• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help with a sport coat

downwithianbrown

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

so I was going to post this a few days ago, but I hesitated and did my due diligence looking online. I scoured ebay, checked all the sites that I know of, and didn't find anything.

so I turn to you.

I am looking for a sport coat for the fall. I want it to be gray wool (preferably a lighter gray) and 2 buttons. I'm a pretty big guy so would need a 44 or a 46.

My problem is, I have the idea of the sport coat in my head (it's nothing extra special) but I don't really know what to call it. Is it a gray tweed? Just a wool sport coat?

I don't normally post in mens fashion cus I am not very knowledgeable but any help would be appreciated. Pics, links, brands, anything.

the style would be more classic. I dress mainly in a rrl-ish classic style.

thanks.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by downwithianbrown
Hi Guys, so I was going to post this a few days ago, but I hesitated and did my due diligence looking online. I scoured ebay, checked all the sites that I know of, and didn't find anything. so I turn to you. I am looking for a sport coat for the fall. I want it to be gray wool (preferably a lighter gray) and 2 buttons. I'm a pretty big guy so would need a 44 or a 46. My problem is, I have the idea of the sport coat in my head (it's nothing extra special) but I don't really know what to call it. Is it a gray tweed? Just a wool sport coat? I don't normally post in mens fashion cus I am not very knowledgeable but any help would be appreciated. Pics, links, brands, anything. the style would be more classic. I dress mainly in a rrl-ish classic style. thanks.
Solid or patterned? If solid it could be flannel (patch pockets and horn buttons, or it will look like an orphaned suit jacket), or a tweed of sorts either solid or patterned. Gray herringbone is a very versatile look, and can be made in a number of tweeds (Harris or Donegal would be the classics). Donegal is the kind of tweed with the tiny multi-coloured flecks; Harris is the rough, hairy one. There are many other kinds. And there are cloths suitable for sportcoats that are neither a tweed nor a flannel nor a smooth worsted. Try a search to get an idea of the sort of cloth that appeals to you.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Post some pics of what you're talking about.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by downwithianbrown
Thanks Guys. i've tried finding pics to no avail. however, the link below is kind of close, to the look, but I was thinking a softer wool, i've seen them that are kind of fuzzy maybe. and a white smokish gray. apologies for lack of direction. I just don't know what the jacket isn exactly

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1280&bih=639

That's a tweed of sorts (doesn't look like a Donegal, Harris, or Shetland) in a herringbone pattern. It's a classic, so you won't be short of options. At this point the key factor is your budget.

downwithianbrown

Reaction score
thanks guys. I am an avid ebayer so I usually look for brands way out of my price range for a steal. any brands that make nice blazers? So far I've been looking for made in italy polo.

Newstyle

Reaction score
I recently bought the J. Crew ludlow tweed sportcoat, though the tweed isn't as heavy as a Harris tweed, but it's subtle has two black buttons and is comfortable. I took it to a tailor and had them take the sides in a bit, that's cause I wanted it fitted more than it was. It's lighter in color than in the picture.

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...7972/17972.jsp

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Ludlow? Thing barely has lapels. He said "sportcoat," not "Nehru jacket."

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's lots of stuff made of Harris Tweed on Ebay -- I'm sure you'll find a grey herringbone. Quality varies greatly from maker to maker.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a very nice looking coat.
il_fullxfull.50900044.jpg
I have a couple Polo herringbone tweed coats, one of which has elbow patches and the other an equestrian coat. Both are fantastic but are in the brown family, not gray. I think once you get your size (measured) down, you can go shopping on the web (eBay) and land a great specimen. My first was a multicolored windowpane number by Jones NY. Still have it, too. Couple old pics of the RL ones:

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for the grey one - you can do better than that - it looks like it's made of carpet, or carpet underlay, and the lapels are decades old.

bris-

Those jackets look better on than on the hanger. Wear them in good health!

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I like that herringbone pattern and have one just like it, which gets a lot of use.

OP, not to spam here, but I have a nice grey nailhead patterned sportscoat in a 44 for sale at a steal of a price incase you're interested. It's made by Club Monaco, which is owned by Polo, and I believe it was designed by Thom Browne. see signature below

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads