• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiniW
personally I would go with these:

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-men..._cordovan.html

and with age and sun exposure, they will become more brownish. Obviously this will take some time.

Otherwise search "alden captoe" or "alden straight tip" on the shoemart website and there are several dozen choices. good luck

Brand new, it's a burgundy shade, right?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
Alden doesn't have the pattern available.

I received a lot of entires for stuff that just wasn't available. It's not that we didn't think they were good ideas, it's just that we can't make them. No blue chromexcel, no austerity brogues, no balmoral boots, no chelsea boots, etc, etc, etc.

You had to approach the contest with an idea of the mix and match parts you have available from Alden (ie, you can't create a completely original boot or shoe), what has already been done (a lot already has been) and try to find something that not everyone else is doing but that would also have an appeal. Plus, you need to like it yourself. With all the entries Tom got I'm sure he could toss out all the finalists (please, don't!) and have great finalists again.

Originally Posted by Ahab
BOOT #3 is my favorite out of the lot and I am interested to see what it looks like.

+1
smile.gif

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Brand new, it's a burgundy shade, right?

Right - the Alden 'color 8' or 'no. 8 shell' is burgundy or some call it 'cordovan' color.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What again are the numbers for length / width differences as you from size to size with Aldens? I know some of you Alden fans / salesman know these by heart --

. . . assuming the same style, leather, and last . . .

is it 1/8" longer for each half size

and 3/32" wider for each width?

What about width as you move up half sizes? E.g., difference in width between 11D and 11.5D?

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
I'm looking for a pair of dark brown leather cap toes. Anyone got any suggestion?
biggrin.gif
Thanks.

That was one of my suggestions also. I brown calf leather captoe on the barrie on the flex sole.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhcam8
Right - the Alden 'color 8' or 'no. 8 shell' is burgundy or some call it 'cordovan' color.
Gotcha. When we're talking about time to age...are we talking about years here? (I realize it depends on the amount of wears, but let's say once a week). I'm always a sucker for ShoeMart because of no tax and free shipping and 365 day return policy. I have stuff in my closet that "I may wear" because of that policy, lol. Lastly, how does the Aberdeen Last run? The Aldens I have are either TruBalance or Barrie, both which run .5 larger. Thanks, guys. Well thanks from me, not my wallet.
laugh.gif
Edit: How about the fit of the Hampton last? I'm also considering the Cigar Shell.
biggrin.gif

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mg428

Reaction score
I would like to buy shoes/boots for winter that will provide nice traction but with a relatively dressy look / without a hefty look. In this context, I consider 3 respects important: 1) sole; 2) last; and 3) welting. In regard of the sole, I find Alden's commando sole providing nice traction but at the same time having a very low profile. In fact among the rubber soles out there I think Alden's commando sole is the best in this regard. That's why I am not considering shoes/boots from other manufacturers. As to last, Plaza seems to be the one to go. As to welting, I would prefer regular close heel welt without any storm welt. 360 degree welt would not be a deal breaker, but a storm welt would. I have found the below chukkas almost suitable for my needs: http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index...a_Boot_203.htm The reason why I've said "almost" is because these chukkas have 360 degree storm welt. So I was wondering whether you have ever seen any Alden shoes/boots having commando sole but lacking storm welt. This would probably be "doable" by Alden, but if no one has seen this, that would probably mean Alden does not prefer to manufacture its footwear like this for its stock shoes + no retailers are interested in such a make-up, unless Alden expressly refuses such make-up patterns for some reason.

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr.K
That was one of my suggestions also. I brown calf leather captoe on the barrie on the flex sole.

Any reason you chose the Barrie last? Or is that the Alden last that best conforms to your foot?

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Odd I/O
Any reason you chose the Barrie last? Or is that the Alden last that best conforms to your foot?

I like the Barrie last because it has a bit more shape to it. I do not like many of the last since the toe area is small and I think that wingtips and captoes look much better with a wider toe area.

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mg428
I would like to buy shoes/boots for winter that will provide nice traction but with a relatively dressy look / without a hefty look. In this context, I consider 3 respects important: 1) sole; 2) last; and 3) welting.

In regard of the sole, I find Alden's commando sole providing nice traction but at the same time having a very low profile. In fact among the rubber soles out there I think Alden's commando sole is the best in this regard. That's why I am not considering shoes/boots from other manufacturers. As to last, Plaza seems to be the one to go. As to welting, I would prefer regular close heel welt without any storm welt. 360 degree welt would not be a deal breaker, but a storm welt would.

I have found the below chukkas almost suitable for my needs:

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index...a_Boot_203.htm

The reason why I've said "almost" is because these chukkas have 360 degree storm welt. So I was wondering whether you have ever seen any Alden shoes/boots having commando sole but lacking storm welt. This would probably be "doable" by Alden, but if no one has seen this, that would probably mean Alden does not prefer to manufacture its footwear like this for its stock shoes + no retailers are interested in such a make-up, unless Alden expressly refuses such make-up patterns for some reason.

In regards to the welt, I have a pair of the AF53's which have a Commando Sole and a regular welt (360). From what I've gathered, I'm pretty sure any sole can have any welt.

Try the AF60's, those are hot.

Magic1

Reaction score
I have the AF53s as well. I like them a lot, but wish I got the AF60s, provided they came in color 8. The shoemart has the color 8 cap toe boots on the grant--they're beautiful.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Also what is the difference between these two models?

first: oxford/bal = closed lacing
second: blucher = open lacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads