• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TylerDurden
I decided to send them in for a full recrafting. I can feel the imprint of the previous owners foot (Slightly shorter then my foot),
and would like to have the shoe mold to my foot.

Don't do it! - Those shoes are hardly worn. - You'll be wasting your money!!!

The insole will mould to your feet. That moulding process is a permanent one, not like stepping into a Plaster-of-Paris dish.
The insole will re-align to your feet. Wear them about half a dozen times, and you won't notice, they were once worn by a different person.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
A little Saphir Renovateur before and after... well, after and before.
smile.gif

9ks0f5.jpg

Amazing outcome. How much elbow grease was involved in getting the result?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
Amazing outcome. How much elbow grease was involved in getting the result?

Thank you.

Barely any, really... I used a round dabber to put a little Reno on, waited 5 minutes for it to dry/soak in, and then brushed with a horse-hair brush for maybe a minute per shoe. Then I buffed with a cloth for 20-30 seconds, and gave it a final quick brush. So... 10 mins total, maybe?

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
Don't do it! - Those shoes are hardly worn. - You'll be wasting your money!!! The insole will mould to your feet. That moulding process is a permanent one, not like stepping into a Plaster-of-Paris dish. The insole will re-align to your feet. Wear them about half a dozen times, and you won't notice, they were once worn by a different person.
With all due respect, I have to disagree here. Depending on the quality of the shoe and the insole, a good leather sole will not be in any hurry to reform. In fact, once the footbed is formed the foot itself will tend to add heat and moisture and salt---all of which tends to harden and set the contours inside the shoe. And even if the footbed could or would eventually re-form to some degree, in the meantime, the foot is being subjected to stresses and pressures that are almost certain to be uncomfortable...even painful...and hold some possibility, albeit small, to do permanent damage to the foot. That said, shoes with thin insoles, fiberboard insoles, etc., are another matter and not so easily predicted although the prospects are probably not any better.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

A recent purchase...

Nice, Moo. I can't say I'm into the density of the sole, but I did everything else about it. Been thinking of a pair of boat shoe boots for a little while, but haven't seen the ideal one yet.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Nice, Moo. I can't say I'm into the density of the sole, but I dig everything else about it.
+1 - nice pics too.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

A recent purchase...

Nice. The lack of speed hooks will greatly extend the life of your leather laces.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice, Moo. I can't say I'm into the density of the sole, but I did everything else about it. Been thinking of a pair of boat shoe boots for a little while, but haven't seen the ideal one yet.

David - have a look at the stuff from Oak Street Bootmakers. They look quite nice:

boat-brown_1.jpg

I quite like this one:

vibram-blue.jpg

vibram-blue-detail.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And if you go Quoddy, be ready for the most unreliable customer service possible.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks!

A recent purchase...

jqkdxf.jpg

ivlb40.jpg

24v72nq.jpg

viljy8.jpg

My American uncle used to wear those type of boots around home. It always struck me that you could go for a six very easily with the low gripping sole. Am I wrong?

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
David - have a look at the stuff from
I quite like this one:

vibram-blue.jpg

vibram-blue-detail.jpg

yea i quite like this one too it would be nice a a mid brown suede

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score

Originally Posted by gdl203
+1 - nice pics too.

Originally Posted by fritzl
+2

Thank you guys. The sole is Vibram.

Originally Posted by bigbris1
Nice. The lack of speed hooks will greatly extend the life of your leather laces.

Thanks - agreed. I cannot really imagine leather laces with speed hooks would last long at all.

Originally Posted by meister
My American uncle used to wear those type of boots around home. It always struck me that you could go for a six very easily with the low gripping sole. Am I wrong?

I'm guessing that means slip and fall? If so... I guess on ice and if you're not careful, on snow. But otherwise these are made for all kinds of bad weather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads