• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LynahFaithful
Tom - When you influence the creasing of your shell shoes with a pencil, where do you place the pencil and do you use it in more than one place? For example, on the cigar tassels, do you place the pencil under the tassel? Thanks.

One crease at the base of my toes, another crease slightly above that one.

HisAirness32

Reaction score
Are these 2 different colors or am I crazy?

hstom3.jpg

hst1.jpg

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HisAirness32
Are these 2 different colors or am I crazy?

hstom3.jpg

hst1.jpg

It's possible you are but they don't look identical to me either.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am not a professional photographer. I have no idea how to adjust lighting/color. I'm sorry for any confusion.

Newstyle

Reaction score
So I'm thinking about getting the Alden 405 Indy boot. Just curious on prefernces what color do people like better? My 2 choices are the Alden x j crew indy or the standard brown. I think I like the brown better.

tellure

Reaction score
I tried on the 405 in standard brown the other day and I quite liked it. It looks quite reddish in tone, and went well with a dark pair of jeans. I was originally looking for a burgundy/oxblood boot but I think the 405 in standard brown will fit the bill.

405.jpg

I must say the chromexcel leather has a much nicer finish though - the standard brown has a wax coat (?) which doesn't show off as much of the natural leather luster. Wish they had the reddish brown color in chromexcel.

I also saw the natural chromexcel in person and man it looks beautiful. Almost a bit irridescent. If the 405's in standard (reddish) brown work out for me I will definitely pick up a pair of these

40557H.jpg

Funny thing is, until I tried on a pair of 405's I thought they looked pretty ugly based on the photos
smile.gif
. Trying them on though they seemed much nicer, and man they were comfortable.

chestercopperpot

Reaction score
quick question here gang...

i'm about to pick up the brooks brothers tassel cordovan loafers but, i don't know what last it's on and whether or not they are true to size.

i'm a 10D in the barrie last (usually a 10.5 in most shoes)

itsjustadrian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tellure
I tried on the 405 in standard brown the other day and I quite liked it. It looks quite reddish in tone, and went well with a dark pair of jeans. I was originally looking for a burgundy/oxblood boot but I think the 405 in standard brown will fit the bill. I must say the chromexcel leather has a much nicer finish though - the standard brown has a wax coat (?) which doesn't show off as much of the natural leather luster. Wish they had the reddish brown color in chromexcel. I also saw the natural chromexcel in person and man it looks beautiful. Almost a bit irridescent. If the 405's in standard (reddish) brown work out for me I will definitely pick up a pair of these Funny thing is, until I tried on a pair of 405's I thought they looked pretty ugly based on the photos
smile.gif
. Trying them on though they seemed much nicer, and man they were comfortable.

Honestly, all the stock photos of the Indys make them look really ugly. But in person...they're gorgeous.
39347671.jpg

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chestercopperpot
quick question here gang...

i'm about to pick up the brooks brothers tassel cordovan loafers but, i don't know what last it's on and whether or not they are true to size.

i'm a 10D in the barrie last (usually a 10.5 in most shoes)

Prettty sure they're not the Barrie - probably Aberdeen.

hexproof

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
Probably wouldn't be a good idea...the oil and residue would get all over your pants.

Good point. Any suggestion on which color Alden belt would match kudu leather the best?

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I met a gentleman several months ago wearing amazing boots... shell #8, Barrie last, high boots, the usual speed hooks, plain toe blucher (no crepe sole)... basically the boot version of the 990. He mentioned he purchased them from Leather Soul a couple years prior.

Any dying chance in hell I'd be able to get a pair sometime in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads