• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Thank you guys. The sole is Vibram.

good quality but it looks geriatric...

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
Don't do it! - Those shoes are hardly worn. - You'll be wasting your money!!! The insole will mould to your feet. That moulding process is a permanent one, not like stepping into a Plaster-of-Paris dish. The insole will re-align to your feet. Wear them about half a dozen times, and you won't notice, they were once worn by a different person.
To late! Mailed them yesterday morning for the $99 fix..... Oh well...... They'll last another 10 years or so before they'll need it again....

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TylerDurden
To late! Mailed them yesterday morning for the $99 fix..... Oh well...... They'll last another 10 years or so before they'll need it again....

it's still a waste and they'll likely lose a bit of their character they had. though depending on your wearing habits, it's unlikely to expect ten years before the next fix...

adagio

Reaction score
I'm sure someone else has probably posted these before but I think they deserve another outing. C&J Tetbury in brown suede. Got them from Bodileys http://www.shoesnorthampton.co.uk/. Excellent service and they don't charge for shipping making them about €20 cheaper overall than PLAL. Oh, and a 17 hour delivery time
smile.gif
JL Romsey below for comparison.
sl373396.jpg
sl373395.jpg
sl372595.jpg

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the colour name of that suede, adagio?

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
Don't do it! - Those shoes are hardly worn. - You'll be wasting your money!!!

The insole will mould to your feet. That moulding process is a permanent one, not like stepping into a Plaster-of-Paris dish.
The insole will re-align to your feet. Wear them about half a dozen times, and you won't notice, they were once worn by a different person.

This has not been my experience.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a great thread. Some if the most twisted, dark, and perverse Appreciation ever. It's better (worse?) than "Backdoor Sluts 9".

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhcam8
This has not been my experience.
^+1 I don't want to pursue this but I thought an additional observation might add some perspective... Have those who think an insole will re-form, ever seen a "tooled" belt? Or a saddle that was ornately tooled? Do you understand how this is accomplished? The leather is thoroughly moistened and then allowed to dry back to the original colour and reduced moisture content. This process is called "tempering." It is not unlike the wetting and drying that take place in a shoe. At that point, the surface of the leather is carved (for definition) and "stamped." The stamping compresses the fibers of the leather. The carving is not necessary to achieve this compression. Carving merely creates sharp edges...in fact, some older "schools" of tooling do not carve at all. Then the leather is allowed to finish drying. Years and years later, after many uses, a belt or saddle will retain that tooling to a remarkable degree. Even after the saddle is ridden in the rain or put up wet. Saddle leather is significantly softer than insole leather. It would not be impossible to "tool" insole leather but it wouldn't be as easy as saddle leather. That said, once a footbed has been created in an the insole, it is very similar to the tooled saddle. The fibers have been compressed under the weight of the foot and the impact pressure of walking. Other fibers have been displaced to form contours that are proud to the surface. Because the insole leather starts out firmer than "tooling leather" it will hold the impressing more persistently. If a saddle can hold the tooling after decades of hard use...sometimes even a century or more... how does it make sense to expect an insole to relax and "forget" the contours that have been beaten into it?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
If a saddle can hold the tooling after decades of hard use...sometimes even a century or more... how does it make sense to expect an insole to relax and "forget" the contours that have been beaten into it?

i do not expect that, but the insoles AE is using are pure junk. so this guy would have been better of to use his local cobbler.

just my two cents.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
i do not expect that, but the insoles AE is using are pure junk. so this guy would have been better of to use his local cobbler. just my two cents.
Well, without reference to AE, I agree with you...as I said in my earlier remarks. Everything changes--all expectations and assumptions are moot--if you're talking about fiberboard or very thin and/or poor quality insoles backed by cork (essentially heavy sockliners). That said, $100.00 for a re-crafting isn't much more than the local cobbler would have charged for a full sole and heel and the insole would almost certainly not have been replaced. The whole point of course, is to know what you're getting into when you buy used shoes--incompatibly contoured insole is the least of it.
nest.gif
I've got a line on some used mattresses (from hotels in NY) I might want to sell cheap.
devil.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
1. Well, without reference to AE, I agree with you...as I said in my earlier remarks. Everything changes--all expectations and assumptions are moot--if you're talking about fiberboard or very thin and/or poor quality insoles backed by cork.

2. That said, $100.00 for a re-crafting isn't much more than the local cobbler would have charged for a full sole and heel and the insole would almost certainly not have been replaced.

1. this

2. point is. the soles and the heels are in good condition. all he had needed would have been a skilled guy, who replaces the insoles. i'm not familiar with cobbler prizes in the U.S., but it seems that they are definitely lower in the neck of my woods. not talking hungary. they are really low.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are those khaki-colored jeans? They look interesting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads