• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black shoes question

insolentpup

Reaction score
Hi guys

For this work placement at college I have to wear a black suit pants, a shirt and tie and black shoes.

I have all of the above, only my only black shoes are too fancy for this thing, the toe is quite pointy and they are very shiny; they're more of a pair you would wear with a tuxedo.

Can anyone suggest a black shoe style that I could wear, or link me to a pic of something just so I have an idea of what to buy?

insolentpup

Reaction score
Very nice indeed, the price isn't too bad either but they would definitely be far more expensive in the shops here. If I was to be picky I'd say i want something with a slightly slimmer silhouette, only slightly though as I don't want another flashy pair!

What do you guys think of this general style?

http://www.esquire.com/cm/esquire/im...b-65226392.jpg

alastiar

Reaction score
that shoes look really homeschool - the Allen Edmonds.

@insolentpup, nice. Get that one !

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like the Westons, get them.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That JM Weston model looks nice enough. Depending on what line it is, it may be considerably more expensive than AE.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by insolentpup
Hi guys

For this work placement at college I have to wear a black suit pants, a shirt and tie and black shoes.

I have all of the above, only my only black shoes are too fancy for this thing, the toe is quite pointy and they are very shiny; they're more of a pair you would wear with a tuxedo.

Can anyone suggest a black shoe style that I could wear, or link me to a pic of something just so I have an idea of what to buy?

Nothing wrong with starting out with some AE Park Avenues. Are they serious about a black suit? No navy or charcoal?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
Nothing wrong with starting out with some AE Park Avenues. Are they serious about a black suit? No navy or charcoal?

I believe he meant office pants, no jacket required. Am I correct, OP?

insolentpup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
I believe he meant office pants, no jacket required. Am I correct, OP?

Indeed you are. I'll be wearing black suit pants with a shirt and tie, probably a RL polo custom fit shirt.

dunga

Reaction score
Any pair of shoes will be equally suitable.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trader
god that's one ugly shoe

Let me guess, toe not square enough for you?

It's not exactly gonna win any beauty competitions, but the Park Avenue is a perfect example of a classic black cap-toe, how anyone can say it's 'ugly' is beyond me...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads