• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by canamrenegade
Going to a wedding this weekend. The lady wants me to wear this new suit, but I'm not sure which brown (or black) to go with. Thoughts? It will be with the yellow shirt above, and I have a brown belt for each brown shoe... [of course one of my pairs needs polishing]

If I had to choose, black.

Please get rid of all of those shoes - those spatula toes are just hideous.

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kensington
What's a good place to buy bulk white dress shirts wit french cuff and regular cuff for cheap? Maybe $30-50 range.

TM Lewin - about your range. Don't get the white poplin or twill - poorly rated. The herringbone is supposed to be quite nice.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looking for a pair of suede brogues or semi-brogues. I don't want to spend more than $200 because suede can damage easily.

Also, they have to be a "G" (British) or "E" (American) fitting because I have very wide feet.

I've come up with these. Which looks the best? I'm leaning towards the Barkers.

capturejp.jpg

Links:

Loake 202
Herring Reading
Barker Albert

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to a wedding this weekend. The lady wants me to wear this new suit, but I'm not sure which brown (or black) to go with. Thoughts? It will be with the yellow shirt above, and I have a brown belt for each brown shoe... [of course one of my pairs needs polishing]

Both pairs should be burned immediately.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
Looking for a pair of suede brogues or semi-brogues. I don't want to spend more than $200 because suede can damage easily.

Also, they have to be a "G" (British) or "E" (American) fitting because I have very wide feet.

I've come up with these. Which looks the best? I'm leaning towards the Barkers.

capturejp.jpg

Links:

Loake 202
Herring Reading
Barker Albert

Seems to me you need to decide 1) if you want wing tip or cap toe, and 2) if wing tip, lighter or darker. It depends on what you plan on wearing them with. I would go with the Loake based on looks alone and my own preferences on the above two questions.

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need a cheap white pocket square ASAP.
Where can I find one at the mall?
(south coast plaza, so its got everything)

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Far left ones are terrible, like for anything. please please get rid of them. In the right picture, either of those two would be ok (black or the tannish, black probably preferable for a wedding). plus, yellow is meh. White for a wedding.

Originally Posted by was385
Im looking for some ankle boots to wear under jeans in the $200 range .Can anyone suggest any brands I should look at?
Try Clark Desert boots. They're pretty common, cheap, relatively durable, and look good with a variety of things.

Originally Posted by eglbc
I need a cheap white pocket square ASAP.
Where can I find one at the mall?
(south coast plaza, so its got everything)

Even one of those cheap and nasty tux rental places might work, or your basic department store. You may end up just buying a white cotton hanky and pressing it.

Newstyle

Reaction score
So I need help deciding on a pair of boots. I'm looking for a lace up brown "work" boot style. Right now I am looking at the Alden 405's and the Red Wing Beckman Moc Toe, but I can't decide what will be more versatile. I found the Alden's online for $319 shipped and the Red Wing's will look to be just under $300. I'm on a pretty strict budget and shouldn't be buying either but I'm going to.

My concern is the Red Wing's look very chunky while the Indy's look a little less and more refined. Neither will be used for work. I'm a 28yr college student (no job) so I want to make the best decision and feel happy about it.

I wear a lot of sport coats and dark jeans and dark chino's, patterened shirts, cardigans and knit ties. J. Crew style if this helps.

Any suggestions or experience with either would be much appreciated. Thanks

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
You may end up just buying a white cotton hanky and pressing it.

That's what a white pocket square traditionally is...

Any one who buys a special, expensive white pocket square deserves to be fleeced. White cotton is simple and classic.

antalion

Reaction score
I'm going to be wearing a pretty standard navy suit with very subtle plaid to a wedding next month along with a white shirt. Since the weather figures to be on the cold side, and because I've never really worn one, I was thinking about a sweater vest as well. I'll probably be wearing a pale green tie of some sort, depends on what I find between now and then, but I don't even know where to start with the sweater, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi folks. A sportcoat I bought online arrived yesterday and, when I tried it on, I noticed the single vent splits a bit in the back :-(

So, I'm hoping my tailor can determine whether there is enough fabric to let out at the hips and, if there is enough, fix the split. Can/do tailors do this? Or would I be wasting my time?

poissa

Reaction score
I'm taking the following to the tailor. What do I need to tell the tailor to ensure we are on the same page. I thought the shirt fits, perhaps the sleeves are too long. Does the shirt need to be taken in? Same with the yoke. Uploaded with ImageShack.us Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads