• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

formalwear Q: waistcoverings and problems matching to jacket lapels

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have just found my tuxedo, a Paul Stuart peak lapel (satin I think), one button, single breasted, ventless number. I now need to accessorize. b/c I am a portly fellow, I think the option to go Daniel Craig style won't work for me. I need either a cummerbund or waistcoat, and am leaning towards waistcoat. question is, if I take of my jacket and am dancing, will a backless waistcoat look bad? should I only focus on waistcoats with a back, and if so, wear do I go about buying one? I have about 6 months to shop so would rather not pay full retail, but if I must I will. also, black or white? all silk is ok? I assume cotton pique or grosgrain is out, b/c it should match the lapels? I am in Boston, have looked at Keezars, that's actually where the tux is from 10/31 update: I am still looking for a waistcoat, and found this new RLPL waistcoat on ebay, and I really like the styling, and it's in my budget. I really don't want to spend hundreds or more on my waist, but $150 or so is fine however, it is silk grosgrain, and my lapels are NOT grosgrain. how large of a crime would wearing this with my tuxedo be?
IMG_5069.jpg

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Don't even think about taking your jacket off. It will either show the workings of a backless waistcoat or the workings of your cummerbund. This is why I don't like wing collars, besides them looking shite they expose the buckle adjuster of your bow tie.

I'm not a fan of waist coverings but it looks like your best bet is a full waistcoat. Don't try to match your suit. Maybe either ecru, bottle green, burgundy?

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Don't even think about taking your jacket off. It will either show the workings of a backless waistcoat or the workings of your cummerbund. This is why I don't like wing collars, besides them looking shite they expose the buckle adjuster of your bow tie.

I'm not a fan of waist coverings but it looks like your best bet is a full waistcoat. Don't try to match your suit. Maybe either ecru, bottle green, burgundy?

Buy a bow tie without an adjuster, problem solved.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
Buy a bow tie without an adjuster, problem solved.

Doesn't solve the problem of the wing collar looking shite!

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
T
Doesn't solve the problem of the wing collar looking shite!

Turndown collar

LaoHu

Reaction score

Not sure colored waistcoats with evening wear is a great idea. My inclination would be to stay with black.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LaoHu
Not sure colored waistcoats with evening wear is a great idea. My inclination would be to stay with black.

Attempt to have the fabric match the lapels on your jacket, not the cloth, as that will be impossible (unless you still have fabric from when you had the jacket made).

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LaoHu
White can also be good. But it must be a low-cut waist-coat, not a high-buttoning 5-button thing, whatever the colour is. (It feels like this is the 5th time in a week that I've made this same post...)

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
White can also be good. But it must be a low-cut waist-coat, not a high-buttoning 5-button thing, whatever the colour is.

(It feels like this is the 5th time in a week that I've made this same post...)

Where is the best place to buy one?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There should be a fabric # on your tuxedo and Paul Stuart can ether match that to an existing waistcoat or possibly have one made for you with the same fabric.

No one who has enough class to wear a Paul Stuart tuxedo should consider wearing a colorful waistcoat.

Jsoftz

Reaction score
http://www.blacktieguide.com/
Good guide here. Check out the "Buying" section, Supplemental retailers.

Yeah, please just wear a black waistcoat. Something like this:

chilbert_com_sweetened.jpg

If you want to go cheap... you can go to a place like Chilbert online and get a backless waistcoat for like $45. I had a wedding awhile back to attend and I needed one cheap and quick and got one of those, and it's okay. As a warning, being portly you will constantly be readjusting it throughout the night.. mostly pulling it down, "Picard Maneuver" style. If you can find a vest that has one of the little loops on the inside to secure into your waistband, that is best- it will keep it pulled down.

I don't know what kind of shirt you have but it is helpful to have the little tab on your shirt, too, to secure it to your pants. Keeps you looking good throughout the night with movement, etc. Please don't take your jacket off- especially if your shirt has a starched bib, you'll just look ridiculous.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
There should be a fabric # on your tuxedo and Paul Stuart can ether match that to an existing waistcoat or possibly have one made for you with the same fabric.

No one who has enough class to wear a Paul Stuart tuxedo should consider wearing a colorful waistcoat.

Right the only question is black or white...but Im leaning towards black

Jsoftz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
Right the only question is black or white...but Im leaning towards black

Yes, do black. Black will slim you a bit, white actually will draw emphasis to your waistline.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it's black you'll have to source the waistcoat through Paul Stuart to get the satins and coloring correct.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads