• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indochino suits?

jbharris88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crash Override
The Flashback looks "Crazy flashy" to me on the Indochino site. I probably should have gotten a swatch of the flashback fabric just to compare it to the Metallic Grey. I honestly didn't think I'd like the Metallic Grey until I got the Tailor's Kit, and I thought it looked really nice. (Still Polyester, though).

Sorry, I had the wrong one in mind. The flashback and the Metallic 3-Piece Tuxedo are crazy flashy and awful. The latter looks like what those statue mime guys in touristy areas.

mime-human-statue.jpg

Crash Override

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jbharris88
Sorry, I had the wrong one in mind. The flashback and the Metallic 3-Piece Tuxedo are crazy flashy and awful. The latter looks like what those statue mime guys in touristy areas.

mime-human-statue.jpg

Hey, there's a thought.
i could go with the charcoal, AND pick up a flashback to try and earn some spare change to pay for them!
laugh.gif

raphael__n

Reaction score
So I'm about to finalize the payment for my order. Just a few questions. What options should I choose? I take it getting the functional boutonniere is recommended? Should I also opt for pick stitching? Since it is my first suit, should I go for a dark grey or black lining for the Timeless Charcoal, or should I be adventurous and experiment? For example, Burgundy? As for monogramming, what colour would go well? I'm thinking white, since the other two do not look as appealing. I know the whole idea is to customize a suit to your liking, but as a first suit, I think there are some timeless staples that I should probably follow, while others I can experiment with Here are my current specs: JACKET Lapels: Notch (slim) Vents: Two Buttons: Two Lining: Dark Gray No Pick Stiching No Ticket Pocket Hemmed Sleeves Functional Sleeve Buttonholes Functional Boutonniere No Pen Pocket or Slanted Pockets No Pocket Flaps (I read pocket flaps can make a short person appear shorter) VEST: Buttons: Five Lining: Dark Gray Lapel: Normal PANTS No Pleats Hemmed No Cuffs Belt Loops No Coin Pocket No Suspender Buttons To give you an idea of my stature, although I have mentioned it in some parts of the thread. I am 5'4" and about 125lbs. EDIT: I am also getting the Belgian Pilot Coat. Recommendations for lining there? I'm thinking Navy or Black. I've added in a picture from Lorenz's blog showing a close-up of the pick-stitching. I'm not sure if that's what good pick-stitching is supposed to look like (not a part of the suit I ever focused on), but it doesn't seem all that subtle. Does anyone know if it is hand-stitched or done by machine?
IMG_1351.jpg

LorenzL

Reaction score
Hi Raphael! I think it's done by machine and to be honest, I don't think I will take it again - it's not bad, but it somehow doesn't add anything I think. For the pants, be careful with ordering them hemmed, you might risk that the length is not right and then a tailor cannot adjust it that much if they arrived hemmed. Same with the jacket sleeves (Functional Sleeve Buttons - actually not avail. for first time buyers I think). As it's your first suit, I'd personally stay with the standard lining! Let us know how it all worked out with the suit
smile.gif

jbharris88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by raphael__n

I think there are some timeless staples that I should probably follow.

Well make a decision, either you are going timeless or you aren't, I wouldn't really mix if I were you.

My opinions:
Monogramming = nobody is really going to care that much, I think it is kind of tacky personally
Lapels: Notch (slim) = Any reason why slim vs. regular?
Lining: Dark Gray = Yes, stick with something conservative. I think their crazy linings are silly.
No Pick Stiching. = My impression is that it's done by machine and looks cheap.
Functional Sleeve Buttonholes = probably not available as a 1st timer.
Functional Boutonniere = Yes
No Pen Pocket or Slanted Pockets = Why wouldn't you get a pen pocket, it's a good thing to have. No slanted pockets.
No Pocket Flaps (I read pocket flaps can make a short person appear shorter) = I'm short and have flaps on all my coats. Jetted pockets, if you open them, tend to gape open over time. The flaps help cover that up. Plus, if you have flaps but properly jetted pocket seams, a flapped pocket can always be tucked in. But not vice-versa.

Pants
Hemmed = Yes, typically indochino will get this measurement fairly accurate so why waste part of your $75 credit on this later?
No Coin Pocket = Why not? This is a great feature to have
Do not get side tabs on the Indochino pants.

krish88

Reaction score
My opinion on the lining, I like some of the other colours, for the charcoal I would probably go with Dark Gray or Black lining, I can see the Burgandy looking awesome for sure, so consider that as well.

There's nothing wrong with the other linings in different colours, I have 2 conservative suits (black on my charcoal, and navy on my navy suit), but I also got some of the different linings for coats (got the Belgian Pilot Jacket with Navy Blue, and an overcoat with Purple). I love those linings, they just make it stand out and look that much better in my opinion -- I would definitely go with a different colour lining for the Jacket (depending on a colour you like that contrasts well)

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raphael__n
Lapels: Notch (slim)

No Pen Pocket

No Cuffs

No Suspender Buttons

Fix these before going ahead.

Crash Override

Reaction score
I think the functional button option must become available if you order the tailor's kit. I didn't see it before, but now that I have the tailor's Kit, the option shows up for me. When I saw it, I wasn't going to choose it because it does make alterations very difficult, but then I thought, "if it can't be done well, Indochino will just remake it".

Do Indochino's suits have jetted pockets if they have flaps? If so, that gives you the option of tucking them in. I like the waist/ticket pocket myself, and thought they were always supposed to have flaps. (I'm 5'7", and 145-150, by the way).
Why do you guys say NO to slanted pockets? I thought that helped them look better when you were actually wearing the jacket? (Not disagreeing necessarily, just asking for my own education).

I don't care for the pick stitching myself, but the monogramming seems OK. I wish they offered a subtler color option though. As far as the linings go, I wish I could get a better look at some of those more flamboyant ones. Otherwise, I'll keep to the basics.

I agree with the pen pocket, boutonniere, and I like the slim lapels myself.
I'm also thinking of ordering a shirt with a wide-spread point small collar and angled french cuffs.
Any advice?

BTW, I got an email regarding the "World of Indochino", coming September 28th.
Anyone know what that's all about?

LorenzL

Reaction score
I think the functional button option must become available if you order the tailor's kit. I didn't see it before, but now that I have the tailor's Kit, the option shows up for me. When I saw it, I wasn't going to choose it because it does make alterations very difficult, but then I thought, "if it can't be done well, Indochino will just remake it".

Do Indochino's suits have jetted pockets if they have flaps? If so, that gives you the option of tucking them in. I like the waist/ticket pocket myself, and thought they were always supposed to have flaps. (I'm 5'7", and 145-150, by the way).
Why do you guys say NO to slanted pockets? I thought that helped them look better when you were actually wearing the jacket? (Not disagreeing necessarily, just asking for my own education).

I don't care for the pick stitching myself, but the monogramming seems OK. I wish they offered a subtler color option though. As far as the linings go, I wish I could get a better look at some of those more flamboyant ones. Otherwise, I'll keep to the basics.

I agree with the pen pocket, boutonniere, and I like the slim lapels myself.
I'm also thinking of ordering a shirt with a wide-spread point small collar and angled french cuffs.
Any advice?

BTW, I got an email regarding the "World of Indochino", coming September 28th.
Anyone know what that's all about?

"World of Indochino" is probably their new Collection for September. I should get the press release on Monday with more info. I am curious if it will contain some new outerwear items...

About the french cuffs, I don't have any as they would be considered to fancy in my business - but wide-spread collars, I do like those!

Crash Override

Reaction score
I chose the French Cuffs because I have several dress shirts I can wear to work in various colors with normal button-cuffs.
I like the french cuffs for special events.
I'd love to know what's coming/going on the 28th, as I was going to use the "2 shirt, one accessory" coupon that expires on the 27th, but want to see what's new before I order.

LorenzL, I'll ask you since you seem quite the Indochino authority:
In looking at the Basic Black VS Black Day at the office, is the vest the only difference?
Are the fabrics identical? (The buttons appear to be slightly different).
I was first drawn to Indochino, by their Black Mod Suit, which was sold out by the time I found the site. (Actually rediscovered, as I'd looked at them a while back).
The concierge told me the Black Day at the Office was almost identical to the Mod.

(I'm still waffling between Metallic Grey, Charcoal, and black).

LorenzL

Reaction score
I chose the French Cuffs because I have several dress shirts I can wear to work in various colors with normal button-cuffs.
I like the french cuffs for special events.
I'd love to know what's coming/going on the 28th, as I was going to use the "2 shirt, one accessory" coupon that expires on the 27th, but want to see what's new before I order.

LorenzL, I'll ask you since you seem quite the Indochino authority:
In looking at the Basic Black VS Black Day at the office, is the vest the only difference?
Are the fabrics identical? (The buttons appear to be slightly different).
I was first drawn to Indochino, by their Black Mod Suit, which was sold out by the time I found the site. (Actually rediscovered, as I'd looked at them a while back).
The concierge told me the Black Day at the Office was almost identical to the Mod.

(I'm still waffling between Metallic Grey, Charcoal, and black).

I'd say it's the same (fabric description is the same, if you compare the back shots the material looks identical as well - hard to tell from photos obviously). You are not going to get much love for a black suit on there though - SF members (at least most of them) would advise you to wear it only for funerals. The metallic grey is 100% polyester, you know that right?

Crash Override

Reaction score
Yeah, I know most folks here would say Charcoal instead of black.
I wouldn't be wearing it to work, mostly parties (hopefully not many funerals).
And I do already have a charcoal pinstripe. Plus, my wife likes the black.

The polyester was my biggest hesitation with the Grey Metallic. However, the Sample in my Tailor's kit was labeled as a Poly/wool blend. (don't remember the percentage, but it was small amount of wool).
I mainly just want some sheen, similar to my vintage Mohair sharkskin suit, but can't tell if the black or charcoal has much, if any. (The site does say it has a bit). I also liked the idea of the Gret with a black shirt (which again, most people here would likely frown upon, but would suit my style for holiday parties).

jbharris88

Reaction score
Yeah, I know most folks here would say Charcoal instead of black.
I wouldn't be wearing it to work, mostly parties (hopefully not many funerals).
And I do already have a charcoal pinstripe. Plus, my wife likes the black.

My best advice is to get a new wife, one that knows a thing or to about style, not fashion.

If I see you in your new garb, I'll be sure to tip you well though. Thanks for pulling my car around or getting my luggage. That's if you don't give off the clergy or amish vibe.

No, seriously, black is fine for night, but if you are doing it you might as well go all out w/ peaked lapels + other fashion forward details.

jbharris88

Reaction score

Jetted=Besom=No flaps Jetted pockets are traditionally more for formal attire. The point of the flap was to cover your pockets from rain, hence attire to be worn indoors did not need them. Dinner jackets are the typical example here.

Indochino suits will have slightly angled pockets already. I didn't really notice until a recent purchase, but most suits do slightly. The actual slanted pockets are very slanted and fashion forward. Traditionally slanted pockets, also called hacking, are less formal and originate from jackets used for horseriding b/c they make pocket access easier.

Crash Override

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jbharris88
Jetted=Besom=No flaps Jetted pockets are traditionally more for formal attire. The point of the flap was to cover your pockets from rain, hence attire to be worn indoors did not need them. Dinner jackets are the typical example here. Indochino suits will have slightly angled pockets already. I didn't really notice until a recent purchase, but most suits do slightly. The actual slanted pockets are very slanted and fashion forward. Traditionally slanted pockets, also called hacking, are less formal and originate from jackets used for horseriding b/c they make pocket access easier.
I was referring to your earlier post: "Plus, if you have flaps but properly jetted pocket seams, a flapped pocket can always be tucked in. But not vice-versa.", when I asked about the pockets. As to your earlier comments, other than Peak-lapels, what else would you consider "fashion-forward" details? (I've already got a Black w/blue stripe suit with peak lapels). I personally prefer the narrow lapels. And my wife, always thinks I look nice, has stopped going into her office to work (now works from home), and saves a ton of money on clothing. (which allows me to spend more), but still looks amazing when we go out. Think I'll keep her.
inlove.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads