• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Guys, Need some advice I just found some Allen Edmonds Leeds in my size, and got them for free! (Clothing Donation at my college for business clothes for students) They look great but need to be cleaned up a little as they have been used. Can I use just regular black shoe polish on these shoes? What advice do you have to clean them up?
img0001pkt.jpg

LanceW

Reaction score
Leather conditioner until supple, then black polish. Maybe some edge treatment also.

Edit: Bengal-Stripe is correct. Those are cordovan ripples. I'm not sure how to condition the cordovan but it definitely requires brushing over polish now.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Any idea how worn these are? The insides of the shoes look new. At what point would you send these back to Allen Edmonds to get soles refitted?
img0002pk.jpg

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TylerDurden
I just found some Allen Edmonds Leads in my size, and got them for free!

Those shoe are shell cordovan - Congratulations!

Just use a horsehair brush and brush.....and brush.

If need be, use a tiny bit of wax polish. You can get special
stuff for shell cordovan, but ordinary Kiwi should be fine.

Just use very sparingly.....and brush.....and brush.

Those shoes should scrub up very nicely.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are shell cordovan, which means they should be polished as little as possible. They won't need much to make them look great.

1-wipe with a damp cloth
2-brush vigorously with a horse hair shoe brush
3-buff with smooth cloth
4-if necessary, use a very little bit of black paste wax polish. And don't polish again for a minimum of 15-18 wearings.

Do this after every time you wear them, and soon they'll look like new.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
Those are shell cordovan, which means they should be polished as little as possible. They won't need much to make them look great. 1-wipe with a damp cloth 2-brush vigorously with a horse hair shoe brush 3-buff with smooth cloth Do this after every time you wear them, and soon they'll look like new.
Did this, and they look almost new! Amazing!!!!
smile.gif
Sorry for the strange angle of the shot: After:
img0005hp.jpg

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My hope is that by the time I start working I will already have an impressive shoe wardrobe
smile.gif

I have enough that I am switching only to G&Gs, EGs, etc. I am trying to take the
foo.gif
approach to wardrobe building. Although it is slow, I think it will serve me in the long run!

And thanks for all the compliments on my modest collection.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TylerDurden
Did this, and they look almost new! Amazing!!!!
smile.gif
Sorry for the strange angle of the shot: After:
img0005hp.jpg

Having scored a USD600 pair of shoes for zip and being a student you should get them a Topy sole and they would be good to go and safe for many miles of walking around campus IMHO.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister
Having scored a USD600 pair of shoes for zip and being a student you should get them a Topy sole and they would be good to go and safe for many miles of walking around campus IMHO.
Thanks for all the advice. I decided to send them in for a full recrafting. I can feel the imprint of the previous owners foot (Slightly shorter then my foot), and would like to have the shoe mold to my foot. Total cost including getting the shoe (free) and a recrafting $120 (want shoe tree) for a Allen Edmonds Leeds Cordovan leather black.
smile.gif
I'll post some photos in a month or so when they should get back. $120 is allot of money on a college budget, but at least I'll be wearing nice shoes.

Aldehyde

Reaction score
E doesn't replace the insole or cork when recrafting, so it won't help fitting it to your foot. Sorry.

They do this because generally men are very happy with the way their shoes fit and don't want to re-break them.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aldehyde
AE doesn't replace the insole or cork when recrafting, so it won't help fitting it to your foot. Sorry.

They do this because generally men are very happy with the way their shoes fit and don't want to re-break them.

Are you sure they don't? That's what the vid shows.

at .03-4 secs at 0.27 secs

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads