• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random health and exercise thoughts

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ran 4 miles on the bark chip covered trail through the trees around the Nike headquarters building in Beaverton, OR. Followed it up with a conditioning circuit of burpees, mountain climbers, jumping jacks and split jumps. Finished with a few sets of pushups and chinnies while waiting for my son's XC coaching session to get over.

Damn, Nike has a beautiful campus. Running on the barkchips was great- nothing like the aroma of fresh cedar chips when you step on them.

Simplicio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
yeah, that's what I'm thinking. a bit of training, then a (sprint or two) as practice for a proper one.
K, thanks guys

If you are new to triathlon I suggest that you concentrate on the sports. Don't spend too much time at the gym. I think you said that you don't normally, so that is even more reason not to start lifting too much now. If you stay with tris you will benefit by adding some strength training, but only after your sports are at a pretty decent level.

I don't know your background with the three sports, but if you aren't used to one or more of them you will need to get your body accustomed to them. Bike at high cadence over steadily increasing distance, that kind of thing. If you are new to swimming I would spend most of your energy improving your technique. It will give you by far the biggest return.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting off my first deload week of 5/3/1 and ready to hit the weights like a ******* beast today. Probably better because i was getting close to overtraining, but still, taking a week "off" was making me go insane.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by virus646
don't you have fun at the gym? I do. It's one of the few place I can be alone with my thoughts and the only thing that I have in mind is pushing that frikking bar. Personally, I see it as a long term activity/hobby rather than ''get that 6-pack for summer'' so I wouldn't really trade it for perfect genetics.

+1

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
don't you have fun at the gym? I do. It's one of the few place I can be alone with my thoughts and the only thing that I have in mind is pushing that frikking bar. Personally, I see it as a long term activity/hobby rather than ''get that 6-pack for summer'' so I wouldn't really trade it for perfect genetics.

I don't have fun at the gym
frown.gif
Though I suppose that is likely a product of my laziness... I'd rather spend my time playing a sport or chilling with friends.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO genetics come to play only at the very top level. Most ppl who ***** about bad genetics are not even close to their full potential anyways.

Regarding having fun at the gym, I myself can hardly say I always enjoy my time in the weight room. Yet to accomplish something (whether it be gaining mass or changing body comp, whatever really) one has to dig deep and find that motivation time and again. As has probably been stated here ad nauseam, consistency produces results.

If I could have sub-8 bf and huge lifts with no work whatsoever, I doubt I'd accept the offer. Call it masochism, stupidity, or whatever - I like to accomplish things and goals for myself, not have them given to me without any effort. Any serious injuries notwithstanding, I think lifting weights is something I'll enjoy for a long time to come. Learning how your body works, what works and what doesn't is great fun.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrH
IMO genetics come to play only at the very top level. Most ppl who ***** about bad genetics are not even close to their full potential anyways.

They're also usually the ones who eat junk and consider a slow walk on a treadmill a few times a month "working out."

Regarding having fun at the gym, I myself can hardly say I always enjoy my time in the weight room. Yet to accomplish something (whether it be gaining mass or changing body comp, whatever really) one has to dig deep and find that motivation time and again. As has probably been stated here ad nauseam, consistency produces results.
Fat-loss-based programs are like timed torture sessions and I'm always glad to finish them, but you're right. Noticeable changes require temporary discomfort. Most people don't like to be pushed from a place of comfort, hence you get people blaming genetics for their condition.

If I could have sub-8 bf and huge lifts with no work whatsoever, I doubt I'd accept the offer. Call it masochism, stupidity, or whatever - I like to accomplish things and goals for myself, not have them given to me without any effort. Any serious injuries notwithstanding, I think lifting weights is something I'll enjoy for a long time to come. Learning how your body works, what works and what doesn't is great fun.
Yup. I can't say I'd decline some help getting there, but I generally enjoy weight training. It's that part of my day where I can just wrap some headphones around my skull, crank the volume, and move around like a freed dog.

In fact, I opted to not stop at my gym on the way home from work earlier today, but am regretting it now, so I'm heading out there in a bit.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrH

I see your point about going through the paces of learning how your body works and toying with things to get the most out of your body. That challenge is great fun, but you can still do that with crazy genetics.

The way I look at it is a genetic lift is usually a prerequisite to greatness. Usain Bolt can get off the couch and out run 99.9% of the world with zero training. He's a freak genetically, like Lebron, or Phelps etc... But he has to bust his ass with those genetics cause he's racing other superhuman freaks (drugs notwithstanding).

I'd prefer to be given the genetics to start with and then bust ****** using what god gave me in competition, rather than bust ****** just to keep up with those genetic freaks.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watching the kids during my son's gymnastics class is both exhilarating and depressing. It is fun to see him get stronger but it is also infuriating to see 12 and 13 year olds do one muscle up and V-sit after another
lol8[1].gif

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrH

If I could naturally have good flexibility, I'd go for it. Still do the work on actual lifting, but not flexibility. I hate stretching for a week then going for one run and reverting to zero.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Watching the kids during my son's gymnastics class is both exhilarating and depressing. It is fun to see him get stronger but it is also infuriating to see 12 and 13 year olds do one muscle up and V-sit after another
lol8[1].gif

Don't even start with that... gymnasts have AMAZING strength and proprioception... I'm officially envious.

T-nation articles are usually just as good a waste of time as any, but 6 wk contest prep for a natty bb? I somehow don't see that happening.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Melvin900
Certainly you should join gym and do exercise daily because fatness is very danger disease.
Sigged

joei

Reaction score

+1 . Pushing my body and hitting new goals is exciting for me.

Besides the gym, jogging gives me a natural high. Jogging new routes and seeing new places is sometimes exciting for me. I've found so many chill places to go to whilte jogging new routes.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
For me there's a strong dose of, "if it was easy then everyone would do it". I like looking around at any given time and being (at least in terms of appearance) among the guys in the best shape in the room/gym/pool/wherever. The competition narrows even more compared to other guys my age.

virus646

Reaction score
Had an awesome workout today. Finally got 5x 2plates squats with good form down. It may not sound much for some but I'm happy to see that I'm progressing at a good pace
smile.gif
I'm also very close to BW bench press and getting high numbers on deadlifts! This is one of those day that remind you why you take the time to go to the gym and watch your diet
bigstar[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads