• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loake Pimlico--Chukka's

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MaxH
I tried ordering a pair in suede from Pediwear a couple of weeks ago. They were out of stock in my size (UK7), with a 6 week wait for delivery from the manufacturer. On the Loake website, the suede Pimlico are available for direct order only in limited sizes at the moment. I cancelled my order at the previous price of £130, and see they are now £145 at Pediwear. I imagine the price increase is in advance of a new run of manufacture of the boot at Loake.

I've seen them in real life, and in my opinion the suede Pimlico looks very good - closer to some of the other UK shoe makers suede boots than are the leather versions of Loake boots. Slightly sorry I cancelled the order at the old price, but I think still good value for the new price, and I will probably re-order when I see they are readily available.

-- MaxH

Have you seen the Pimlico or Kemptons in a calf leather in real life, by chance? I've read some reviews here by people who have said they look a bit plasticky. Is this actually the case? I was considering calf leather.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
Have you seen the Pimlico or Kemptons in a calf leather in real life, by chance? I've read some reviews here by people who have said they look a bit plasticky. Is this actually the case? I was considering calf leather.

I have the Pimlico in dark brown calf and it DOES NOT resemble plastic in any way, shape, or form. Great boot. I want to get them in the dark brown suede too.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaygee
a UK10.5 which would equate to a US11.5?

FWIW UK 10.5 = US 11. In theory. Google the brannock conversion chart and see for yourself.

mdp0430

Reaction score
I've been contemplating these as well... Wondering how these would look with a suit or dress pants? Also, confused on the fit. I wear an AE 10D in the Strand, but the same size in the Delray feels a bit tight. Any thoughts on where I would be in a Plimlico? As always, thanks!

MaxH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred

I've seen the Kemptons. Maybe it was because they were a display pair which might have been sitting on the shelf for a couple of months, but they looked dull and to my eyes a bit utilitarian on the 026 last, though the leather was not plasticky. I don't think I've seen the Pimlicos in leather.

I think the suede Pimlicos are nicer looking than the AS equivalent, and aren't really shamed by the C&J Chukkas or even the Tricker's suede boots (though the latter are incredibly well made, and the pair I tried had a really marvellous rusty-red-brown colour). The main criticisms of Loake - quality of leather and lack of 'sleekness' - just don't apply here and the Capital last works well in my view for this style of footwear.

I should repeat that I don't actually own a pair yet. When I do, I'll add a note to this thread.

-- MaxH

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
If you want a suede and aren't in the Uk, the Pimlico's are actually still #125 at Pediwear.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mdp0430
I've been contemplating these as well... Wondering how these would look with a suit or dress pants? Also, confused on the fit. I wear an AE 10D in the Strand, but the same size in the Delray feels a bit tight. Any thoughts on where I would be in a Plimlico? As always, thanks!

FWIW, I wear an 8.5D in the Strand and UK7F in the Pimlico.

BicesterRules

Reaction score
I would be reticent about buying anything Loake because at least in the UK they are dropping cheap low quality shoes all over the place- I mean lots of mid-lower tier shoe shops are selling low quality Loakes, and u can find them in TKMaxx (UK version of TJMaxx) which in my mind is never a good thing. When a brand strats going downmarket in some shoes can u trust them to keep it upmarket on other shoes? maybe, maybe not

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BicesterRules
I would be reticent about buying anything Loake because at least in the UK they are dropping cheap low quality shoes all over the place- I mean lots of mid-lower tier shoe shops are selling low quality Loakes, and u can find them in TKMaxx (UK version of TJMaxx) which in my mind is never a good thing. When a brand strats going downmarket in some shoes can u trust them to keep it upmarket on other shoes? maybe, maybe not
Well, only buy Loake 1880. The others have worse leather. And Loake is obviously a real entry shoe and not high end, I think it would be worth it for someone who's just starting out as they're not leaving a dent in his wallet like directly going for Crockett&Jones or higher.

I have the Loake Aldwych and the Buckingham. Both are fine for their price but I feel like the Aldwych is a little better somehow. It's kinda weird, the Aldwych is also the most comfortable shoe I have, didn't find one fitting that well in my pursues of Grenson or Alden yet. Will try to see how Crockett&Jones fits but the local dealer never stocks my UK7
confused.gif

BicesterRules

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Szeph el ratón
Well, only buy Loake 1880. The others have worse leather. And Loake is obviously a real entry shoe and not high end, I think it would be worth it for someone who's just starting out as they're not leaving a dent in his wallet like directly going for Crockett&Jones or higher.

I have the Loake Aldwych and the Buckingham. Both are fine for their price but I feel like the Aldwych is a little better somehow. It's kinda weird, the Aldwych is also the most comfortable shoe I have, didn't find one fitting that well in my pursues of Grenson or Alden yet. Will try to see how Crockett&Jones fits but the local dealer never stocks my UK7
confused.gif

I would I do that? Loake 1880s are sold at about 185 pounds. I can get Church's, Tramezzas and a few good Zegnas and Bally Scribes for that +/- 30 pounds in the Bicester Outlet. Hell I got some nice tramezzas for 108 pounds a few months ago.

I am sorry but once I see Loakes on the high street for 70 pounds I stop caring about 1880s or 2040s or whatever- clearly it is not a company targeting the quality market since they allow their name to be stuck on those products. Giving it some kind of iconic number does not change things even if I fully expect them to be better than the 70 pounds ones.

Barker is another one. You can get them pretty cheap on the high street but then you go to Jermyn Street and it is like it is a different company (funny enough they don't sell Barkers Black- another 1880s kind of scam- in UK shops I know off- seems to be US only)- which may work well for selling to US people who know Jermyn only but doesn't if you live in the UK

Of course the worse offenders in Jermyn street are TM Levin or Charles T who for some weird reason seem to be popular with the US crowd in this forum, while Pink, whose quality is better is not.

Anyway Jermyn street I believe exists for the sole purpose of ripping off Americans and other business travellers

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BicesterRules
I would I do that? Loake 1880s are sold at about 185 pounds. I can get Church's, Tramezzas and a few good Zegnas and Bally Scribes for that +/- 30 pounds in the Bicester Outlet. Hell I got some nice tramezzas for 108 pounds a few months ago.

I am sorry but once I see Loakes on the high street for 70 pounds I stop caring about 1880s or 2040s or whatever- clearly it is not a company targeting the quality market since they allow their name to be stuck on those products. Giving it some kind of iconic number does not change things even if I fully expect them to be better than the 70 pounds ones.

Barker is another one. You can get them pretty cheap on the high street but then you go to Jermyn Street and it is like it is a different company (funny enough they don't sell Barkers Black- another 1880s kind of scam- in UK shops I know off- seems to be US only)- which may work well for selling to US people who know Jermyn only but doesn't if you live in the UK

Of course the worse offenders in Jermyn street are TM Levin or Charles T who for some weird reason seem to be popular with the US crowd in this forum, while Pink, whose quality is better is not.

Anyway Jermyn street I believe exists for the sole purpose of ripping off Americans and other business travellers

Your logic is terrible.

Mabitex sells at Daffys and they're one of the best pairs of pants one can get. Allen Edmonds, as well as Italian and English made Ralph Laurens, can be had at Nordstrom Rack. There are all sorts of quality goods out there at discount stores. Let's talk about how things are actually made and what materials are actually used, not some terrible shortcut logic (eg where things are being sold) to measure quality.

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I look at Herring Shoes, Loake 1880 are 165 GBP and Churchs at least 255 GBP. I don't see where they compete in the same price range.

Discussing Retail price for one company vs. picking up sales from another is absurd. The Americans here buy Allen Edmonds for 100 USD, that's fine, but in Switzerland they are around 500 USD and don't go on sale (Alden in Shell cost you between 700 and 800 USD here. Basically the US brands can't compete with UK on the price point in Europe).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads