• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninja07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nutcracker
5017816629_0b0204e96e.jpg

indoor pic looks like ravello....?

beautiful colour anyways

Aquaphor

Reaction score
What do you guys think of the leathersoul contest finalist shoes and boots? Which ones Shoe and Boot would you vote for?

SHOE #1
The SF Classy Blucher by R. Friend
Plain Toe Blucher w/Medallion on Toe
Hampton Last
Burgundy #8 Shell Cordovan
6 Blind Eyelets
Regular Welt, Close Heel
Single Oiled Leather Flex Sole
LS Comments: "A great everyday shoe with a medallion detail that keeps it interesting. Very versatile, it will look great with a suit or with jeans."

SHOE #2
The Jumper Shoe by C. Mai
Perforated Cap Toe Blucher
Trubalance Last
Horween Brown Chromexcel
Metal Eyelets
Regular Welt, Close Heel
Antique Edgetrim
Double Waterlock Oiled Leather Sole
Vintage Rubber Heel
LS Comments: "A perfect alternative or companion shoe to our very popular Jumper Boot line. Great addition of the vintage inspired rubber heel."

SHOE #3
The Chromexcel LHS by M. Weinshenker
Leisure Handsewn Penny Loafer
Van Last
Horween Brown Chromexcel
Regular Welt, All Around
Antique Edgetrim
LS Comments: "A simple but smart variation of one of Alden's most popular shoes. The chromexcel leather matched with an oiled leather flex sole will make this a great, classic American penny loafer."

BOOT #1
The Vanguard Boot by J. Rogulski
Cap Toe High Boot
Barrie Last
Horween Brown Chromexcel
Brass Eyelets w/Speed Hooks
Regular Welt, All Around
Antique Edgetrim
Double Waterlock Oiled Leather Sole
Vintage Rubber Heel
LS Comments: "We think this will be a great vintage looking boot. The contrast from the brass eyelets on the brown chromexcel leather will be a really nice detail."

BOOT #2
The Natural Wingtip Boot by B. Miu
Wingtip High Boot
Plaza Last
Horween Natural Chromexcel
All Blind Eyelets
Regular Welt, Close Heel
Antique Edgetrim
LS Comments: "We think natural chromexcel will work great with the Plaza wingtip boot. It will age beautifully and we like the single oiled flex sole, giving it a dressier silhouette."

BOOT #3
The Alpine Wingtip Boot by A. Cornett
Wingtip High Boot
Barrie Last
Brown Alpine Grain Calf
All Brass Eyelets
Reverse Welt, All Around
Antique Edgetrim
Commando Sole
LS Comments: "An American version of the country boot. Perfect with a tweed suit or with jeans and a flannel button down."

http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/201...led/#more-2595

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
Yes, I am not a professional photographer. I have no idea how to adjust lighting/color. I'm sorry for any confusion.

Is it possible for Alden to make a Balmoral boot? Like this?

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Odd I/O
Is it possible for Alden to make a Balmoral boot?

They don't have the pattern.

Leffot's having a Rider Boot trunk show on October 1 and 2. Check it out if you are in the area.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very interesting voting so far by the way, not what I expected at all.

Magic1

Reaction score
To be honest, I don't really like the contest finalists. Either no one submitted good designs, or all the good ones are already on order.

The three shoes make no sense really with the 2nd one being the best out of the three. (Shoe #1) Blutcher and medallion toe don't really go together well IMHO, mix that in with the 6 eyelets and you have a really awkward shoe. 6 eyelets is tough and I think it only looks nice with either a plain toe or NST. Although the hampton last is spot on. Shoe #3 is also nonsensical. Why make a penny loafer with Chromexcel, may as well put a commando sole on it...The boots are okay, not much better. I like boot #1, but wish it were on a different last. Boot #3 is nice. Boot #2 would be hideous--just think of it. I think natural chromexcel is an iffy color, and it certainly won't look good paired with the wingtip.

I liked the results of the first contest MUCH more. Both winners were gorgeous. I don't know what happened this time....but hey, maybe everyone else thinks they're beautiful.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magic1
To be honest, I don't really like the contest finalists. Either no one submitted good designs, or all the good ones are already on order.

The three shoes make no sense really with the 2nd one being the best out of the three. (Shoe #1) Blutcher and medallion toe don't really go together well IMHO, mix that in with the 6 eyelets and you have a really awkward shoe. 6 eyelets is tough and I think it only looks nice with either a plain toe or NST. Although the hampton last is spot on. Shoe #3 is also nonsensical. Why make a penny loafer with Chromexcel, may as well put a commando sole on it...The boots are okay, not much better. I like boot #1, but wish it were on a different last. Boot #3 is nice. Boot #2 would be hideous--just think of it. I think natural chromexcel is an iffy color, and it certainly won't look good paired with the wingtip.

I liked the results of the first contest MUCH more. Both winners were gorgeous. I don't know what happened this time....but hey, maybe everyone else thinks they're beautiful.

I truly respect your opinion but would love to hear your best idea for a boot and shoe. If I like it and if you don't mind, I'd love to make it.

GreatHighway

Reaction score
if i could get shoe #2 but in black chromexcel id be all over it. but going on whats there, boot #3 sounds very appealing. 'An American version of the country boot' is a great way to put it. maybe even put some of that extra perforation on it like that new plaza wingtip...

Aquaphor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreatHighway
if i could get shoe #2 but in black chromexcel id be all over it. but going on whats there, boot #3 sounds very appealing. 'An American version of the country boot' is a great way to put it. maybe even put some of that extra perforation on it like that new plaza wingtip...

I'm pretty sure leathersoul can make it in different leather variations sooner or later. Just gotta have the style produced first.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magic1

Too much Chromexcel. I was hoping to see suede, blue suede or something really interesting in the Tan Vegano Calf or one of the lesser used leathers.

bhptb1.jpg

Tan Vegano Calf PTB

I entered a cap toe boot in the vegano calf but understand that may not be the best use of the leather. I really wanted to see something different than Chromexcel. I am on Chromexcel overload. I was interested in shoe 3 but when I saw it was on the Van last I quickly became ambivalent and agree it could have a commando sole.

BOOT #3 is my favorite out of the lot and I am interested to see what it looks like.

I am in the market for a beefroll mocc in the next 2-3 months so I will see what shows up.

EDIT:

I would also like to add that the boat shoes Leather Soul has now look great. I would have liked to see brown but they look great and I was very tempted.

joz411no

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
I truly respect your opinion but would love to hear your best idea for a boot and shoe. If I like it and if you don't mind, I'd love to make it.
Tom, Has there ever been a navy suede or navy oiled newbuck longwing, with brass eyelets? I wanted that to be one of my votes but wasn't sure of them. I thought they'd go really nice with an antiqued edgetrim and double oiled waterlock sole. Oh well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads