• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew Fall/Winter 2010 Discussion

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have a j crew card and haven't gotten anything. my gf spends nothing at the store and i steal her coupons.
biggrin.gif

innocentbystander

Reaction score
There's no correlation. I recieved the 25% off card and I've only purchased a button down, sweatshirt and a pair of shorts the entire year.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Morgan
Is there any correlation between having a j.crew store credit card and getting 20% off coupons and 25% off cards? I spend thousands at j.crew every year but always turn down the store credit offer.

I got one of the 25% off cards and I don't have the credit card, nor have I spent a ton at J.crew... couple sweatshirts and the occasional clearance item.

Also, unrelated...
You spend thousands at J.crew each year? Why don't you upgrade to nicer stuff?

Ideefixee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Meis
I got one of the 25% off cards and I don't have the credit card, nor have I spent a ton at J.crew... couple sweatshirts and the occasional clearance item.

Also, unrelated...
You spend thousands at J.crew each year? Why don't you upgrade to nicer stuff?

... Yaa. A lot of J.Crew's stuff is very nice, but if you're spending THOUSANDS of dollars each year... I'd ponder trying to throw some higher-end products into the mix... !!

ffatt

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am still looking for either a 20% coupon or 25% coupon. If anybody has got one and wants to let go of theirs or perhaps do a purchase on my behalf, I would really appreciate it and will pay for it depending on what you have got.

Thanks,

shasta

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the fit of the Aberdeen Fair Isle Sweater?

I'm a Medium in the secret wash shirts, so should I go with that size on the sweater as well?

Ideefixee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shasta
Can anyone comment on the fit of the Aberdeen Fair Isle Sweater?

I'm a Medium in the secret wash shirts, so should I go with that size on the sweater as well?

Yea, I would stick with Medium, since you won't be washing it.

Morgan

Reaction score
In my defense, it doesn't take much to run into the thousands, when spread out over a year.

1 cotton Ludlow suit ~$400
1 Fair Isle sweater $100
1 solid tweed sport coat $265
1 sun-faded Stanton pant $70
4 pair socks $50
2 ties $120

That's $1,005 right there, and doesn't count random presents for the girlfriend, or low-price basic items like watch bands or vintage polos picked up on sale.

For what it's worth, I do have a number of prized higher-quality pieces by Paul Stuart Phineas Cole, Engineered Garments, Eternal, Pure Blue Japan, Iron Heart, RRL, & lots of Aldens and Crockett & Jones. I think the difference is that j.crew makes a lot of items that, while fairly costly, are just affordable enough that if you pick them up one at a time (or once per credit card billing cycle) you'll barely notice it. Unlike, say, a single pair of $650 whiskey shell cordovan shoes, which always makes you wonder what the hell you were thinking.

Ideefixee

Reaction score
In my defense, it doesn't take much to run into the thousands, when spread out over a year.

1 cotton Ludlow suit ~$400
1 Fair Isle sweater $100
1 solid tweed sport coat $265
1 sun-faded Stanton pant $70
4 pair socks $50
2 ties $120

That's $1,005 right there, and doesn't count random presents for the girlfriend, or low-price basic items like watch bands or vintage polos picked up on sale.

For what it's worth, I do have a number of prized higher-quality pieces by Paul Stuart Phineas Cole, Engineered Garments, Eternal, Pure Blue Japan, Iron Heart, RRL, & lots of Aldens and Crockett & Jones. I think the difference is that j.crew makes a lot of items that, while fairly costly, are just affordable enough that if you pick them up one at a time (or once per credit card billing cycle) you'll barely notice it. Unlike, say, a single pair of $650 whiskey shell cordovan shoes, which always makes you wonder what the hell you were thinking.

+1, man. That is my exact sentiment regarding J.Crew. Their products are nice enough to fool people into thinking you have designer clothes, that is, if they are foolish enough to believe it. Lol.

That, and their styles are pretty dope. Though I go for more of a rugged style, one with many personal idiosyncracies, yet sometimes I like to bust out a suit or a nice cardigan, which is where cheap (enough) J.Crew comes in.

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Reaction score
Unlike, say, a single pair of $650 whiskey shell cordovan shoes, which always makes you wonder what the hell you were thinking.

If you aren't giving those whiskey cordovans proper love, I will buy them off of you

dunelly

Reaction score
funny how i just spent $200 on basics at uniqlo, the coupon comes to me.
btw uniqlo is the ****, their shirt fits 10x better than jcrew. Now I might have to buy some sweaters though

Ideefixee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dunelly
funny how i just spent $200 on basics at uniqlo, the coupon comes to me.
btw uniqlo is the ****, their shirt fits 10x better than jcrew. Now I might have to buy some sweaters though

Yea, I am not very impressed by J.Crew shirts. At all. But their other products are top-notch, imho.

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ffatt
Hey guys,

I am still looking for either a 20% coupon or 25% coupon. If anybody has got one and wants to let go of theirs or perhaps do a purchase on my behalf, I would really appreciate it and will pay for it depending on what you have got.

Thanks,

You and me both, dude! I just want to purchase a shirt
smile.gif

Ideefixee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Froosh
You and me both, dude! I just want to purchase a shirt
smile.gif

Which shirt, if you don't mind my asking?

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ideefixee
+1, man. That is my exact sentiment regarding J.Crew. Their products are nice enough to fool people into thinking you have designer clothes, that is, if they are foolish enough to believe it. Lol.

That, and their styles are pretty dope. Though I go for more of a rugged style, one with many personal idiosyncracies, yet sometimes I like to bust out a suit or a nice cardigan, which is where cheap (enough) J.Crew comes in.

ah ok, yeah that isn't that much.

when you say "I spend thousands there each year" it sounds like you drop 3 to 5 grand or something each year...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads