOU SHOULD REALIZE THAT THIS IS AN EXACT BODY MEASUREMENT, AND YOU SHOULD adjust the pants accordingly like the way you do for shirts.
4. Have MANY more options like the way you do for shirts. For example:
(a) back pocket styles.
(b) belt loops
(c) low rise, high rise, etc.
5. Include the washing instructions.
6. Finally, do NOT ALLOW HAVING NO BACK POCKETS OR 1 BACK POCKETS. NOBODY BUYS PANTS WITH 0 OR 1 BACK POCKETS. ONLY GIRLS DO IN USA. MEN ALWAYS HAVE 2 POCKETS.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics